The Techno-Bleg Thread

Jadagul

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Jadagul » 14 Sep 2018, 20:19

I'm not an expert here, but I did like half an hour of reading into SEO over the summer. That doesn't make me an expert on SEO, but I think it places me well to understand what half-formed ideas your coworker is reacting to.

The SEO sites worry a lot about setting things up so that the Google crawler doesn't get distracted into following a bunch of trivial sites. But the paradigmatic case was something where you have some sort of dynamic generation thing going on and there are hundreds of addresses that point to the same actual page. Then Google sees that as a bunch of shitty low-traffic pages, gives up after crawling through two or three actual pages of material, and doesn't index your site well or rank it highly.

But that's an issue for newly generated content that has large multipliers for dynamic generation; and you handle that by setting flags that tell Google what the canonical version of your page is. (I think this corresponds to "infinite spaces" and "duplicate content" in the FAQ you linked).

It sounds like your coworker might be getting wires crossed with that sort of thing, though.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 24 Sep 2018, 20:19

I frequent a sports forum that may have some sock puppet nonsense going on. Is it possible to see a poster's IP or other identifier to see if someone is using two or more accounts?

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Sep 2018, 21:33

Painboy wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 20:19
I frequent a sports forum that may have some sock puppet nonsense going on. Is it possible to see a poster's IP or other identifier to see if someone is using two or more accounts?
It is possible, but the forum software needs to be able to do it, and have it enabled. If it's a concern for the whole board, then telling the forum owner or manager might encourage them to turn it on.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Sep 2018, 21:36

If it's a phpbb forum like we have here, the admin definitely can. I don't know about other types of boards.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 25 Sep 2018, 01:29

I'll speak to the admin then. Thanks!

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Sep 2018, 10:44

Snitches get stitches
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Oct 2018, 14:07

I like Firefox web browser. Been using it for years and I'm comfortable with it. Know where most of the settings are etc.
Some time ago, not sure exactly when, reddit and pinterest stopped loading for it. reddit simply loads "Sorry, we have failed you. Try refreshing!" in plain text and pinterest loads the page but then puts a "Something went wrong" popup that neither the x nor the "OK" button will close.

I've tried running firefox in safe mode. No change. Any ideas?
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Oct 2018, 18:46

Too aggressive on content blocking?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Oct 2018, 19:56

Did you clear the cache files for Firefox? Are you running a bunch of plugins that might be interfering? There doesn't seem to be anything intrinsic to firefox, since I can load both sites on it on my computer.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Oct 2018, 19:58

I cleared my cookies and that seems to have fixed it.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Oct 2018, 20:22

Tossing your cookies? You're now qualified for the Supreme Court!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Oct 2018, 21:38

Kolohe wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 20:22
Tossing your cookies? You're now qualified for the Supreme Court!
So I've got that going for me.

Which is nice.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Nov 2018, 18:12

The AC adapter for one of my monitors looks to have died. I chatted with the company that made it and they offered to send me a new one but with a $30 shipping fee. I found an AC adapter on amazon for $12 that appears to have all the same specs and connections type. The only difference is that it doesn't have a grounding prong on it. It's going to be plugged into an expensive surge/line filter so I'm not worried about the grounding. Is there any reason that it wouldn't work?

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Nov 2018, 19:14

The answer is that it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that you have a cord that matches the power brick (or that it comes with one), and that the power brick then has the correct connector to your monitor, especially polarity. Assuming that it actually does meet the same output specs (which is likely).

This seems to be a good rundown: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/choose ... ne-laptop/

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Nov 2018, 20:01

Huh. I don't think I've ever interacted with a monitor that didn't just plug directly into the wall.

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Nov 2018, 20:39

Jadagul wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 20:01
Huh. I don't think I've ever interacted with a monitor that didn't just plug directly into the wall.
It's just a design decision whether to put the AC-DC adapter inside the housing of the monitor, or to keep it outside. Every flat-panel monitor is going to have one anyway, and there are pros and cons to each. If Painboy's had been inside the housing, he'd be getting a new monitor now, rather than a 12 dollar power brick.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Nov 2018, 22:26

So this is on the back of the ac adapter I have:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wz6rhmhyjg8gu ... 1.jpg?dl=0

And this is the one I was looking at buying:

As far as I can tell have all the same numbers and the connector looks the same.

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Nov 2018, 22:35

That one of those amazon links that don't show up for other people? I don't see the one you're buying.

ETA: If you quote, you can see the link. Yes, that should be fine. Polarity, Voltage, and current all match. The different in what plugs into the wall is just what they decided to use for that cord.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 08 Nov 2018, 01:32

Highway wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 20:39
Jadagul wrote:
It's just a design decision whether to put the AC-DC adapter inside the housing of the monitor, or to keep it outside. Every flat-panel monitor is going to have one anyway, and there are pros and cons to each. If Painboy's had been inside the housing, he'd be getting a new monitor now, rather than a 12 dollar power brick.
Oh, I figured there was one somewhere. I just don't think I've ever seen a monitor that didn't just take a regular monitor cable interchangeable with every other monitor and computer power cable.

JD

Post by JD » 08 Nov 2018, 08:18

Painboy wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 18:12
The AC adapter for one of my monitors looks to have died. I chatted with the company that made it and they offered to send me a new one but with a $30 shipping fee. I found an AC adapter on amazon for $12 that appears to have all the same specs and connections type. The only difference is that it doesn't have a grounding prong on it. It's going to be plugged into an expensive surge/line filter so I'm not worried about the grounding. Is there any reason that it wouldn't work?
I agree that it should be fine function-wise as long as it matches the specs. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that some of the cheap adapters are cheap because the manufacturers cut a lot of corners. Some of the discussion on Amazon mentions that it is not UL listed.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Nov 2018, 12:06

Jadagul wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 01:32
Highway wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 20:39
Jadagul wrote:
Oh, I figured there was one somewhere. I just don't think I've ever seen a monitor that didn't just take a regular monitor cable interchangeable with every other monitor and computer power cable.
It's actually a drawing pen monitor so they may have done that to keep things as thin as possible. Also keeping it internal might interfere with how the pen interacts with the display. But that's just speculation.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 09 Nov 2018, 23:47

I use a Korea>US adapter (That is, the native Best Korean power cord plugs into the adapter, which has the correct US-sized dual prongs. It's a contraption.) for my QNIX panel and it doesn't have a grounding prong. No problems for years now and it's zip-tied onto the power-strip because it doesn't have a lot of surface area so it's wiggly.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 09 Nov 2018, 23:56

Well bad news on the adaptor I bought. Despite looking exactly the same size, the one I bought is apparently a nanometer too small and won't slot in. Looking around online, anything that might work, like ones with changeable tips, are close to $30 or more. So I just bit bullet and sent the manufacturer the cash to get their adaptor. At least I hope it ships quick.