When journalism goes bad

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7371
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by nicole » 19 Sep 2017, 10:46

Extreme LOL at "assertive mating"

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14411
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by dhex » 19 Sep 2017, 13:09

It's more fun than passive mating.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 10816
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Sep 2017, 14:48

Still seem to be a lot of women who fuck socons, or else otherwise I wouldn't see the pictures of their hordes of kids on their desks.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6426
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by tr0g » 19 Sep 2017, 14:50

Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:48
Still seem to be a lot of women who fuck socons, or else otherwise I wouldn't see the pictures of their hordes of kids on their desks.
Still a lot of people out there too dumb to use birth control, too, so it's multi-variate.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 10816
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Sep 2017, 15:03

tr0g wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:50
Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:48
Still seem to be a lot of women who fuck socons, or else otherwise I wouldn't see the pictures of their hordes of kids on their desks.
Still a lot of people out there too dumb to use birth control, too, so it's multi-variate.
Sure, but I just don't run into many socon men who aren't seeing someone or married. (And some fraction of them are of course both.) All they have to be is vaguely functional adults. The whole head-fucked, hyper-misogynist incel business needs to be dissected, not defended or courted, but the one-liner is almost as divorced from reality as the article. We see people dismiss their own rights all the damn time.

ETA: and really, the article isn't even that bad. It's just standard, trendy hand-wringing about freedom of association. Weirdly, the guy claims to be a libertarian.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 20282
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Jennifer » 19 Sep 2017, 17:27

Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 15:03
The whole head-fucked, hyper-misogynist incel business needs to be dissected, not defended or courted, but the one-liner is almost as divorced from reality as the article.
From what I've seen, if I had to make a single statement encompassing not just incels but the alt-right in general (not all or even most alt-righters are incels, but I'd wager the lion's share of incels are alt-righters), it would be "They're all extreme hypocrites, possibly caused by an extreme lack of empathy toward those with whom they disagree in any way." To make just one obvious example -- of course the Federalist would not be appalled by any discovery that anti-abortion people would prefer to date or marry those who share their views on abortion. And I'm sure they take it for granted that of course people with deeply held [Christian] religious values would prefer to marry those who share their religious beliefs -- but, of course, if atheists prefer to marry other atheists, that's proof of atheists' intolerance toward believers, and (according to anti-Semites) when Jews prefer to marry other Jews, that is proof that Jews are downright bigoted [in addition to being one of the driving forces behind the "white genocide" epidemic].

Here's the last paragraph of that idiotic Federalist piece:
If a progressive doesn’t want to date a conservative and vice versa, that’s perfectly fine. Everyone has deal-breakers. But as a political protest, this form of virtue-signaling is counterproductive in the long run.
That's another alt-right attitude: anyone expressing opinions they disagree with is actually "virtue-signaling." Nobody's sincerely opposed to racism, for example; any condemnation of it is merely "virtue signaling." (See also: "Anytime a man disagrees with me by taking a woman's side in an argument, he's simply 'white-knighting' her; it can't possibly be because the man in question genuinely agrees with her rather than me." IIRC, pretty much every man who opposed the Gamergaters was either gay or white-knighting.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 12999
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Aresen » 19 Sep 2017, 17:55

Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 15:03
tr0g wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:50
Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:48
Still seem to be a lot of women who fuck socons, or else otherwise I wouldn't see the pictures of their hordes of kids on their desks.
Still a lot of people out there too dumb to use birth control, too, so it's multi-variate.
Sure, but I just don't run into many socon men who aren't seeing someone or married. (And some fraction of them are of course both.)
Any stats I have seen, from the Kinsey report onwards, indicate that socons fuck around just as much as anyone else. They just lie about (not doing) it more.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 10816
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Sep 2017, 18:40

Aresen wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 17:55
Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 15:03
tr0g wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:50
Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:48
Still seem to be a lot of women who fuck socons, or else otherwise I wouldn't see the pictures of their hordes of kids on their desks.
Still a lot of people out there too dumb to use birth control, too, so it's multi-variate.
Sure, but I just don't run into many socon men who aren't seeing someone or married. (And some fraction of them are of course both.)
Any stats I have seen, from the Kinsey report onwards, indicate that socons fuck around just as much as anyone else. They just lie about (not doing) it more.
Ayup. But that's demand; I was talking about supply.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 20782
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 19 Sep 2017, 22:51

By this article's logic isn't Farmers Only or J-Date even worse?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 17538
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by dbcooper » 20 Sep 2017, 19:06

Reminder that Gawker is still nothing but scum:

Tell Us What You Know About the Louis C.K. Sexual Abuse Allegations

Damn that's some high quality crowd-sourced witch-hunting investigative journalism!

You'll remember the genius author (journalism masters degree programs are so prestigious) from this UVA moment:

http://jezebel.com/is-the-uva-rape-stor ... 1665233387
Hi Robby [Soave]! Thanks for stopping by! One small correction: I don't think you've ever "reported" a goddamn thing in your life. (And because I know you're going to do this, either here or in my Twitter mentions, which you and your friends are currently stink-clouding up with your Feelings, I have a master's degree in journalism from Columbia and I write investigative stories. Have done for years, both at Jezebel and before I got here. Thanks for asking!)

Instead, I think, as I made clear above, that you're piggy-backing on the work of other people who are calling Erdely's story into question without a single shred of evidence. You don't get brownie points for saying *IF* the story is true *THEN* UVA should have called the cops. That's what any decent human being would suggest.

But by all means, do some journalism! Follow up on those leads! Let's see it! Can't wait!
From the people who brought you framing every single thing as patriarchy or white-supremacy.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9316
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Sandy » 21 Sep 2017, 01:54

Oh, the comments on that UVA piece.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 20803
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by JasonL » 21 Sep 2017, 09:38

Frickin frack, mumble mumble head'splode. I HATE Nancy McLean of Buchanan hit piece fame. This f'cking piece of dung is making the rounds in my bookface feed.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ical-roots

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 20782
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Mo » 22 Sep 2017, 12:25



Yes, a sector can account for over 100% of the trade deficit. If every other sector combined runs a surplus, while your economy runs a deficit, your sector would account for more than 100% of the deficit. In fact, you could have a situation where every sector but one has a larger trade deficit than the national trade deficit. For example, there are 10 sectors, your national trade deficit is $1, nine sectors run a $2 deficit and one sector runs a $17 surplus.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21491
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 22 Sep 2017, 13:28

Mo wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 12:25


Yes, a sector can account for over 100% of the trade deficit. If every other sector combined runs a surplus, while your economy runs a deficit, your sector would account for more than 100% of the deficit. In fact, you could have a situation where every sector but one has a larger trade deficit than the national trade deficit. For example, there are 10 sectors, your national trade deficit is $1, nine sectors run a $2 deficit and one sector runs a $17 surplus.
Um okay. But I think it's fair to say that would qualify as "a lot of percent".
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7371
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by nicole » 22 Sep 2017, 13:30

Warren wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 13:28
Mo wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 12:25


Yes, a sector can account for over 100% of the trade deficit. If every other sector combined runs a surplus, while your economy runs a deficit, your sector would account for more than 100% of the deficit. In fact, you could have a situation where every sector but one has a larger trade deficit than the national trade deficit. For example, there are 10 sectors, your national trade deficit is $1, nine sectors run a $2 deficit and one sector runs a $17 surplus.
Um okay. But I think it's fair to say that would qualify as "a lot of percent".
Also, if the direct quote from Ross is accurate, it's still wrong. Nothing can be "more than 100% of the reason for" something. If autos and auto parts account for more than 100% of the trade deficit, they're still "only" 100% of the reason for the trade deficit, at most -- and if some other industry is also running a trade deficit, they'd be less than 100% of the reason.

(Not saying that is what Dan Primack thought though...)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21491
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 22 Sep 2017, 13:38

nicole wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 13:30
Warren wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 13:28
Mo wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 12:25


Yes, a sector can account for over 100% of the trade deficit. If every other sector combined runs a surplus, while your economy runs a deficit, your sector would account for more than 100% of the deficit. In fact, you could have a situation where every sector but one has a larger trade deficit than the national trade deficit. For example, there are 10 sectors, your national trade deficit is $1, nine sectors run a $2 deficit and one sector runs a $17 surplus.
Um okay. But I think it's fair to say that would qualify as "a lot of percent".
Also, if the direct quote from Ross is accurate, it's still wrong. Nothing can be "more than 100% of the reason for" something. If autos and auto parts account for more than 100% of the trade deficit, they're still "only" 100% of the reason for the trade deficit, at most -- and if some other industry is also running a trade deficit, they'd be less than 100% of the reason.

(Not saying that is what Dan Primack thought though...)
If the trade deficit was $100, and the widget sector ran a $50 dollar deficit, would it be wrong to say "Widgets account for 50% of the trade deficit"? Because that's the way I'd read it to mean.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7371
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by nicole » 22 Sep 2017, 14:07

Warren wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 13:38
nicole wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 13:30
Warren wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 13:28
Mo wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 12:25


Yes, a sector can account for over 100% of the trade deficit. If every other sector combined runs a surplus, while your economy runs a deficit, your sector would account for more than 100% of the deficit. In fact, you could have a situation where every sector but one has a larger trade deficit than the national trade deficit. For example, there are 10 sectors, your national trade deficit is $1, nine sectors run a $2 deficit and one sector runs a $17 surplus.
Um okay. But I think it's fair to say that would qualify as "a lot of percent".
Also, if the direct quote from Ross is accurate, it's still wrong. Nothing can be "more than 100% of the reason for" something. If autos and auto parts account for more than 100% of the trade deficit, they're still "only" 100% of the reason for the trade deficit, at most -- and if some other industry is also running a trade deficit, they'd be less than 100% of the reason.

(Not saying that is what Dan Primack thought though...)
If the trade deficit was $100, and the widget sector ran a $50 dollar deficit, would it be wrong to say "Widgets account for 50% of the trade deficit"? Because that's the way I'd read it to mean.
You're taking "reason for" out of it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21491
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Warren » 22 Sep 2017, 14:13

nicole wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 14:07
You're taking "reason for" out of it.
I am. And while I concede your point. I think you're parsing it too closely for a straight forward reading.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7371
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by nicole » 22 Sep 2017, 14:16

Warren wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 14:13
nicole wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 14:07
You're taking "reason for" out of it.
I am. And while I concede your point. I think you're parsing it too closely for a straight forward reading.
Yeah I mean I'm saying the "math" part isn't wrong but it was still a stupid sloppy statement.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by JD » 06 Oct 2017, 15:29

I know that the Daily Mail barely counts as "journalism", since it barely even counts as "English sentences on a page", but this is just headache-inducingly stupid:
* Tracer ammunition lights up to give shooters more accuracy targeting in darkness
* Without it, Paddock was likely firing indiscriminately at the crowd below, despite many of his guns being outfitted with scopes

Stephen Paddock tried to buy a special sort of ammunition before the Las Vegas shooting, that would have let him target specific victims on the ground.
...
Tracer ammunition, which is legal, lights up as it's fired, making a direct line to its target - allowing shooters to target specific objects in the dark.
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ition.html)

A) The Daily Mail apparently thinks tracer rounds give you magic seeing-in-the-dark powers, suggesting that they did not do even as much research as typing "what is tracer ammunition" into Google, and
B) SINCE HE DIDN'T EVEN ACTUALLY BUY ANY, WHY IS THIS ANY KIND OF STORY AT ALL?

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3095
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Painboy » 08 Oct 2017, 00:40

JD wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 15:29
I know that the Daily Mail barely counts as "journalism", since it barely even counts as "English sentences on a page", but this is just headache-inducingly stupid:
* Tracer ammunition lights up to give shooters more accuracy targeting in darkness
* Without it, Paddock was likely firing indiscriminately at the crowd below, despite many of his guns being outfitted with scopes

Stephen Paddock tried to buy a special sort of ammunition before the Las Vegas shooting, that would have let him target specific victims on the ground.
...
Tracer ammunition, which is legal, lights up as it's fired, making a direct line to its target - allowing shooters to target specific objects in the dark.
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ition.html)

A) The Daily Mail apparently thinks tracer rounds give you magic seeing-in-the-dark powers, suggesting that they did not do even as much research as typing "what is tracer ammunition" into Google, and
B) SINCE HE DIDN'T EVEN ACTUALLY BUY ANY, WHY IS THIS ANY KIND OF STORY AT ALL?
What's even more stupid is that had the guy used tracer rounds it might have saved some people's lives, since it would have been immediately evident where the bullets were coming from.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 14411
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by dhex » 08 Oct 2017, 06:49

https://www.thecut.com/2017/10/this-isn ... y-men.html

Drawing a line between accused rapist, serial sexual harassers, a white nationalist, and a dude who shot people is fairly fucked up.

That the comments are focused on Clinton in a he's evil versus no he had a flawed soul is actually worse.

That people need to write articles arguing that power means not having to give a shit about others is arguably even worse that that.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 20282
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Jennifer » 11 Oct 2017, 19:21

This is not a bad piece of journalism itself, but I'm putting it in this thread since it discusses Breitbart (among other mondo-bad journalism stuff): an interesting but unfortunately unsurprising discussion of the connections between Gamergate, MRAs, Trumpsters and white supremacists/the alt-right.

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2 ... sts/218075
Men's-rights activism can serve as a gateway drug to the alt-right," in part because both "are based on a bizarro-world ideology in which those with the most power in contemporary society are the true victims of oppression."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 5496
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26
Location: Happy Katanakaa Everyone!

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by Dangerman » 12 Oct 2017, 14:29

>>>..."Elizabeth Spiers, founding editor of Gawker, called Damore’s “intellectually dishonest conclusions and misreading of scientific studies,” “vapid bullshit.”"

>>...editor of Gawker

>...Gawker

Oh, well, then it must be so.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9552
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: When journalism goes bad

Post by JD » 12 Oct 2017, 14:59

Dangerman wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 14:29
>>>..."Elizabeth Spiers, founding editor of Gawker, called Damore’s “intellectually dishonest conclusions and misreading of scientific studies,” “vapid bullshit.”"
Well, nobody knows vapid bullshit like Gawker!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests