It doesn't matter if you're black or white

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17867
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by dbcooper » 19 Aug 2017, 02:07

Google banned Gab from the Play Store.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/first ... 15401.html
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 20569
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Jennifer » 19 Aug 2017, 17:00

The dichotomy between "Christopher Cantwell, the Captain Badass of the Vice documentary" and "Christopher Cantwell, the sobbing Nazi a day or two later" is a freakin' textbook-perfect example of how these people can't see any flaws in themselves, yet magnify any flaws in their opponents.

CAPTAIN BADASS CANTWELL: "I’m not even saying we’re nonviolent .... We’re not ‘nonviolent.’ We’ll fuckin’ kill these people if we have to."

SOBBING NAZI CANTWELL: ""I'm watching CNN talk about this as a violent, white nationalist protest. We are trying to make this peaceful. We are trying to be law-abiding. And our enemies will not stop. What options do we have left?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12224
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Highway » 19 Aug 2017, 17:10

I think that magnification of flaws was evident from that asswipe's description of Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and Tamir Rice as "acting like savages" and therefore deserving of being killed early on in the Vice video. It's totally a "We were just innocently swinging our fists here, and people get mad at us when other people's noses get in the way! It's not fair!"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 20569
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Jennifer » 19 Aug 2017, 17:17

Highway wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 17:10
I think that magnification of flaws was evident from that asswipe's description of Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and Tamir Rice as "acting like savages" and therefore deserving of being killed early on in the Vice video. It's totally a "We were just innocently swinging our fists here, and people get mad at us when other people's noses get in the way! It's not fair!"

Definitely. But that one self-evidently contradictory (well, self-evident to all except Cantwell and his fellow travelers) is just such a facepalmingly perfect example of what I was saying to Fyodor yesterday-- the closet you can get to understanding these people i to realize "They seriously believe 'I can say or do whatever I want and that's fine, but ANYBODY who annoys me -- even to tell me 'Knock it off, asshole' -- is brutally victimizing me'." Not true "solipsism" in the sense of believing "I am the only real person here; everyone else is just an illusion," but solipsism's first cousin -- "My rights, and desires, are the only ones that matter; anyone else's are oppressing me." (And, thus, why they blame a nefarious conspiracy of Jews for everything they dislike -- it's not that black Americans, or women, or similary shat-upon groups had legit reasons to be genuinely tired of the way they/we were treated by society; it's that those dastardly Jews maliciously used 'em as a cudgel to make life suck for white American men.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6796
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by fyodor » 19 Aug 2017, 18:05

Jennifer wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 17:00
The dichotomy between "Christopher Cantwell, the Captain Badass of the Vice documentary" and "Christopher Cantwell, the sobbing Nazi a day or two later" is a freakin' textbook-perfect example of how these people can't see any flaws in themselves, yet magnify any flaws in their opponents.

CAPTAIN BADASS CANTWELL: "I’m not even saying we’re nonviolent .... We’re not ‘nonviolent.’ We’ll fuckin’ kill these people if we have to."

SOBBING NAZI CANTWELL: ""I'm watching CNN talk about this as a violent, white nationalist protest. We are trying to make this peaceful. We are trying to be law-abiding. And our enemies will not stop. What options do we have left?"
It's all PR, and playing the victim well can pay off. Well, and so does playing the all-powerful tough guy.... The tricks a good director can pull off!!
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 20569
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Jennifer » 19 Aug 2017, 18:52

fyodor wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 18:05
Jennifer wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 17:00
The dichotomy between "Christopher Cantwell, the Captain Badass of the Vice documentary" and "Christopher Cantwell, the sobbing Nazi a day or two later" is a freakin' textbook-perfect example of how these people can't see any flaws in themselves, yet magnify any flaws in their opponents.

CAPTAIN BADASS CANTWELL: "I’m not even saying we’re nonviolent .... We’re not ‘nonviolent.’ We’ll fuckin’ kill these people if we have to."

SOBBING NAZI CANTWELL: ""I'm watching CNN talk about this as a violent, white nationalist protest. We are trying to make this peaceful. We are trying to be law-abiding. And our enemies will not stop. What options do we have left?"
It's all PR, and playing the victim well can pay off. Well, and so does playing the all-powerful tough guy.... The tricks a good director can pull off!!
Sure, but the thing is, I don't think he's simply playing the victim; I think he sincerely believes he is the victim. The idea that his "enemies" might have legitimate, rational reasons to feel the way they do about him does not compute. Nor does the idea that maybe, just maybe, he might've been the instigator in at least some of his "enemies" dislike of him.

Some time ago I posted a link to a university's online archive of German totalitarian propaganda, both Nazi and East German Communist -- the thing about the Nazi stuff is that, of course, at no point do they say "Yeah, we're evil bigoted bastards hurting Jews for no good reason"; the gist of the Nazi argument is that they're acting in self-defense. The Jews started it, the Jews are attacking us, we are peaceful people who only want to live our lives but the Jews won't allow this.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
fyodor
Posts: 6796
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:18

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by fyodor » 20 Aug 2017, 17:53

Jennifer wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 18:52
fyodor wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 18:05
Jennifer wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 17:00
The dichotomy between "Christopher Cantwell, the Captain Badass of the Vice documentary" and "Christopher Cantwell, the sobbing Nazi a day or two later" is a freakin' textbook-perfect example of how these people can't see any flaws in themselves, yet magnify any flaws in their opponents.

CAPTAIN BADASS CANTWELL: "I’m not even saying we’re nonviolent .... We’re not ‘nonviolent.’ We’ll fuckin’ kill these people if we have to."

SOBBING NAZI CANTWELL: ""I'm watching CNN talk about this as a violent, white nationalist protest. We are trying to make this peaceful. We are trying to be law-abiding. And our enemies will not stop. What options do we have left?"
It's all PR, and playing the victim well can pay off. Well, and so does playing the all-powerful tough guy.... The tricks a good director can pull off!!
Sure, but the thing is, I don't think he's simply playing the victim; I think he sincerely believes he is the victim. [/i].
No doubt. I've long said that the best salesman is the one who sells himself. An actor who knows he's an actor doesn't have the cognitive dissonance of having to explain why he acts the way he does, in a play or whatever. And actually, I doubt there's a person alive who doesn't exhibit some sort of inconsistency in his ideas or behavior that's only visible to others. Hardly surprising that the cray folk take it to an extreme. i guess my point is that it's the PR payoff that motivates both behaviors. The "director" is the part of the brain that actually can make almost anyone oblivious to their own inconsistencies to one degree or another. And to their need to be playing these "roles", both for themselves and others. We all do it and we all need some sort of PR. Most of us don't act it out on a national stage, or to such ridiculous ends and extremes. I'd also say it's really worse and more important that these behaviors might possibly be effective than that the behavor believes in his own behavior, contradictions notwithstanding. I think the latter is actually fairly par for the course. But to be clear, I'm not taking issue at all with your pointing out the contradiction. I was only making light of it while also maybe putting it in what I think is a useful perspective, FWIW. Naturally we're an echo chamber on the overall point, but I sure don't mind you or anyone highlighting all ridiculous and stupid aspects of those... THAT.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7720
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by nicole » 24 Aug 2017, 11:34

In case anyone didn't get to enjoy this shitshow last night

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14585
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by dhex » 24 Aug 2017, 20:41

i feel like i joined twitter at the best possible time. it is tremendously, like...reinforcing o' the stereotypes? it's the opposite of humanism.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17867
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by dbcooper » 24 Aug 2017, 20:50

I mostly follow goofs who post things like pictures of the Dice Man. Outrage twitter is fun, but only in small doses.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14585
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by dhex » 24 Aug 2017, 21:11

our country's id is basically "nuh uhhh!" on a feedback loop.

more ketamine or less? i am not sure and john lily is dead and dolphins are rapists and we are all alone.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7720
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by nicole » 06 Oct 2017, 13:47

Well, this is definitely not going to make things worse: http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/10/06/the ... xtremists/

ETA:
As white supremacists prepared to descend on Charlottesville, Virginia, in August, the FBI warned about a new movement that was violent, growing, and racially motivated. Only it wasn’t white supremacists; it was “black identity extremists.”

Amid a rancorous debate over whether the Trump administration has downplayed the threat posed by white supremacist groups, the FBI’s counterterrorism division has declared that black identity extremists pose a growing threat of premeditated violence against law enforcement.

“The FBI assesses it is very likely Black Identity Extremist (BIE) perceptions of police brutality against African Americans spurred an increase in premeditated, retaliatory lethal violence against law enforcement and will very likely serve as justification for such violence,” reads the report, marked for official use only and obtained by Foreign Policy.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7720
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by nicole » 05 Dec 2017, 12:56

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 20569
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Jennifer » 05 Dec 2017, 14:44

Huh, so the "like and share this post if you're a good person who cares about important things!" trend has metastasized out of Facebook and into Twitter. Nice.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5576
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Andrew » 05 Dec 2017, 15:05

nicole wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 12:56
People like her and guys from the alt right were made for each other.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21983
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Warren » 05 Dec 2017, 20:07

LOL. So, you're not really virtuous unless you virtue signal in the officially recognized manner.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6032
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Dec 2017, 23:04

Warren wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 20:07
LOL. So, you're not really virtuous unless you virtue signal in the officially recognized manner.
Wasn't that always the idea?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21983
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Warren » 06 Dec 2017, 02:24

Pham Nuwen wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 23:04
Warren wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 20:07
LOL. So, you're not really virtuous unless you virtue signal in the officially recognized manner.
Wasn't that always the idea?
Now with more meta.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7720
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by nicole » 07 Dec 2017, 11:19

Philadelphia city council thinks it should be illegal to put up Plexiglas at a c-store counter.
It's called the 'Stop and Go' bill and is being offered by City Councilwoman Cindy Bass.

"Right now, the Plexiglas has to come down," she said.

She says she wants to put some controls on these small stores that, from her point of view, sell booze, very little food and are a source of trouble for her district.

“We want to make sure that there isn't this sort of indignity, in my opinion, to serving food through a Plexiglas only in certain neighborhoods,” Councilwoman Bass said.
http://www.fox29.com/news/politics/cont ... -committee
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21099
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by JasonL » 07 Dec 2017, 12:19

That, right there, is why I hate liberals.

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 20569
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Jennifer » 07 Dec 2017, 12:23

How the fuck can such a thing even be LEGAL? I know, there is no explicit constitutional right to have a window of any type, whether made of ordinary or bulletproof glass, but ... WTF? Wouldn't there be some law against, I dunno, singling out one type of business? How would this be any different from forbidding a business from using locks (which could make people think "What, you don't trust us? You think we're thieves?")
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest