Earworm Infestations

Eric the .5b

Re: Earworm Infestations

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Oct 2016, 13:04

Chvrches, "Bury It"

That has to be the catchiest song I've heard by them.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Oct 2016, 11:00

I used to love this song, but now I just want it OUT OF MY FRICKING HEAD

I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Dec 2016, 00:45

I like a lot of the lyrics but I am getting sick of hearing them in my brain. THANKS, DAVID.

Also, "Car Seat Headrest" is a terrible band name.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Dec 2016, 09:13

They took the shit band name prize from Foxygen. Another thing 2016 gave us.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Jan 2017, 11:50

"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Feb 2017, 17:37

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Aug 2017, 20:58

Retro-80s dance pop, and yet so damned earnest.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Aug 2017, 18:23

Watched the pilot for the new series this morning while I was working and now I can't get the damn theme song out of my head.

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Sep 2017, 11:01

Today's earworm is the happiest-sounding song about a depressing subject that I've ever heard.

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Sep 2017, 12:04

Ellie wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 11:01
Today's earworm is the happiest-sounding song about a depressing subject that I've ever heard.

Ellie The Person, meet They Might Be Giants

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 18 Oct 2017, 00:50

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Oct 2017, 03:03

FINALLY!!!
Way the hell back in August 2014, Jennifer wrote:I've had an earworm infestation off and on for at least a year now -- some horn-heavy instrumental which I think was from the late 1960s or early 70s. Since it's an instrumental I can't Google the lyrics, I've tried checking lists of instrumental hits and none of those names ring a bell (nor does clicking on unfamiliar names to listen to them help one bit), and Jeff even has one of those apps on his tablet where you can hum a few bars of a song and it'll identify it for you -- still didn't work. This is driving me NUTS.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=132&p=254717&hilit=duhda#p254717

[After various Gryllers' recommendations, mainly Herb Alpert songs]
Jennifer wrote:
04 Aug 2014, 11:24
Neither one of those, alas. (FWIW, Jeff didn't recognize the song either, when I sang/hummed it for him.) I can't read or write musical notation so I can't write the riff here. Closest I can come is to say this: you know how the horn riffs in Spanish Flea are mainly in groups of 8 or 3, with a 6-note riff at the end? In other words, if you hum/"scat sing" them from the start, you'd divide the syllables like this:
Spanish Flea horn riff (in Beavis and Butthead notation)

Da da da da DAH DAH DAH DAH [8 notes]
Da da da da DAH DAH DAH Dah[8 notes]
Da-da-da,
duh-duh-duh,
duh-duh-duh,
duh-duh-duh,
duh duh duh,
duh-duh-duh-DUUUUH [a few bars of 3 notes each, plus an extra-long note tacked on at the end]
Duh duh DUH duh duh duh. [6 notes]
The earworm horn riff I keep hearing is mostly in groups of 5-3-5-3, like this:
Duh duh duh DUHDA,
duh-duh-duh,
Duh duh duh DUHDA,
duh-duh-duh.
... only repeated over and over again. And I think there's also some early-70s wocka-wocka guitar playing, too, but I'm not sure.
That stupid earworm has continued burrowing through my brain off and on since then; the usual cure for earworm is to listen to the song but you can't do that if you don't know what it's called. All I know is "It's horns and things going 'Duh duh duh DUHDA, duh-duh-duh, duh duh duh DUHDA, duh-duh-duh,' with every second "Duhda" played at a higher pitch or tone or whatever the term is."

But tonight Jeff and I were at a pizza restaurant, and as soon as the waitress showed us to our table I went into the bathroom to brush my hair (we climbed partway up Stone Mountain, an I had a really bad case of hat hair). When I returned and sat down Jeff started saying something but I wasn't paying attention because I was distracted by something I heard in the background (turns out the restaurant kept their sound system turned to a 60s/70s R&B station): a bunch of horns and things going "Duh-duh-duh DUHDA, duh-duh-duh...."

So I interrupted whatever Jeff was saying to point to the ceiling and say "This is that song! That horn-riff earworm song I don't know the name for, remember, the one you didn't recognize and even your tablet song app didn't, t"Duh duh duh DUHDA, duh duh duh, duh duh duh DUHDA...."

Jeff knew what song I was talking about -- except, of course, at that moment the song was paying some sort of soulful 70s-sounding guitar and piano I didn't recognize, so we sat there for several seconds until the horn riff returned. It was actually trumpet and sax, Jeff said, and it wasn't a song he'd heard before though he did recognize the riff from me. And when we got home he did some Googling and, long story short, that horn-riff earworm is from "Soulful Strut" by Young-Holt Unlimited:

Aaaah. Finally, I know how to banish that earworm next time it crawls around these-here parts.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Oct 2017, 04:40

Awesome, I know how satisfying that is. My own recent personal experience was with this piece, which I knew that I knew at one time but I had forgotten. It would show up on public radio announcement bumpers once in a while and it drove me nuts that I couldn't remember. After about 10 or 15 years, last month I discovered it was this:

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2017, 12:01

AAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH
GET OUT OF MY HEAD PHIL COLLINS!

I don't even know where this came from. I don't think I heard it recently. It just popped in there, and now I can't pry it out.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT