Stand right, walk left

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
nicole

Stand right, walk left

Post by nicole »

This is good https://reason.com/2019/12/17/standing- ... nightmare/

(But also I couldn’t stop wondering why there weren’t any studies of walking-only escalator efficiency.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Pham Nuwen

Re: Stand right, walk left

Post by Pham Nuwen »

So ... everyone stands? Left ... right ... all standing? That sounds horribly stupid. People have shit to do. Do they want you to apologize for everyone you accidentally bump into as well? How about being the idiot who holds the door open for people and then is surprised that they can't enter themselves? God. Nothing would get done! Nothing! You would never make it to work!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

How would you even enforce a standing-only escalator? Posting cops there would only take police resources away from the much more urgent needs like pulling aside and savagely beating people who stop and look down to time their step onto the escalator.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JD

Post by JD »

I'm of the mindset that the studies which show standing-only escalators are more efficient are true, but only in a narrow and artificial sense. All of the studies seem to be comparing a maximally packed escalator with either a) standers on right and left, b) standers on right, walkers on left. And yes, I can see how standers-only is more efficient in one sense, because if walkers move 2x as fast but you can only fit 1/3 as many of them, overall throughput is lower. But these all seem to have the assumption that there is a big mass of people at the bottom standing around waiting to be loaded onto the escalator, and that is not what real-world situations look like.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

There was a department store in Arlington that was eventually torn down but prior to that time had been converted to a satellite campus of George Mason University and the original home of its law school. Anyway, it had the first escalators I can recall as a child and the thing I remember is that they were only wide enough for one person. I suppose someone could sidle past others but I don't recall ever see it attempted.

The reason there are probably no studies of walking-only escalator efficiency, even were there no ADA, is that many especially older people who use escalators don't want to or are unable to walk up or down stairs at what others would consider a normal pace.

And, of course, we vote.

nicole

Post by nicole »

I mean, I know that’s why. I’m just saying I also know it’s the slow people who are slowing things down.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 17:51
I mean, I know that’s why. I’m just saying I also know it’s the slow people who are slowing things down.
It will happen to you.

if you're lucky
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 16:06
How would you even enforce a standing-only escalator? Posting cops there would only take police resources away from the much more urgent needs like pulling aside and savagely beating people who stop and look down to time their step onto the escalator.
When all the cars are computer controlled, it will be the job of former DMV employees to savagely beat people who walk up escalators. After all, they have the temperament for it.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

Aresen wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 10:17
Hugh Akston wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 16:06
When all the cars are computer controlled, it will be the job of former DMV employees to savagely beat people who walk up escalators. After all, they have the temperament for it.
Yeah, but I don't think they have the energy for it. Someone will require a beating, and the DMV employees will just roll their eyes and walk away so they can continue their conversation.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 17:11
There was a department store in Arlington that was eventually torn down but prior to that time had been converted to a satellite campus of George Mason University and the original home of its law school. Anyway, it had the first escalators I can recall as a child and the thing I remember is that they were only wide enough for one person. I suppose someone could sidle past others but I don't recall ever see it attempted.

The reason there are probably no studies of walking-only escalator efficiency, even were there no ADA, is that many especially older people who use escalators don't want to or are unable to walk up or down stairs at what others would consider a normal pace.

And, of course, we vote.

The Hecht's (now Macy's) escalators in Parkington (now Ballston Quarter and was Ballston Commons) are still there and the narrow type, but they have recently changed their handrails from the 'tube' style to the more common flat style.

(They also finally tore down the building that was the Sears in Clarendon)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 17:11
I saw someone attempt it a few times when I was going to school there. They'd only try once, though. Between the dirty looks for elbowing past someone and the fact that by the end of their life, moving to quickly on the escalators gave them an unpleasant shudder, most people just held on and waited out the ride.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen