America's Exit May Have Improved the TPP

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Aresen

America's Exit May Have Improved the TPP

Post by Aresen » 14 Nov 2017, 19:36

America's Exit May Have Improved the Trans-Pacific Partnership, but Not for America

I am beginning to feel libertarians are ground zero of "The Perfect is the Enemy of The Good"

No, the TPP was not free trade, nor is TPP2.

However, a reduction of tariffs and quotas is an improvement over the current situation and the people of all the countries (including Canada) involved will benefit by and large.

Reading the comments, however, makes me feel that economic literacy is not much better among so-called libertarians who pretend to espouse free trade.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JasonL

Re: America's Exit May Have Improved the TPP

Post by JasonL » 14 Nov 2017, 22:09

It is sad. Part of the larger narrative of stupidity seeking to overthrow a generally effective consensus.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Nov 2017, 14:11

Who's down with TPP?
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Nov 2017, 19:06

thoreau wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 14:11
Who's down with TPP?
Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Nov 2017, 20:26

Don't we already have a thread for stupid shit said on H&R, when anyone bothers to look?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Nov 2017, 20:30

Eric the .5b wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 20:26
Don't we already have a thread for stupid shit said on H&R, when anyone bothers to look?
This is for substantive discussion of articles and stuff at Reason.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Nov 2017, 20:31

This is one thread in an entire forum dedicated to discussing Hit and Run posts here. Each thread in this forum is for a post from HnR.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Nov 2017, 20:36

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 20:30
Eric the .5b wrote:
Right. I took Aresen's post to be about the stupid response there.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Nov 2017, 11:54

Eric the .5b wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 20:36
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
A little bit guilty as charged. I did object to the stupid response, but I am also very interested in the subject of international trade.

I really think that the resurgence of Mercantilism is a huge (hyuge?) threat to the world economy. Trump's position on trade - it's only a fair deal if the US wins on all fronts - is infantile, but it has a large base of support in the USA. If it were limited to Trump and his fanbase, I'd say "Wait it out". Some of the people and organizations that really ought to know better (I'm looking at you, Boeing) are the worst abusers of the 'fair trade' mantra. The anti-trade ideology pervades the entire political spectrum, from the alt-right to the Bernistas.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Nov 2017, 12:46

Aresen wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 11:54
Eric the .5b wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 20:36
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
A little bit guilty as charged. I did object to the stupid response, but I am also very interested in the subject of international trade.

I really think that the resurgence of Mercantilism is a huge (hyuge?) threat to the world economy. Trump's position on trade - it's only a fair deal if the US wins on all fronts - is infantile, but it has a large base of support in the USA. If it were limited to Trump and his fanbase, I'd say "Wait it out". Some of the people and organizations that really ought to know better (I'm looking at you, Boeing) are the worst abusers of the 'fair trade' mantra. The anti-trade ideology pervades the entire political spectrum, from the alt-right to the Bernistas.
Free trade is always a hard sell. I think the US was lucky for awhile in that it dominated trade throughout the world for so long that it became kind of the default way of thinking since the US appeared to benefit the most from it. Occasionally people would bring up tariffs or the trade deficit but it usually only involved small policy shifts.

However, with so many manufacturing jobs leaving, as well as low level tech based customer service jobs, large parts of the country that had been gainfully employed took a noticible hit. So it's not surprising that free trade and globalization isn't seen in positive light anymore. It's also easier to show the "negatives;" lost jobs, factories relocating, foreigners buying up US companies. The positves are harder to see as the benefits are more dispersed and don't always spread evenly throughout the country. Throw in things like the locavore movement and the general distrust of large companies and free trade has a lot fewer friends than it used to.