Roolz of the Rode

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 608
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by dead_elvis » 24 Aug 2017, 15:04

Jadagul wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 14:48
The speed limit is 65, the guy in the left lane is going 80, and someone comes along who wants to drive faster than that.
Every year I drive up and down I-5 through the central valley and witness how the left-lane-is-for-passing-only Nazis are out of touch with reality. You have one lane that has truck traffic typically around 55 to 60, and a fast lane that has to accommodate everybody from the people who want to go 65 all the way up to 85. So inevitably a long line forms on the left, causing the people who want to go 75-80 or more to try to pass on the right in between the slow moving trucks so they are always trying to zoom ahead and cut back in line. Pisses me off and it's dangerous. But there simply isn't enough room between the slow-moving trucks to expect everyone to stay in that lane; everyone who wants to drive a normal freeway speed ends up constantly passing so you might as well just stay there.

And on top of that occasionally a tomato truck will decide they want to go 2 miles an hour faster than the tomato truck in front of them, because 55 would just be too intolerably slow but 57 would be just right, so they pull out in the left lane to very slowly pass another truck (usually on an uphill, natch) and this fucks up traffic for miles and miles.

Have I mentioned that I-5 in the Central Valley needs a third lane in each direction?

"Left lane is for passing only" only works below certain levels of traffic density.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12244
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Highway » 24 Aug 2017, 15:37

I'll add that someone in the left lane who is passing another vehicle at a reasonable rate is not responsible for the people who want to go 75 or 85 who are driving recklessly if they try to pass quickly on the right in a gap. I would also add that in the case of someone who is passing, but then has a vehicle tailgating them, if there is a suitable gap in traffic to their right, they should pull in there and let the people who want to go faster go by. If you're not keeping up with the car in front of you, and there are people keeping up with you behind, you should move over and give them the opportunity to pass.

I'll also note that there are many reasons to not widen a road, and just because it has enough traffic to warrant it doesn't mean that there's funding, that it's a high enough priority, or that there aren't other considerations for not doing so.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14618
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by dhex » 24 Aug 2017, 16:01

Highway wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 10:22
Sandy wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 10:03
Highway wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 08:25
Jadagul wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 02:08
These rules always confused me because I'd never seen two-lane highways. "Drive on the right" doesn't make much sense when the freeway has like six lanes.
It is still important. The expectation should be to pass on the left, no matter what lane you are in. It's better for everyone if drivers move back over to the right when they can, because then you don't get people passing on the right. Passing on the right increases conflicts and potential accidents.
Unless you develop a culture of "nobody must be able to merge into a lane because then they might win" like the DC area. Then you end up getting in left lane and never moving because there's a left exit 4 miles ahead but if you don't get in now you never will get the chance.
Yeah, after 20 years of a barely-out-of-the-neighborhood commute, I've been doing a freeway commute a couple days a week for the past year in Baltimore, and have found that the left lane, even at the same speed as the other lanes, will have the smallest headway (space between cars). You don't go faster if you're 6 feet behind the car in front, people.

Also since dhex mentioned it, I've noticed the terrible tailgating of quite a few drivers more than before. If I can read your coffee cup in my rear view mirror, you need to back off (because natch they're driving with one hand, and probably looking at the phone, too.)
i had to drive back and forth to hopkins today and yeah 97 can suck all manner and flavor of donkey dick.

almost got got by a woman in a giant suv who was talking on her phone on the shore side of the bridge because stevensville.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 22029
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Warren » 24 Aug 2017, 16:08

Self driving cars.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12244
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Highway » 24 Aug 2017, 16:31

dhex wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 16:01

i had to drive back and forth to hopkins today and yeah 97 can suck all manner and flavor of donkey dick.

almost got got by a woman in a giant suv who was talking on her phone on the shore side of the bridge because stevensville.
I-97 has an amazing ability to have people going 15 mph slower than all of the traffic around them in the center lane.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 21300
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Mo » 25 Aug 2017, 11:46

dead_elvis wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 15:04
And on top of that occasionally a tomato truck will decide they want to go 2 miles an hour faster than the tomato truck in front of them, because 55 would just be too intolerably slow but 57 would be just right, so they pull out in the left lane to very slowly pass another truck (usually on an uphill, natch) and this fucks up traffic for miles and miles.
Those drivers need to be murdered at a Flying J.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 8991
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Aug 2017, 15:40

dead_elvis wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 15:04
Jadagul wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 14:48
The speed limit is 65, the guy in the left lane is going 80, and someone comes along who wants to drive faster than that.
Every year I drive up and down I-5 through the central valley and witness how the left-lane-is-for-passing-only Nazis are out of touch with reality. You have one lane that has truck traffic typically around 55 to 60, and a fast lane that has to accommodate everybody from the people who want to go 65 all the way up to 85. So inevitably a long line forms on the left, causing the people who want to go 75-80 or more to try to pass on the right in between the slow moving trucks so they are always trying to zoom ahead and cut back in line. Pisses me off and it's dangerous. But there simply isn't enough room between the slow-moving trucks to expect everyone to stay in that lane; everyone who wants to drive a normal freeway speed ends up constantly passing so you might as well just stay there.

And on top of that occasionally a tomato truck will decide they want to go 2 miles an hour faster than the tomato truck in front of them, because 55 would just be too intolerably slow but 57 would be just right, so they pull out in the left lane to very slowly pass another truck (usually on an uphill, natch) and this fucks up traffic for miles and miles.

Have I mentioned that I-5 in the Central Valley needs a third lane in each direction?

"Left lane is for passing only" only works below certain levels of traffic density.
Yeah, the people who I hated most in the world are those who pull that move only to tailgate a car that is running parallel to a truck in the right lane.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17497
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Aug 2017, 18:52

Very few highways here have only two lanes in each direction and even fewer, not counting neighborhood streets, have only one each way. Frankly, with three or more lanes in one direction, the notion that the left lane should be reserved for passing only means you shouldn't be doing the speed limit or slower in that lane. If I'm in the left lane, it's because I'm passing most of the traffic to my right, not because I'm passing any particular vehicle. So, if someone wants to drive even faster, say I'm in the left lane doing 80 in a 65 zone and someone is coming up faster than that, that's when I pull over into the slower lane. If you want to drive under the speed limit, fergawdsakes stay in the right lane.

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17497
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Aug 2017, 18:54

Highway wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 15:37
I'll also note that there are many reasons to not widen a road, and just because it has enough traffic to warrant it doesn't mean that there's funding, that it's a high enough priority, or that there aren't other considerations for not doing so.
You have no future with the Texas Dept of Highways.

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 12707
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Kolohe » 27 Aug 2017, 19:47

Well, not that it's now the Texas Dept of Canals.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17497
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Aug 2017, 20:29

Kolohe wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 19:47
Well, not that it's now the Texas Dept of Canals.
You have a point.

Image

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6037
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 Aug 2017, 20:57

All I know is I tail gate the shit out of people in the far left hand lane running along i-70. All the fucking time. The far left lane is not your personal fucking lane. Either speed up about 5 mph faster than the person you are running parallel to or stay in the fucking middle lane. Some fuckers have to get to fucking work you goddamn mouth breather.

I used to never tail gate people but the dumbness is strong in Denver these days.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13198
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Aresen » 27 Aug 2017, 21:36

Pham Nuwen wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 20:57
All I know is I tail gate the shit out of people in the far left hand lane running along i-70. All the fucking time. The far left lane is not your personal fucking lane. Either speed up about 5 mph faster than the person you are running parallel to or stay in the fucking middle lane. Some fuckers have to get to fucking work you goddamn mouth breather.

I used to never tail gate people but the dumbness is strong in Denver these days.
I try to maintain the average traffic speed of the traffic flow, I stay in the middle or right lane unless I get stuck behind Aunt Minnie or Uncle Clarence dawdling along in my lane. Then I will pass in the left lane as fast as I can and get back to the middle or right lane. I like wide margins of safety when I pass or change lanes.

I hate tailgaters with a passion, but I am not going to do anything stupid like a brake-check (or a mock-brake-check using the lights.) Instead, I obliterate the tailgater with the rear phasers of my imagination, then get out of their way at the first opportunity. Hopefully, they will find another driver of their kind and eliminate one another from the gene pool. The same thing applies to people who cut me off.

Half a million joules of kinetic energy is not something to dick around with.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 6037
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 Aug 2017, 23:41

Uh huh. So yeah ... I just want people to not drive the speed limit in the left lane of a 3 lane interstate. It fucks everyone. Also. Full coverage insurance. Don't really care about brake checking at this point in my life. Probably another 5 years and I'll be conservative about that but don't really care right now. I drive like a grandfather with the kids in the car and stay in the far right lane otherwise I don't really have that switch that turns off my "go fuck yourself" mode.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5584
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Andrew » 12 Oct 2017, 12:41

Now that snowbirds and students are back, I see someone screwing up a reverse lane daily (I described these back 2 or 3 pages in this thread). It takes stunning obliviousness to get into the center lane and try to use it as a left turn lane when there is a solid flow of traffic in that same lane going the opposite direction.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12016
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by the innominate one » 12 Oct 2017, 12:44

Atlanta has those. It would be fatal to install reverse lanes in SF area. Here's hoping they do that.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7747
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by nicole » 12 Oct 2017, 13:22

Just almost got hit by a cyclist who didn't think stop signs applied to him even when his view of pedestrians entering the crosswalk was blocked.

PS, thanks guy who parked so close to the stop sign
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13198
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Aresen » 12 Oct 2017, 20:53

nicole wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 13:22
Just almost got hit by a cyclist who didn't think stop signs applied to him even when his view of pedestrians entering the crosswalk was blocked.
"Cyclists excepted" is written in super-fine print on the signs. You can only read it if you are squinting because your nuts are being squeezed by the spandex and the bike saddle.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 22029
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Warren » 13 Oct 2017, 13:14

I support Idaho stops. But that still means treating stop signs as a Yield.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 12707
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Kolohe » 13 Oct 2017, 13:24

Warren wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 13:14
I support Idaho stops. But that still means treating stop signs as a Yield.
This
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12244
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Highway » 19 Oct 2017, 10:56

I don't know what's been going on, but I've observed a noticeable increase in just terrible driver behavior just this month. Like the people having a tiff on I-83 into the city where one brake-checked the other in the left lane, so the guy swerves out around him and then half-drives him into the center barrier. Or the people yesterday who car-stalked someone for 2 miles down the road (and probably more) because they didn't let them go first in a supermarket parking lot.

In the last two weeks, I've twice pulled over and let somebody tailgating me go past on a two-lane road. The first time was some lady who was tailgating, and when I look back she's got her head down below the dash reaching to the passenger footwell. The second time was some really erratic guy, and a few miles (and multiple turns and lights) after I let him by, he did a burnout at a green light to go around the person in front of him (crossing the center double yellow line), and then brake-checked them while swerving back and forth.

On top of all this, just seems like there's more people popping out in parking lots from where they shouldn't be (like cutting through the van accessible lanes between parking lines), making stupid maneuvers, etc. I don't know if it was the full moon a couple weeks ago, or Trump, or school getting back in session, or what, but it's really felt like an increase, at least near me.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14675
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Oct 2017, 13:27

Did you lose your tiger repelling rock of road sanity?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13198
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Aresen » 19 Oct 2017, 16:06

Highway wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 10:56
I don't know what's been going on, but I've observed a noticeable increase in just terrible driver behavior just this month. Like the people having a tiff on I-83 into the city where one brake-checked the other in the left lane, so the guy swerves out around him and then half-drives him into the center barrier. Or the people yesterday who car-stalked someone for 2 miles down the road (and probably more) because they didn't let them go first in a supermarket parking lot.

In the last two weeks, I've twice pulled over and let somebody tailgating me go past on a two-lane road. The first time was some lady who was tailgating, and when I look back she's got her head down below the dash reaching to the passenger footwell. The second time was some really erratic guy, and a few miles (and multiple turns and lights) after I let him by, he did a burnout at a green light to go around the person in front of him (crossing the center double yellow line), and then brake-checked them while swerving back and forth.

On top of all this, just seems like there's more people popping out in parking lots from where they shouldn't be (like cutting through the van accessible lanes between parking lines), making stupid maneuvers, etc. I don't know if it was the full moon a couple weeks ago, or Trump, or school getting back in session, or what, but it's really felt like an increase, at least near me.
My driving philosophy is "expect the stupid." It doesn't mean I'm not surprised by stupidity when it happens, it just means I don't go road-raging myself.

I am also constantly scanning other drivers for signs that they are about to do something dumb.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 12707
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Kolohe » 19 Oct 2017, 17:36

I just can't believe living in Maryland that you can actually tell if the drivers have gotten worse.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14675
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Oct 2017, 18:07

Kolohe wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 17:36
I just can't believe living in Maryland that you can actually tell if the drivers have gotten worse.
Or if they have gotten worse, that you have lived to tell...
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests