Mo

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 23 Jul 2018, 02:37

Pham Nuwen wrote:
Mo wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 15:08
You be you Alabama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nat ... 16d051f550
Yeah. That sounds about right. Righteousness, hypocrisy, thinly veiled racism, and delusion. That's about what I remember living down there.
Thinly veiled?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jul 2018, 04:09

He got out before Trump ascended. It was more often veiled than it is now.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Jul 2018, 11:26

I often explain to people that religion in the South is .... something else. Whatever that something else is it's not Christianity as most of the country or world practices. Some weird mix of nationalism, fatalism, misogyny, and throw in a bunch of -isms. It was always weird as shit for me down there.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2018, 11:46

The daily discussion of what heaven will be like is just bizarre to me. Catholics talk of a better next life in communion with the Lord, but we don't have daily discussions of the sort of house we'll have. It sounds a bit like "Tell me about the rabbits, George."
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Jul 2018, 12:05

They are the equivalent of medieval peasants.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Jul 2018, 13:47

President Tantrump went Full Capslock last night.

To Iranian President Rouhani: NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN OR YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE. WE ARE NO LONGER A COUNTRY THAT WILL STAND FOR YOUR DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH. BE CAUTIOUS!
And of course, since for every Trump tweet there is an equal and opposite Trump tweet:

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2018, 13:50

When will Republicans wake up and realize that Pence is perfectly capable of signing tax cuts and appointing conservative judges?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Jul 2018, 13:57

thoreau wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 11:46
The daily discussion of what heaven will be like is just bizarre to me. Catholics talk of a better next life in communion with the Lord, but we don't have daily discussions of the sort of house we'll have. It sounds a bit like "Tell me about the rabbits, George."
true, but in the context of american christianity, catholics are pagans and these guys are low information millenialists.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jul 2018, 13:58

Pham Nuwen wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:05
I dunno. At some point, it's just downright cultish.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Jul 2018, 14:00

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:58
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Eric don't think it be what it is ... but it do.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Jul 2018, 14:01

thoreau wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:50
When will Republicans wake up and realize that Pence is perfectly capable of signing tax cuts and appointing conservative judges?
Soon as they're willing to at least tacitly admit they were wrong about supporting Trump in the first place.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jul 2018, 14:06

thoreau wrote:
When they realize that they won't get primaried by psychos for being the deep state and stopping the yahoos from MingAGA and basically being the swamp. So never.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Jul 2018, 15:12

Pham Nuwen wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 14:00
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:58
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Eric don't think it be what it is ... but it do.
Sorry?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Jul 2018, 15:16

Jennifer wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 13:47
President Tantrump went Full Capslock last night.

549 down, 911 days to go.
(I am optimistic.)

As I have said before, I do not want anything to happen to Trump while he is in office. Though I will amend that slightly to add 'unless it is impeachment for something that causes even his fanbase to desert him.' [I have no idea what that could be, simply because he has crossed so many 'red lines' before.]

If something causes him to 'ascend into Baptist Heaven', we will have decades of conspiracy theories. I've been through that since Nov 22, 1963. I don't want to go through it again, especially as the conspiracy theories would be crazier than ever.

If he keeps his fanbase supporting him, ANY removal from office for ANY reason is going to have the same conspiracy theories plus a heightened sense of 'we-wuz-robbed' grievance that will poison political discourse for a generation.

Judging from his tweets, it appears that my prior wish he develop severe explosive bowel incontinence has come to pass.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Jul 2018, 15:18

Oscar Gamble joke. I don't think it's a cult or anything. I think those people are just waiting to die. They aren't going to improve themselves or their situations without a lot of work. A lot more work than they would ever do. It's a lot easier to just engage in fantasy. Which they do.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 23 Jul 2018, 15:34

I remain curious how anybody on the Left thinks Pence would be better for their domestic issues than Trump. Pence is a true believer, which the Donald ain't. Of course, I also see a lot of WHARGARBL about how if Trump gets impeached he takes Pence down with him in some unspecified fashion. I don't see that, frankly.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2018, 15:42

I don't think Pence would be better for the left on the issues per se. I think he'd be as good for the right but also more stable for the country as a whole. Many (not all) liberals would gladly have Pence because they're pretty sure he won't accidentally start a war while rage-tweeting. Conservatives should take them up on that, because they'd get a guy who would still do the things they want domestically, and a guy who wouldn't accidentally start a war while rage-tweeting.

However, Trump offers one thing that Pence can't offer: Trump assures the base that America is a country where that guy at the bar who says "Man, if I were President, you know I'd tell them what's what!" can actually be President and live out his fantasy. Pence is way too straight-laced for that.
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Jul 2018, 16:09

thoreau wrote:
As soon as they're willing to disembowel their party by impeaching a President still supported by at least 8 out of 10 members of their party.

They might be slime, but they know their own self-interest far better than you do.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Jul 2018, 16:21

Shem wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 16:09
They might be slime, but they know their own self-interest far better than you do.
Only self-interested slime survive to reproduce.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Jul 2018, 16:34

Shem wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 16:09
thoreau wrote:
As soon as they're willing to disembowel their party by impeaching a President still supported by at least 8 out of 10 members of their party.

Here's what sincerely baffles me, though -- regarding their own self-interest -- I'd say that by now, their self-interest WOULD coincide with standing up to Trump. I'm imagining this from the perspective of a Repub, even one who genuinely thinks "So long as I and those family members I care about are fine, I give not the slightest shit about the country as a whole, or anything else" -- okay, if they stand up to Trump the "worst" thing that'll happen to them is, they might lose the next re-election. Which kinda sucks, except for these mitigating factors: one, they're all still independently wealthy, so it's not as though they need fear dire economic consequences for losing their jobs. Two: whatever brownie points they'll lose with Trump's ever-shrinking base would be more than made up by the people outside the base who'd gain a newfound respect for the guy: no, you probably wouldn't be able to ride the Fox News Pundit gravy train, but every sane media org in the English-speaking world would fill that vacuum. Three: even if you lose the next election because of the Trumpsters, there's still a chance you could win the election after that (or whenever the Trumpsters are flushed out of the electoral system).

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Jul 2018, 16:46

Why the fuck would a 65-year-old who had been mainlining power for the past two decades care about losing their fix and gaining a spot on TV? Why would they sacrifice their current gig for a "maybe someday," when statistically, half of those Methuselahs will be dead within 10 years, and the other half might be able to outlive the wave while keeping their seat?

I sometimes feel like you guys don't grasp just how addicting the ability to command life and death over millions of people is. I think you might have an easier time understanding why politicians do what they do if you did.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Jul 2018, 16:54

Shem wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 16:46
I sometimes feel like you guys don't grasp just how addicting the ability to command life and death over millions of people is. I think you might have an easier time understanding why politicians do what they do if you did.
If we were talking about dictators, sure -- no mystery to me why Kim Jong Un would rather be God-Emperor of Shitholeland than a mere Super-Rich Ordinary Citizen of the World. But U.S. Senators and Congressmen -- and especially state-level elected reps -- yeah, they have more political power than everyone on this forum combined (which is no great bar to pass), but they don't have THAT much power -- it's not "I command life and death over millions of people" but "I am one out of either a hundred or five-hundred something votes which, in aggregate, command life and death over millions of people." (And for the state-level legislators it's not even that much; more like "I have a single vote out of many which, in aggregate, command life and death over, like, a bond issue or something.")

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2018, 16:57

A state legislator can do favors for people who matter in their district. They're big and important. Locally, at least. Most of them value that more than being loved by MSNBC. Because unless they really want a media career, their local relationships will last longer than the short-lived adulation that MSNBC gives them for being the guy who went against the wishes of the locals.
--Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jul 2018, 17:04

Team Shem on the incentives. There is no horizon beyond the next election they’ve already done and said too much to stay in power. All they care about is current electoral liability among their base.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Jul 2018, 17:07

Jennifer wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 16:54
Shem wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 16:46
If we were talking about dictators, sure -- no mystery to me why Kim Jong Un would rather be God-Emperor of Shitholeland than a mere Super-Rich Ordinary Citizen of the World. But U.S. Senators and Congressmen -- and especially state-level elected reps -- yeah, they have more political power than everyone on this forum combined (which is no great bar to pass), but they don't have THAT much power -- it's not "I command life and death over millions of people" but "I am one out of either a hundred or five-hundred something votes which, in aggregate, command life and death over millions of people." (And for the state-level legislators it's not even that much; more like "I have a single vote out of many which, in aggregate, command life and death over, like, a bond issue or something.")
The only comparison I can think of that might explain it to you is the Court of Louis XIV. If you were a member of the Court - welcome at Versailles - you were somebody. If you were not, you were nobody. Many Court nobles ruined themselves financially for the opportunity to be at Court. Many were fully aware of the financial troubles that the 'Sun King' was bringing upon France. But they sold themselves in the struggle to join the Royal Court and gain favor.

For Congressmen, being in Congress means they are Somebody. Outsiders are Nobodies. And anyone forced out has little chance of becoming a Somebody again. They are addicted to their position.