Petty annoyances

JD

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by JD » 08 May 2018, 15:20

Cat bites hurt. My cat Fury bit me the other day, although I don't really blame her. We have a kind of metal scrollwork headboard on the bed, and Fury likes to walk through it in order to get to the windows behind it, so she can watch birds. On Saturday morning about 6 AM I was woken up by a sudden struggling and squalling. Fury had apparently been walking through the headboard when she slipped, and she fell and got caught in part of where the scrollwork narrowed. She was kicking and struggling violently and yowling, and I had to try and get her out before she got hurt, before she kicked my wife in the head (probably with claws extended), and without climbing on my wife's head myself.

I grabbed Fury and managed to extract her, but she was panicking and sank her fangs into my hand when I grabbed her. At first I didn't even think she had broken the skin, but when I went to wash my hand it was definitely bleeding. Cat fangs are like needles - the wound wasn't big but was very painful for its size. It didn't get infected, but it's still pretty sensitive.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 May 2018, 13:47

Aaaaand the fucking air conditioner isn't working. High today of 90 degrees. And we're on the top floor, with south-facing windows.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 12 May 2018, 23:16

Jennifer wrote:
12 May 2018, 13:47
Aaaaand the fucking air conditioner isn't working. High today of 90 degrees. And we're on the top floor, with south-facing windows.
That sounds like slightly more than petty, given where you live. Is the AC your responsibility or your landlord's?
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 May 2018, 23:30

JD wrote:
12 May 2018, 23:16
Jennifer wrote:
12 May 2018, 13:47
That sounds like slightly more than petty, given where you live. Is the AC your responsibility or your landlord's?
Landlord's. I called and left a message at the 24-hour emergency maintenance number -- according to that prerecorded message, it qualifies as an "emergency" if the AC is out and the exterior temperature is over 80; it was 90 today -- but of course got no response. Probably too busy printing bogus threats to actually do their fucking jobs.

Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 91 or 92. Jeff will leave another message, which I'm sure will be ignored again.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 May 2018, 12:10

Document the exact time you called, and write down what you said to them verbatim. I'm pretty sure you're already doing this, but it matters.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 May 2018, 16:09

Called the emergency number again. Also called (had Jeff call) the non-emergency number they'll presumably check after office hours start, since they clearly don't bother checking the actual 24/7 emergency hotline.

Another petty annoyance: I cannot go for my daily exercise walk today. I mean, I could, but I don't want to, because I know the sweat I generate will not dry once I get home.

The one saving grace -- such as it is -- is that the nights have been relatively cool. I got the internal temperature down to 75 degrees before Jeff and I went to bed this morning. It's 81 in here now; 92 outside. I'm chugging ice water like it'll be outlawed tomorrow.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 May 2018, 17:10

[Multiple mumbled obscenities] So, our calls to the 24/7 emergency-maintenance hotline this weekend were never returned; I tried calling the regular maintenance number during office hours today and got a voicemail saying that number is not in service; finally walked to the office despite my official persona non grata status and was told they'd fix it. This was five+ hours ago. Jeff woke up a couple hours later, went to the office, and was told their phone system is messed up (no shit), but supposedly our AC WILL be fixed today, even if it's after business hours (which it is, as I type this).

On the bright side, if that sociopath is lying again, at least the heat wave is breaking tonight; tomorrow's high temperature is only supposed to be 79 degrees (compared to our current indoor temperature of 82, and 90 outdoors).

Somewhat tarnished silver lining: if you're trying to lose a little weight, living sans air conditioning in a Georgia heatwave is a good way to do it, because you won't want to consume anything heavier than ice water. [Drinks nth gallon of the day]

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 May 2018, 21:06

Quelle surprise: maintenance never showed up. (It's now after nine pm and after full dark, so I'm confident in saying they won't be fixing the AC tonight.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 May 2018, 19:08

Something is VERY wrong with our air conditioner, which is fairly new (IIRC this one was installed in September 2016). Maintenance guy came by yesterday, determined the coolant levels in the outside unit were fine, but checked inside the utility closet and discovered the filter was utterly filthy--for all we know, it might be the original from when this place was built in the late 90s. So he replaced it, in hope of solving the problem. It didn't; when he left, around five or five-thirty, the interior temperature was 80 degrees; at 8 o'clock, after the AC ran non-stop, the interior temperature had only dropped to 79 (compared to the low-70s temps outside). So I turned off the AC and opened the windows.

So he came by again today -- outdoor temp mid-70s, indoor temp 83 -- this time he replaced or cleaned the turbine-looking fan in the interior unit and turned on the AC. Eventually the interior temperature dropped to 80 -- though it took longer than it should have, I thought, considering that outdoors was cooler than indoors -- and then it STAYED at 80 degrees for well over an hour despite the outdoor temperature being much cooler (it's now 73 outside). So I just turned off the AC again, and was able to see the maintenance guy before he left work for the day; I regretfully informed him that the AC still is not working.

Might there be some sort of "blockage" between the outdoor unit and the start of the interior vent system? That is the only theory I have left (not that I know enough about central AC units to make many educated guesses).

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 16 May 2018, 20:19

Jennifer wrote:
16 May 2018, 19:08
Might there be some sort of "blockage" between the outdoor unit and the start of the interior vent system? That is the only theory I have left (not that I know enough about central AC units to make many educated guesses).
The way a central A/C works is pretty simple. The big, noisy box outside compresses coolant (herein referred to as freon) from a gas into a liquid, cools it via the fan and then pumps it into your house via tubing (usually copper). It is routed to the box inside your apartment. Inside of that are (usually a pair of) radiators called coils. No kidding, open it up sometime, they look just like a car's radiator. This is called the "A coil", as it's a cooling coil that is shaped like this: /\, one radiator on each side. When the freon is injected into these coils it expands from a liquid to a gas and that takes thermal energy which cools the gas. While the now frigid gas is in the coil a squirrel cage fan (that which you called a turbine) blows warm air from the house, through the coils and into your duct work. From here the now room temperature gaseous freon moves back outside to be compressed into a liquid and the cycle begins again.
Since the freon levels are good there is no leak in the freon plumbing.
Other options are as follows:
  • Dirty air filter = no air over coils = warm air in house (this was fixed).
  • Dirty coils from a dirty filter = same issue.
  • Break in the A/C ductwork in your walls or ceiling = same issue.
  • Bad squirrel cage fan = same issue (this was also fixed).
  • Bum thermostat not sending a signal to the A/C unit to turn on = the A/C not turning on.
To test these, while your A/C is on, hold your hand up to a register. If you can feel a good breeze, then it's likely the problem is elsewhere. Check a few in different rooms just to ensure there isn't a break in your duct work. On the other hand if there is minimal airflow and it feels nicely cool, then it's likely your airflow is blocked, meaning the guy will have to clean the coils.

Outside in the big box:
  • The compressor can fail
  • The cooling fan can stop working
  • The vanes can get clogged up keeping the unit from cooling the compressed freon
If you know which box is yours (follow the cooling lines from your exterior wall) then you can check to see that the fan is spinning when your A/C should be on and that there aren't a whole bunch of kudzu vines or live oak leaves blocking the airflow on the sides of the unit. There isn't a whole bunch you can do to check the compressor, leave that to the pros.

Edited for clarity.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 May 2018, 19:29

I just found out that the town nearest to where I live, and the one I do all of my shopping in, passed a plastic bag ban in January (takes effect July 1). Jeebus what stupidity. Clearly there was little notification on anyone's part as the city council mentions that in the week leading up to the first public hearing there were a total of 47 emails, 46 in support of the ban.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 May 2018, 15:10

Fucking fruit-fly season has started again. And I fear the ones in my apartment are evolving into an entirely new species that is impervious to the enticing smell of apple-cider-vinegar traps.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 May 2018, 15:22

If they fly around your head, they are gnats. I don't know how you get fruit flies without old vegetables and fruits laying around.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 May 2018, 15:32

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
29 May 2018, 15:22
If they fly around your head, they are gnats. I don't know how you get fruit flies without old vegetables and fruits laying around.
They're definitely fruit flies, not gnats, and apparently in the Atlanta area they are EVERYWHERE. I remember last year being appalled by how many I had -- especially since my housekeeping standards have considerably improved since I moved here, in self-defense -- but Jeff told me that all of his colleagues had the same problem, and they even had fruit-fly infestations at his job. (Bear in mind he works in TV, and the specific rooms in which he works are rooms where food is NEVER brought, for fear of spilling something and wrecking a zillion-dollar piece of equipment -- yet the damned flies were in every room. Last year, the locals blamed it on the wetness outdoors -- wet ground, lots of damp and rotting vegetation, and no matter how well-constructed a building is, there WILL be holes through which the little bastards can make their way in.)

In Connecticut, I only ever saw them in the immediate vicinity of the kitchen sink-drain, and pouring a bit of bleach down the drain (in addition to vinegar traps) generally kept the problem to a minimum. Not here.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 May 2018, 15:53

Ah, excellent: two more of the little bastards got snagged by the kitchen vinegar trap. DIE DIE DIE all of you.*

*Fruit flies, not humans reading this.

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jun 2018, 11:57

Speaking of insects, the other day I was walking down the street and an insect flew directly into my eye. Do you remember the Aeon Flux intro scene? It was like that.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 08 Jun 2018, 14:34

I don't remember the part where she freaks out and smacks her face.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Jun 2018, 17:28

JD wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 11:57
Speaking of insects, the other day I was walking down the street and an insect flew directly into my eye. Do you remember the Aeon Flux intro scene? It was like that.
Were you wearing the thigh high purple boots though?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jun 2018, 17:36

Kolohe wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 17:28
JD wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 11:57
Were you wearing the thigh high purple boots though?
and a chastity belt?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Jun 2018, 20:34

Something is wrong with Jeff's car; we were out driving and visiting various shops today (VERY hot: sunny, low 90s, and muggy as a steam room), when the "overheating" alarm kept going off. So we had to turn off the AC, roll down the windows and turn on the heat to cool down the engine. He's currently taking my car to the auto shop to buy some coolant, but after reading his car manual, we rather doubt low coolant is the problem.

(Counts only as a "petty" annoyance because we can easily afford repairs, and he can take my POS car to work if his is out of commission for awhile. But, damn! That drive home was utterly miserable. Also, we were planning to go to a meetup tomorrow night, in separate cars, so he could go straight to work afterwards while I drove myself home, but of course if we're down to one car we'll have to skip that.)

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jun 2018, 21:30

Could be fan, fan belt, coolant levels, or most seriously, water pump. Well, cracked/warped head leading to coolant loss is most serious. Or cracked block. But those are unlikely. Most serious probable cause is water pump, which ain't that serious.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Jun 2018, 21:59

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:30
Could be fan, fan belt, coolant levels, or most seriously, water pump. Well, cracked/warped head leading to coolant loss is most serious. Or cracked block. But those are unlikely. Most serious probable cause is water pump, which ain't that serious.
Don't know what this signifies, but: as soon as I turned on the heat, the temperature gauge almost IMMEDIATELY dropped from the "danger zone" to the halfway point.

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Jun 2018, 23:20

It doesn't signify much of anything. That's a good amount of thermal mass that you just allowed it to use to dump heat into, so it should react quickly.

Low coolant is likely the immediate issue, but it's probably indicative of some other problem. The things that lunch said, and I'd add the possibility of a busted hose or cracked radiator. Make sure the overflow reservoir is filled up to the correct line, and then see if it loses coolant after use. The rate of loss will tell you how quickly you need to get it repaired (until your radiator top tube fitting cracks and sprays coolant all over the inside of the engine bay, like I got).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Jun 2018, 23:34

At least there wasn't steam or smoke coming from under the hood. That's a good sign, right?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Jun 2018, 14:10

Oh duh. Forgot radiator hoses.

And you may not get steam if it's a slow leak that just dropped coolant levels.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR