Cops destroyed a house, won't pay

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Aresen

Cops destroyed a house, won't pay

Post by Aresen » 31 Oct 2019, 16:14

I saw this item earlier today on Steve Lehto's channel

Cops Destroyed This House To Arrest a Shoplifter. A Federal Court Says Police Don't Have To Pay for the Damage
A federal appeals court ruled this week that the Colorado man who had his home destroyed by a police raid in 2015 is not entitled to compensation for the damage, which was severe enough to require a complete demolition of the house.

"Under no circumstances in this country should the government be able to blow up your house and render a family homeless," Leo Lech, the homeowner, told NPR after the court ruling on Wednesday.

The raid that left Lech and his family homeless had nothing to do with any of them. They weren't even home when an armed shoplifter broke into their house on South Alton Street in the leafy Denver suburb of Greenwood Village. Although the burglar was armed only with a handgun and was fully barricaded inside the home, local police responded as if they were confronting Osama bin Laden.

"Unleashing a display of force commonly reserved for the battlefield, the tactical team bombarded the building with high-caliber rifles, chemical agents, flash-bang grenades, remote-controlled robots, armored vehicles, and breaching rams—all to extract a petty thief with a handgun," wrote Jay Stooksberry in the December 2017 issue of Reason. At one point during the two-day operation, the cops drove an armored vehicle through the home's front door. When it was all over, the house was unlivable. Greenwood Village condemned the structure, forcing Lech to have it torn down, and the city offered a measly $5,000 to cover the damage.
They're talking about going to the SCOTUS, but I don't hold out much hope.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Painboy

Re: Cops destroyed a house, won't pay

Post by Painboy » 31 Oct 2019, 18:06

I'm slightly less sympathetic to him being that he bulldozed what was left and built this monstrosity on top of it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Oct 2019, 21:23

Oh go crawl back into your hovel. There's nothing wrong with that house. It's not like you're going to live in it, or even near it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Nov 2019, 11:15

Warren wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 21:23
Oh go crawl back into your hovel. There's nothing wrong with that house. It's not like you're going to live in it, or even near it.
I might hafta live near it and yeah there's a lot wrong with that house. But still fuck tha police. And this actually reinforces the travesty of the whole thing. If the cops had had a goddamned sense of proportion, this guy's neighbors wouldn't be blighted with that tacky piece of shit. Cops ruin everything.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Nov 2019, 11:53

I honestly can’t believe how horrendous that looks. What does one call a human-width porte-cochère?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 Nov 2019, 11:56

Warren wrote:
It was a joke. Let's not make more of it than that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Nov 2019, 11:57

Painboy wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 11:56
Warren wrote:
It was a joke. Let's not make more of it than that.
Sry, should have stuck a :) on that. All in good fun. We're good bro.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Nov 2019, 12:05

That house wouldn't be at all unusual in the San Gabriel Valley.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Nov 2019, 12:10

thoreau wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 12:05
It wouldn't be unusual anywhere. One of the features of McMansions is thier genericness.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Nov 2019, 12:22

Hugh Akston wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 12:10
thoreau wrote:
It wouldn't be unusual anywhere. One of the features of McMansions is thier genericness.
It would be unusual everywhere I’ve ever lived. They’re probably in some of the suburbs around Chicagoland but not the ones I’ve been to.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Nov 2019, 12:40

It might look better if the photo hadn't been taken when the owner was having a Christmas ornaments yard sale.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Nov 2019, 12:57

nicole wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 12:22
Hugh Akston wrote:
thoreau wrote:
It would be unusual everywhere I’ve ever lived. They’re probably in some of the suburbs around Chicagoland but not the ones I’ve been to.
That's more of an exurban design than suburban. Guarantee there's a Cabela's within reasonable distance of that house.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Nov 2019, 14:01

Hugh Akston wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 12:57
nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
thoreau wrote:
That's more of an exurban design than suburban. Guarantee there's a Cabela's within reasonable distance of that house.
Yeah, you see that sort of architectural dogs-breakfast all over the DFW exurbs, except there'd be one ugly and pointless stonework section of the front facade.

Ultimately, whatever they look like on the outside, houses are boxes or, at most, a series of connected boxes. I think where one grows up drives what sort of houses look attractive. I grew up on center-hall colonials, so that's what I think a house should look like. If you grew up in the west, you probably have a different aesthetic.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Nov 2019, 14:16

Somehow, I don't feel the type of house he built to replace the original exonerates the cops or the municipality. (Or the 10th Circuit Court.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Nov 2019, 16:24

Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
thoreau wrote:
The house is about 10 miles inward from the Cabelas, probably as close to downtown as to the suburban/exurban interface.

https://goo.gl/maps/ALeiP1cJkXS1vufg8

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 01 Nov 2019, 22:18

lunchstealer wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 16:24
Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
thoreau wrote:
The house is about 10 miles inward from the Cabelas, probably as close to downtown as to the suburban/exurban interface.

What about Bass Pro?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Nov 2019, 02:49

Number 6 wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 22:18
lunchstealer wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 16:24
Hugh Akston wrote:
nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
thoreau wrote:

What about Bass Pro?
The nearest one is north of I-70 so probably about 12 miles away, so it's almost perfectly equidistant between the two, which are on mostly-opposing sides of town. The funny thing is that because of a big notch in the suburban-rural interface cut by the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, the Bass Pro is only about 8 miles from the center of town.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Nov 2019, 13:54

I believe Bass Pro owns Cabela's, though it has sold off several stores.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 02 Nov 2019, 20:45

It occurs to me that I have been to the home stores of Cabella's, Bass Pro, and LL Bean.
I wish that were my most meager accomplishment.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Nov 2019, 15:25

Hmm. I think I've been to the home store of Rock Bottom Breweries and The Flying Saucer (one of the very early wall-o->100-taps micro/craftbrew-centric bars with no liquor, motto "DAFNGAT" meaning "Don't Ask For No Gin And Tonic") and El Fenix (which claims to be the originator of tex-mex).