heroes of the day

thoreau

Re: heroes of the day

Post by thoreau » 19 Aug 2013, 18:51

I thought you were referring to some piece of news or something.

As far as my question about Copts, gays, and abortion, I wasn't trying to do anything clever. I was just making the point that if Copts are opposed to homosexuality and abortion then conservative Christians in the US would probably find a way to co-exist with them, at least in matters of politics and culture war.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 Jan 2014, 14:39

From the Least Surprising News Department:

Peace Talks in Syria going nowhere

I get the feeling that, wrt the Assad regime, the principal point of contention among the various insurgent factions is precisely how Bashir Assad is to be executed.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 04 Feb 2014, 09:07

This culture jammer is my hero of the day.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Aug 2014, 23:08

Apparently the Bush Administration was doing Quadaffi's dirty work for him.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Aug 2014, 23:25

Today, she's a 23-year-old college student working toward a degree in the humanities. When her family was kidnapped she was a frightened 12-year-old girl.
So things have gone from bad to worse. I hope she isn't taking on too much student debt.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Nov 2017, 21:51

Shem wrote:
28 Jan 2011, 22:00
Presumably, it's an attempt to calm the protests by bringing in moderate reformists. He won't give them any real power, of course, but the hope is that by the time anyone realizes that, the rage that's keeping people on the streets will have faded. Not a bad plan (seems to be working for Mugabe) but it's kind of a hail mary, since he waited so long.
It may not be working for Mugabe anymore. :) (Though I gotta think, in the almost 7 years since this was posted, dying was a big part of the long term plan)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 15 Nov 2017, 16:45

I would argue that it worked great for Mugabe until Mrs. Mugabe decided to upset the apple cart so she could take over when Bobbert went to the big land grab in the sky.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen