Dancing With the Dems

Warren

Re: Dancing With the Dems

Post by Warren » 02 Dec 2019, 20:07

Eric the .5b wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 19:35
Warren wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 08:35
Everything is an "idealistic fantasy" until it happens.
So how does denouncing every success they actually have as a terrible failure make "it happen"?
I'm not denouncing every success. I'm just saying Johnson '16 was unenergized and inarticulate compared to Johnson '12 and Weld deliberately stabbed us in the back by pimping for HRC.
I'm hoping for something better in '20.

We'll see who the Dems put forward.
Honestly I think Biden is suffering from early stage dementia of some sort. I don't think he's going to be able to go out in public by election day. He's always been a bit of an odd duck, but lately what with the hairy legs and finger nibbling, I really think he's becoming a stranger to reason. Which puts the Dems in a tight spot.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by thoreau » 02 Dec 2019, 21:39

If Biden's neurological health declines any further he can always become the GOP nominee.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Dec 2019, 00:06

ALZHEIMER'S 2020!

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Dec 2019, 00:08

thoreau wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 21:39
If Biden's neurological health declines any further he can always become the GOP nominee.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Dec 2019, 01:15

Warren wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 20:07
We'll see who the Dems put forward.
Honestly I think Biden is suffering from early stage dementia of some sort. I don't think he's going to be able to go out in public by election day. He's always been a bit of an odd duck, but lately what with the hairy legs and finger nibbling, I really think he's becoming a stranger to reason. Which puts the Dems in a tight spot.
The Dems are in a tight spot. Warren is sputtering out, Bernie was always a non-starter, and black voters don't like the Butt.

Uncle Joe is still the front-runner and he'll be lucky if he can hold his own pudding spoon by inauguration day. I still think Warren will be the nominee because superdelegates and other backroom shenanigans and it's her turn and no lessons were learned from 2016.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Dec 2019, 07:29

Is it her turn?

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Dec 2019, 08:15

Not sure what logic "her turn" applies to Warren. Their turn applies to Biden and Bernie, but with the exception of HRC last year, Dems don't do their turn for non-winning VP candidates the same way Republicans consistently have (Trump being the notable exception).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 03 Dec 2019, 08:26

Mo wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 08:15
Not sure what logic "her turn" applies to Warren. Their turn applies to Biden and Bernie, but with the exception of HRC last year, Dems don't do their turn for non-winning VP candidates the same way Republicans consistently have (Trump being the notable exception).
Maybe not VP candidates per se, but both parties have a history of running boring old party warhorses because they deserved it, had a high profile, knew all the right people, or whatever, and predictably losing. Romney, Kerry, McCain, Gore, Dole...
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Dec 2019, 08:38

JD wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 08:26
Mo wrote:
Maybe not VP candidates per se, but both parties have a history of running boring old party warhorses because they deserved it, had a high profile, knew all the right people, or whatever, and predictably losing. Romney, Kerry, McCain, Gore, Dole...
Gore was VP from a successful two term administration. The Republicans, dating back to Nixon have basically run "their turn" candidates every election.
Nixon (former VP and pres nominee), Ford (unelected president), Reagan (runner up in 76 primary), Bush (VP), Dole (runner up in 88), Bush (something something poppy), McCain (runner up in 00), Romney (runner up in 08). Dems do trot out the occasional warhorses, but you get more wild cards (Obama, Carter, Clinton, Dukakis).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Dec 2019, 12:58

Also, reminder that Kerry overperformed fundamentals.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Dec 2019, 13:57

I actually think Warren's nom would be a signal that the youth vote captured the party. She's the most electable of those the SDA and affiliated kid commies prefer. She makes almost all of their favorite noises.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Dec 2019, 14:17

Kamala's out. I guess her campaign workers will have to find other work fighting fires or cleaning up highway shoulders for $0.15 an hour.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JD

Post by JD » 03 Dec 2019, 14:18

Mo wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 08:38
JD wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 08:26
Mo wrote:
Gore was VP from a successful two term administration.
That's actually kind of the definition of "boring old party warhorse", if you ask me! You have to ask yourself: would this person look like a dynamic, motivating candidate if they hadn't been VP or whatever?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Dec 2019, 14:42

Klobuchar and Castro both deserve consideration.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Masked Grylliader

Post by Masked Grylliader » 03 Dec 2019, 14:57

Castro has replaced President Butt for me as the candidate I like because he said something I respected one time, and then I tried not to find out anything else about him lest it ruin his appeal.

I'm depressed by how many people I know are lamenting Kamala Harris dropping out of the race. She's a fucking cop, guys; she was gross and this should be a happy day for all of us.

-Ellie
Remember, remember

Shem

Post by Shem » 03 Dec 2019, 16:05

Gonna be either Warren/Booker or Warren/Klobuchar. Might have gone with Warren/Deval Patrick to calm the centrists, but they're both from Mass.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Dec 2019, 17:38

Warren Booker would be my guess right now too.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Dec 2019, 17:51

I think Warren will be a weak candidate against Trump. I really hope the Dems pick someone else.

I think that in office she'd be far less radical than some here fear, because of institutional constraints, but I question whether she could win that office to test my hypothesis.
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Dec 2019, 18:34

Masked Grylliader wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 14:57
Castro has replaced President Butt for me as the candidate I like because he said something I respected one time, and then I tried not to find out anything else about him lest it ruin his appeal.

I'm depressed by how many people I know are lamenting Kamala Harris dropping out of the race. She's a fucking cop, guys; she was gross and this should be a happy day for all of us.

-Ellie
Today, I read this remark by someone before the announcement:
She hired her sister to run her campaign? At a time when we need a candidate who can take a clean shot at Trump for his raging nepotism and cronyism? Sorry, Kamala, you just lost my vote.
And I just don't even. All the stuff out there about Harris, and not only is this the first you hear of that, but that's the straw that breaks your back?

Some people.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Dec 2019, 18:42

thoreau wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 17:51
I think Warren will be a weak candidate against Trump. I really hope the Dems pick someone else.
I'm slowly growing suspicious of the idea that they'll choose anyone but Biden. His lead appears to be growing, and he has the support of older voters and older black voters (aka "people who actually vote").

All the people bullish on Warren strike me as having wandered into an echo chamber in how they perceive her support among Democrats and the public in general. But I think that's of a piece with all the actually-pretty-left-wing people who who've seized on the idea that this election is their chance to finally take over the Democratic Party and the country.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Dec 2019, 19:23

I think Butt is still twerking.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Dec 2019, 21:25

It is true that every democrat I know is a Warren true believer and that influences my take. They skew young but not super young.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 Dec 2019, 23:54

Biden is a really old white guy who won't change much if anything. Plus he'll bring over the people who have an issue with melanin count in skin but are petrified that you would suggest such a thing.

He would win handily I suspect.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Dec 2019, 00:07

Pham Nuwen wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 23:54
Biden is a really old white guy who won't change much if anything. Plus he'll bring over the people who have an issue with melanin count in skin but are petrified that you would suggest such a thing.

He would win handily I suspect.
But we need a good look at his VP choice. (AKA #47)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Dec 2019, 01:46

I actually heard one of the talking heads advance the theory that Biden's supporters are fine with him sleeping and playing with his oatmeal all through his term in office because his staff will do a better job of running things than DJT.
That's a lot of faith in a staff that hasn't been named yet.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT