Petty annoyances

Aresen

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 01 Aug 2018, 20:09

I feel that the consumer electronics industry is missing a bet by not developing the 42 inch cell phone screen.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Aug 2018, 14:07

The Minnesota Department of Vehicle Services doesn't even have a phone queue. Of the two numbers available for the main help line, one gives you a busy signal and the other one says, "No one is available to take your call. Please try again later."
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 29 Aug 2018, 20:08

Ellie wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 14:07
The Minnesota Department of Vehicle Services doesn't even have a phone queue. Of the two numbers available for the main help line, one gives you a busy signal and the other one says, "No one is available to take your call. Please try again later."
But they gave you a choice of numbers. That's called "customer service".
Besides, you have a redial button.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Aug 2018, 11:14

I signed up for a Wells Fargo bank account online. Awesome! Gave all the info online, paid the opening deposit online, got email saying it was approved, got debit card in the mail.

One problem: I can't activate the card or access the online banking without the account number, and nothing they've sent me by email or regular mail has the account number on it.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Aug 2018, 13:14

I'm still getting monthly rent payment reminder emails from my old building. This is now the third one since after my lease ended.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Sep 2018, 14:49

Woke up thinking I was coming down with another crippling fever-illness making me miserably hot, sweaty and clammy... come to find out when I'd shut the windows before going to bed that morning, I'd forgotten to turn the air conditioner back on. Doesn't take a virus to make you miserably hot, sweaty and clammy if you're sleeping under a blanket in an 83-degree room.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Sep 2018, 21:32

Why the fuck does my urine smell like a litter box all of a sudden?
This is really worrisome. :?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Sep 2018, 23:11

I like supermarket sushi, but I don't like wasabi. Yet the little wasabi ball always leaks over the barrier and makes the end piece taste nasty.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jake

Post by Jake » 03 Sep 2018, 00:41

Warren wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:32
Did you eat asparagus recently?
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 03 Sep 2018, 02:17

Dear woodpecker,
I do not appreciate your incessant hammering on my house siding at 6AM. Please stop.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2018, 09:59

Jake wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 00:41
Warren wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:32
Did you eat asparagus recently?
No, I'm already use to that. I started getting asparagus pee like five or ten years ago. But maybe I didn't eat much asparagus before then and didn't notice it.
This is very similar. Showed up about a week ago. Possibly unrelated I am having sever leg cramps unlike any I've had before.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2018, 10:03

Kwix wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 02:17
Dear woodpecker,
I do not appreciate your incessant hammering on my house siding at 6AM. Please stop.
Ha ha ha ha. Not a chance.
Is he hammering on wood? We've got some Red-bellieds that hammer on the gutters just to make noise I think. They don't seem to be doing any damage. See if they're pecking into the wood. If they are, you've got problems. It means they're digging for insects which means the wood is rotting, which means your house is falling apart.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 03 Sep 2018, 14:42

Warren wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 10:03
Kwix wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 02:17
Dear woodpecker,
Is he hammering on wood?
Yes. On the wall directly behind the headboard.
Warren wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 10:03
If they are, you've got problems. It means they're digging for insects which means the wood is rotting, which means your house is falling apart.
Not quite. Funny story and I'll see if some ASCII art helps.
The house is sided in T1-11/8o.c.. When this particular batch of panels was manufactured they didn't glue the center lamination edge to edge but instead left about an 1/8" gap somewhere in the middle of the panel. Then when the 8o.c. grooves were cut it exposed this gap. So now there is a bug friendly tunnel between each groove. I haven't been diligent in caulking all of the holes and where I haven't there are now a nice straight line of holes thanks to Mr. Woody. I'll have to patch them before I repaint the place in the spring.

...................................................................................Groove V
..........________________________.........._______________________..........
..........|..................................................................................|...........|..................................................................................|
|========================|...........|========================| ---Bug Tunnel
___|_______________________|___|_______________________|

nicole

Post by nicole » 04 Sep 2018, 12:24

Rahm isn't running for reelection, which is a shock, and can't possibly be good news. Everyone is still mad at him for closing a few schools. CPS delenda est.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Sep 2018, 16:02

For a long time I thought 'that guy can't be Josh Lyman' but now I totally believe it.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2018, 12:21

People like to take pictures for Yelp, reviews on Google, etc. However, at bars, the most common picture seems to be "glass of beer with bar behind it". Dear people: pretty much every glass of beer at a bar looks exactly like every other glass of beer at a bar. Stop taking that picture, because it is not useful.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2018, 13:39

JD wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 12:21
People like to take pictures for Yelp, reviews on Google, etc. However, at bars, the most common picture seems to be "glass of beer with bar behind it". Dear people: pretty much every glass of beer at a bar looks exactly like every other glass of beer at a bar. Stop taking that picture, because it is not useful.
Meh. It's better than more cat pictures.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 11 Sep 2018, 19:08

Warren wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 13:39
JD wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 12:21
Meh. It's better than more cat pictures.
**quickly covers Ellie's ears**
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Sep 2018, 18:46

In preparation for a possible hit by Hurricane Florence, for the past couple days I've been eating as much fridge and freezer food as possible, and filling that vacated space with bottles of water. The overwhelming majority of plastic water-storage (as opposed to sealed, pre-filled water) bottles I have are one of two varieties: narrow one-liter bottles which originally held club soda, and squat one-gallon jugs which originally held a certain brand of unsweetened iced tea. For both of them, of course, I know not to fill them with water all the way, but instead leave a little room at the top for the freezing water to expand.

Turns out not to matter, because somehow, even though water freezes from the top down, in small sealed environments such as capped liter or gallon-sized bottles, the ice apparently expands from the bottom rather than the top. Which is to say: those frozen-solid water bottles and jugs clearly still have that bit of empty space available at the top, but their concave bottoms all swelled out and became convex. Which in turn means those frozen-water bottles will not/cannot stand up straight by themselves, not with their rounded Weeble-Wobble bottoms.

On the bright side, when I opened the freezer door just now to add another gallon jug of liquid water, I did manage to catch the frozen-solid gallon before it could fall out of the freezer and land on my foot. Yay!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Sep 2018, 16:31

Jeff and I both forgot that, regarding our last DVD player, the specific reason we bought that model was because it could handle all DVD "codes" -- as in, you could watch American or British discs. Alas, our Blu-Ray does not, which I discovered last night when I tried watching a certain import.

JD

Post by JD » 20 Sep 2018, 13:10

JD wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 10:37
Google News' "Technology" section is now about 45% videogame stuff and 45% cellphone stuff.
I would like to revise my opinion. It's about 48% each.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Sep 2018, 23:35

JD wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 13:10
JD wrote:
Google News' "Technology" section is now about 45% videogame stuff and 45% cellphone stuff.
My beef with The Algorithm is that I watch a bunch of gardening videos, three lectures on soil biology, a blacksmithing playlist, and *one* GPU teardown, and my "" "CuRatED HomEPAge uhhhDeeerRP"" shows me nothing but fucking BlackOps and Fortnite videos when I refresh.

I'm becoming less worried about Big Data.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Sep 2018, 10:32

Dangerman wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 23:35
JD wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 13:10
JD wrote:
My beef with The Algorithm is that I watch a bunch of gardening videos, three lectures on soil biology, a blacksmithing playlist, and *one* GPU teardown, and my "" "CuRatED HomEPAge uhhhDeeerRP"" shows me nothing but fucking BlackOps and Fortnite videos when I refresh.

I'm becoming less worried about Big Data.
Except that The Algorithm automatically adds you to the FBI, NSA, Secret Service and SPLC watch lists. :P
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Oct 2018, 20:33

Whoever writes the episode descriptions for AT&T cable REALLY needs to stop putting spoilers in them, especially for mystery/crime shows like "Alfred Hitchcock Presents."

JD

Post by JD » 12 Oct 2018, 11:23

Holy Christ, I hate Lucene query syntax. "Hey, let's invent something kind of like either globbing or regexes, but not exactly either one! And let's let people kind-of-sort-of embed regexes in their queries, but not really complete regexes!"