Orange is the new President

Kolohe

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Kolohe » 06 Sep 2018, 14:42

thoreau wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 11:50
Only the best people.
In the end, Happer was not tapped as Science Advisor by the Trump administration, but E&E News reported Tuesday that he is now a member of the National Security Council.

Happer was previously listed as the director of a group called the “CO2 Coalition,” which has a website that claims that CO2 released from fossil fuels stimulates global plant growth while having no real effect on Earth’s climate. (Both claims are false.) He has also taken to referring to the field of climate science as a “cult movement.”
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09 ... y-council/

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't appoint a Lysenkoist.
It's got what plants crave!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Sep 2018, 21:28

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 07 Sep 2018, 21:40

thoreau wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 21:28
He just threatened to ruin Canada:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... afta-talks
Really, shouldn't he let Justin Trudeau finish his shot at it first?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Sep 2018, 16:01

So, denying the citizenship of Latinos born near the border was only step one. Now they're denying the citizenship of (presumptive) white people born in the middle of the country (and people who already had US passports):

https://www.kctv5.com/news/kansas-woman ... 2a97a.html
Born and raised in Kansas, Gwyneth Barbara didn’t expect this kind of hassle.

Barbara had been issued a U.S. passport before, but this time around, Barbara was told her birth certificate wasn’t good enough to prove her citizenship.

“It’s like they’re retroactively declaring that I was never a citizen,” Barbara said.

Barbara was born in a farmhouse in the 1970s in Leavenworth County. She had a birth certificate. Her father went to the courthouse days after she was born to certify her birth -- raised seal and all.

The local passport agency accepted her documentation as satisfactory for her passport application. Days later, she received a letter from the federal division of the U.S. Passport Agency out of Houston, TX, telling her the application was denied and required further documentation.

“I have a birth certificate it was accepted before, why wouldn’t it be accepted again?” Barbara explained.

The letter stated, because her birth certificate was not issued at a institution or hospital, it was not considered proof enough of her citizenship.

She received a letter asking her to submit any number of the listed additional documents.

“Border crossing card or green card for your parents issued prior to your birth? My parents were born in the United States….Early religious records? We don’t have any. Family Bible? They won’t accept a birth certificate but they will accept a family Bible?” Barbara said.

Meantime, she did her best to dig up any of the random documents she was be asking to provide.

“I was absolutely furious ... I went to sleep yelling at the passport agency in my head. I woke up yelling at them in my head,” she said.

After weeks of unreturned phone calls and unanswered questions, Barbara contacted U.S. Senator Jerry Moran’s office for help. The senator’s office launched an inquiry and followed up with another. A few days later, Barbara received her passport in the mail, with no explanation.

According to the federal website, there is no policy stating a birth certificate must come from a hospital or other official institution. To see all of the requirements click here.

When KCTV5 called the U.S. Passport Agency, the employee answering the phone said a county issued birth certificate for a home birth was acceptable for a passport application, but in some cases, that decision is made on a "case by case basis."

When KCTV5 asked the U.S. Passport Agency for an interview or comment, KCTV5 received an email directing KCTV5 to the passport application website.

KCTV5 contacted Moran’s office, asking for more details concerning what transpired after Barbara contacted the senator’s office and soon received her passport in the mail. A spokesperson for Moran told KCTV5 that the office was not able to comment on private citizen issues.

Barbara is concerned, if this happened to her without this being an official federal policy, what may happen next. She contacted KCTV5 because she felt it was important to notify citizens about what was, to her, a surprising, inexplicable hurdle she had to overcome to prove she was born in the United States.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Sep 2018, 20:19

Jennifer wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 16:01
So, denying the citizenship of Latinos born near the border was only step one. Now they're denying the citizenship of (presumptive) white people born in the middle of the country (and people who already had US passports):

https://www.kctv5.com/news/kansas-woman ... 2a97a.html
Born and raised in Kansas, Gwyneth Barbara didn’t expect this kind of hassle.

Barbara had been issued a U.S. passport before, but this time around, Barbara was told her birth certificate wasn’t good enough to prove her citizenship.

“It’s like they’re retroactively declaring that I was never a citizen,” Barbara said.

Barbara was born in a farmhouse in the 1970s in Leavenworth County. She had a birth certificate. Her father went to the courthouse days after she was born to certify her birth -- raised seal and all.

The local passport agency accepted her documentation as satisfactory for her passport application. Days later, she received a letter from the federal division of the U.S. Passport Agency out of Houston, TX, telling her the application was denied and required further documentation.

“I have a birth certificate it was accepted before, why wouldn’t it be accepted again?” Barbara explained.

The letter stated, because her birth certificate was not issued at a institution or hospital, it was not considered proof enough of her citizenship.

She received a letter asking her to submit any number of the listed additional documents.

“Border crossing card or green card for your parents issued prior to your birth? My parents were born in the United States….Early religious records? We don’t have any. Family Bible? They won’t accept a birth certificate but they will accept a family Bible?” Barbara said.

Meantime, she did her best to dig up any of the random documents she was be asking to provide.

“I was absolutely furious ... I went to sleep yelling at the passport agency in my head. I woke up yelling at them in my head,” she said.

After weeks of unreturned phone calls and unanswered questions, Barbara contacted U.S. Senator Jerry Moran’s office for help. The senator’s office launched an inquiry and followed up with another. A few days later, Barbara received her passport in the mail, with no explanation.

According to the federal website, there is no policy stating a birth certificate must come from a hospital or other official institution. To see all of the requirements click here.

When KCTV5 called the U.S. Passport Agency, the employee answering the phone said a county issued birth certificate for a home birth was acceptable for a passport application, but in some cases, that decision is made on a "case by case basis."

When KCTV5 asked the U.S. Passport Agency for an interview or comment, KCTV5 received an email directing KCTV5 to the passport application website.

KCTV5 contacted Moran’s office, asking for more details concerning what transpired after Barbara contacted the senator’s office and soon received her passport in the mail. A spokesperson for Moran told KCTV5 that the office was not able to comment on private citizen issues.

Barbara is concerned, if this happened to her without this being an official federal policy, what may happen next. She contacted KCTV5 because she felt it was important to notify citizens about what was, to her, a surprising, inexplicable hurdle she had to overcome to prove she was born in the United States.
Equal tyranny under the law.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Sep 2018, 20:47

Trump wants to rename NAFTA the USMC pact

Hey! They could play the Marine Hymn at every meeting. I am sure that would go over well with the Mexicans.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JD

Post by JD » 14 Sep 2018, 12:01

This is just...highly embarrassing.

Diplopundit has also collected some of the best responses, like
atomicbell wrote:The very nature of diplomacy makes it relatively uncool. There’s a reason that James Dean didn’t star in ‘Rebel with a Sensible Plan for Improved Water Sanitation in the Lower Mekong Delta.’
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Sep 2018, 12:26

JD wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 12:01
This is just...highly embarrassing.

Diplopundit has also collected some of the best responses, like
atomicbell wrote:The very nature of diplomacy makes it relatively uncool. There’s a reason that James Dean didn’t star in ‘Rebel with a Sensible Plan for Improved Water Sanitation in the Lower Mekong Delta.’
Swagger and smarm. It's the Trumpian way.

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Sep 2018, 13:27

I’m sad that diplopundit is a diplomacy pundit rather than a pundit on Diplo.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Sep 2018, 15:53

Toad is trending because people love him. DO NOT look for another reason.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Baby Groot

Post by Baby Groot » 18 Sep 2018, 16:15

Shem wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 15:53
Toad is trending because people love him. DO NOT look for another reason.
I am Groot :evil:

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Sep 2018, 19:24

Trump's tariffs are more costly than Obamacare's taxes.

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Sep 2018, 06:59

Someone actually said a tariff is not a tax.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Sep 2018, 11:29

Rosenstein's out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/us/p ... trump.html

In honor of this moment, here's a playlist of songs that I (with my notoriously shitty taste) enjoy from the Nixon era:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... MfpRxoKstR
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 24 Sep 2018, 11:50

Headline is out of date; he's not considering resigning, he expects to be fired
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Sep 2018, 12:16

Mo wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 06:59
Yes. And in the first few comments.

I can't stop laughing.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Sep 2018, 14:18

Shem wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 11:50
Headline is out of date; he's not considering resigning, he expects to be fired
Now it's being reported that he'll have a meeting with Trump on Thursday. So, still on the job.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/24/politics ... index.html
--Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Sep 2018, 14:37

Aresen wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:16
Mo wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 06:59
Yes. And in the first few comments.

I can't stop laughing.
That actually was sarcasm. sarcasmic hates the Trumpkins.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Sep 2018, 15:14

Then I apologize. Because I’ve seen that point made elsewhere in all seriousnesss.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Sep 2018, 18:45

Trump is an "absolute no" on statehood for Puerto Rico, because he doesn't like the mayor of San Juan.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Sep 2018, 19:13

New York's statehood should be revoked until they tear down Trump Tower.
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Sep 2018, 19:23

I've given up being amazed by Trump's utter pettiness, but continue to be amazed by how he doesn't even have enough self-awareness to try to hide it.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Sep 2018, 20:55

Good thing that officially per the Constitution, the Prez isn't involved.
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Sep 2018, 09:09

Kolohe wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 20:55
Good thing that officially per the Constitution, the Prez isn't involved.
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress
Doesn't the president need to sign the enabling act?

Mo

Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 25 Sep 2018, 12:05

So the UNGA actually made Trump blush with embarrassment for (sorta) calling him out on a dumb lie.

ETA: Notable because I was surprised he could feel shame for being called out on a lie