If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Jennifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Jennifer » 07 Sep 2019, 21:42

Jennifer wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 17:56
In addition to vaccinations, basic medical care, beds, soap and toothpaste, inmates in our diffusion camps are also denied sanitary products to the point where women in the camps are visibly bleeding through their pants and underwear.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/migrant- ... vZgTC3c-Ow
Also, turns out menstruating on a prison uniform is justification for ICE to punish women by putting them in solitary confinement.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ts/597433/
Contraband sugar packets, calling a border guard a “redneck,” menstruating on a prison uniform, kissing another detainee, identifying as gay, requesting an ankle brace—these are just some of the reasons Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials have placed detained immigrants in solitary confinement.

ICE and Department of Homeland Security documents obtained by The Atlantic provide one of the clearest snapshots to date of what immigrant-rights advocates say is the agency’s excessive, arbitrary, and punitive use of this form of isolation....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2019, 02:33

So, apparently, the old rule used to be that people of the Bahamas did not require visas to enter the US, only their passport and copy of their police report showing they're not criminals. Then came Hurricane Dorian, and Bahamians evacuating on a ferry to the US learned mid-voyage that the US changed the rules.

And here is Trump justifying it on the grounds that Bahamians are gang members, drug dealers and bad people.

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Sep 2019, 04:33

The man has no standards.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2019, 04:52

Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 04:33
Nor ethics nor morals nor the slightest hint of anything remotely resembling a conscience. And the same holds true for anyone who still supports him.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Sep 2019, 05:25

Jennifer wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 04:52
Eric the .5b wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 04:33
Nor ethics nor morals nor the slightest hint of anything remotely resembling a conscience. And the same holds true for anyone who still supports him.
Oh I don't doubt some people do, thanks to partitioning and denial.

But for him, this is a reptilian lack of.... No, that's wrong, many reptiles care for and protect their young, and they won't give you any trouble unless you make them feel threatened. This outright, active malevolence is perfectly human, it's just breathtakingly sociopathic.

It's of a piece with a story I read about him looking over the construction site if one of his hotels or apartments, and he noticed the Braille signage by the elevators. "What's are those bumps?" he said, and when it was explained, he said, "Take those out, we won't have any blind people staying here."

(I imagine some sort of giant alligator with enhanced intelligence swapped out for Trump. He'd ask, "Will Bahamians hurt Barron?" and, upon being told no, would let Barron out of the protective shelter of his jaws and have no problem. Then, he'd go flop out on the Rose Garden to sun for several hours. Maybe have a pleasant conversation with Melania if she wandered by. It's be like Dave with a giant alligator who was nicer and a better president than Trump.)

(Wouldn't work, though. Nobody would think Trump would go out in public comfortably displaying his baldness.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Sep 2019, 17:21

Immigration Judge V. Stuart Couch, to a 2-year-old child: “I have a very big dog in my office, and if you don’t be quiet, he will come out and bite you!”

Instead of being fired, Couch was promoted, to the Board that has final say on who gets deported.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 11 Sep 2019, 07:13

Damn.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Sep 2019, 13:34

Damn fine avatar, tuco.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 12 Sep 2019, 07:24

It's like you know me better'n I know myself.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Sep 2019, 19:56

Cali bans private prisons, including ICE detention centers.

The private prisons angle is a joke of course (Blues can stop worrying about the justice system, now!), but including ICE detention centers in that is a shot across the frickin' bow. The four affected facilities are a significant part of the whole; ICE only has fifteen adult facilities in the country.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 13 Sep 2019, 11:26

Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 19:56
Cali bans private prisons, including ICE detention centers.

The private prisons angle is a joke of course (Blues can stop worrying about the justice system, now!), but including ICE detention centers in that is a shot across the frickin' bow. The four affected facilities are a significant part of the whole; ICE only has fifteen adult facilities in the country.
I wish there were a little more detail about how exactly that will work, but it's the Guardian, so... yeah. Because there's a kinda relevant Supreme Court case on the issue. The article mentions something about how the cities are contracting with a private prison company who in turn contracts with ICE, so perhaps that's the way California can get around it.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Sep 2019, 11:50

Pretty sure I know what the Feds' response is going to be:

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Oct 2019, 18:27

The Syphilitic Roman Emperor doesn't even realize that the snakes go on the plane, not in the moat.

He also thinks US soldiers should shoot immigrants.
Privately, the president had often talked about fortifying a border wall with a water-filled trench, stocked with snakes or alligators, prompting aides to seek a cost estimate. He wanted the wall electrified, with spikes on top that could pierce human flesh. After publicly suggesting that soldiers shoot migrants if they threw rocks, the president backed off when his staff told him that was illegal. But later in a meeting, aides recalled, he suggested that they shoot migrants in the legs to slow them down. That’s not allowed either, they told him.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/us/p ... -wars.html
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Oct 2019, 23:17

thoreau wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 18:27
The Syphilitic Roman Emperor doesn't even realize that the snakes go on the plane, not in the moat.

He also thinks US soldiers should shoot immigrants.
Privately, the president had often talked about fortifying a border wall with a water-filled trench, stocked with snakes or alligators, prompting aides to seek a cost estimate. He wanted the wall electrified, with spikes on top that could pierce human flesh. After publicly suggesting that soldiers shoot migrants if they threw rocks, the president backed off when his staff told him that was illegal. But later in a meeting, aides recalled, he suggested that they shoot migrants in the legs to slow them down. That’s not allowed either, they told him.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/us/p ... -wars.html
But only in the legs.

I mean, yes in the head/chest in a perfect world, but apparently murdering migrants is TECHNICALLY against some sort of law. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Oct 2019, 23:55

What sickens me is that there are motherfuckers out there who will read that and be all "Yep, that's why I voted for him!"

Maybe we should lock them in filthy and overcrowded camps and deny them medication.

Or get Zombie Sherman to finish what he started.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Oct 2019, 04:53

thoreau wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 23:55
What sickens me is that there are motherfuckers out there who will read that and be all "Yep, that's why I voted for him!"
I could understand uninformed people getting a laugh out of the Dr. Evil absurdity of it and not believing that he could be serious. But we're a few camps and dead kids from informed people having a safe chuckle. We are in bat country, and we can't stop here.
thoreau wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 23:55
Or get Zombie Sherman to finish what he started.
I'm afraid Sherman never marched on New York or New Jersey. With his fans popping out of the woodwork just about everywhere, Trump can't be blamed on the South.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Oct 2019, 05:26

Eric the .5b wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 04:53

I'm afraid Sherman never marched on New York or New Jersey. With his fans popping out of the woodwork just about everywhere, Trump can't be blamed on the South.
Plus, while Georgia went overall for Trump, Atlanta sure as hell didn't.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Oct 2019, 10:22

Yeah, I know, the troglodytes are everywhere.

Perspective is not something that enters into the mind after reading about calls to shoot desperate families in the desert.
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Oct 2019, 10:54

thoreau wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 10:22

Perspective is not something that enters into the mind after reading about calls to shoot desperate families in the desert.
From Suetonius and Tacitus, I understand Caligula was very popular with the plebians.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Oct 2019, 13:19

thoreau wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 10:22

Hence it being offered by people sympathetic to your anger who'd be in the free-fire zone in that fantasy.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Oct 2019, 21:38

DHS is going to start collecting DNA from detained immigrants
The move would funnel thousands of new records to the F.B.I., whose extensive DNA database has been limited mainly to genetic markers collected from people who have been arrested, charged or convicted in connection with serious crimes.

There have long been calls to collect immigrant DNA records to help identify criminals who have previously been in immigration custody but may not otherwise be known to the authorities. Congress passed a law authorizing a broad collection of DNA data in 2005, but at the time an exemption was put in place to protect immigrants.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JD

Post by JD » 03 Oct 2019, 10:59

(I thought I'd posted this yesterday, but I can't find it, so apparently not.)

Trump's comments about moats full of snakes and electrified spikes really point up what a bizarre fantasy world he lives in. His comments are more appropriate for World War Z* than for a 2000-mile-long border crossed daily by thousands of traders, tourists, and legal immigrants as well as illegal immigrants.

* Well, I don't know if the snakes would work against zombies, but YKWIM.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Oct 2019, 15:25

JD wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 10:59

Trump's comments about moats full of snakes and electrified spikes really point up what a bizarre fantasy world he lives in. His comments are more appropriate for World War Z* than for a 2000-mile-long border crossed daily by thousands of traders, tourists, and legal immigrants as well as illegal immigrants.

* Well, I don't know if the snakes would work against zombies, but YKWIM.
I doubt Trump can imagine personally crossing an international border except by flying even pre-presidency, and he sure as hell doesn't have any sympathy for people who actually do stuff like haul goods or drive to and from Mexico on legitimate business. So, sure, it makes perfect sense to me that he'd come up with movie gimmick images for his fucking wall.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Oct 2019, 13:08

JD wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 10:59

I was thinking it sounds more like "national defense as devised by a five-year-old."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Oct 2019, 07:48

In case you were wondering how our concentration camps are doing:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xwv ... D=ref_fark
The Trump administration’s so-called “zero-tolerance” policy didn’t just separate thousands of families — it left them with long-lasting emotional trauma. And a lawsuit filed on their behalf by the American Civil Liberties Union Thursday details just how distressing that separation could be.

Filed in Arizona federal court on Thursday, the suit is the ACLU’s latest attempt to fight the Trump administration's policies that resulted in thousands of migrant children being forcibly taken from their parents at the border over several months in 2018. When they were reunited, the government had trouble reuniting families because agencies failed to keep adequate records on which children arrived with which caretakers.

In some cases, kids who were too young to communicate were asked to point to their country’s flag so officials could narrow down who their parents were and where they might be, according to the suit. And parents were even deported to their native countries without their children. ... Some of the children named in the suit were also allegedly physically abused by shelter staff. Beatriz, the young Guatemalan girl who forgot her native language after spending several months away from her family, had bruises on her legs and a scar on her back when she was reunited with her father. When her father asked what caused the marks, the suit claims that Beatriz said a shelter staffer in New York hit her with the metal end of a belt.