Is That Poll That Found College Students Don't Value Free Speech Really 'Junk Science'? Not So Fast

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Mo

Is That Poll That Found College Students Don't Value Free Speech Really 'Junk Science'? Not So Fast

Post by Mo » 01 Oct 2017, 21:41

That's a lot of words to say, "I really, really want this poll to be true."
Last edited by Mo on 02 Oct 2017, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Re: s That Poll That Found College Students Don't Value Free Speech Really 'Junk Science'? Not So Fast

Post by dhex » 02 Oct 2017, 09:43

yeahhhh.

while it's definitely in line with other polls produced in the past few years, it's also kinda crap.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Eric the .5b

Re: s That Poll That Found College Students Don't Value Free Speech Really 'Junk Science'? Not So Fast

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Oct 2017, 12:41

People in general don't value free speech. The people who attacked protectors outside of Trump rallies weren't vegan critical theorists majoring in basket weaving.

I've never seen convincing proof that college students are any worse than the general public, in that regard.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Oct 2017, 13:51

attitudes do vary by age

"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2017, 13:53

Pew research eh? Doesn't smell right.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Oct 2017, 14:03

I wonder if bootstrapping or jackknifing could be used to estimate margins of error even from a non random sample, but I don't have a good grasp of those methods.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Oct 2017, 14:05

dhex wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 13:51
attitudes do vary by age

I would like to say that replacing minorities with Christianity or the national anthem and watch the age supporting it flip.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Oct 2017, 14:14

Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 13:53
Pew research eh? Doesn't smell right.
:lol:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Oct 2017, 14:31

pew-pew-pew-pew-pew research has been temporarily halted to avoid triggering people in the aftermath of the Vegas shooting.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Oct 2017, 14:38

positioning by topic does tend to bend things, which is unfortunate.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Oct 2017, 14:45

I totally agree the flip would happen if you talk about the anthem or troops or flags. People are repugnant. Government should be able to prevent people from saying things that hurt feelings. jfc you slime dwelling monsters.

Jason

Post by Jason » 02 Oct 2017, 16:40

Mo wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 14:05
I would like to say that replacing minorities with Christianity or the national anthem and watch the age supporting it flip.
Right, for years, tolerance surveys only included questions on things rightists disliked and that was used to tar anyone non-leftist as hateful. but recently tolerance surveys started including things leftists dislike and, lo and behold, leftists were found intolerant, too.

Pew should really include questions about banning things across the political spectrum.
This message should not be used for any purposes in the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2017, 16:55

JasonL wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 14:45
I totally agree the flip would happen if you talk about the anthem or troops or flags. People are repugnant. Government should be able to prevent people from saying things that hurt feelings. jfc you slime dwelling monsters.
And if we want to talk about the evils of Big Pharma giving our children autism with their toxic vaccines? And the mystical healing properties of Kale extract diluted 101010?

I'm just asking questions.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Oct 2017, 17:11

Anti-vaxxers are remarkably bipartisan.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Oct 2017, 17:14

Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 16:55
JasonL wrote:
And if we want to talk about the evils of Big Pharma giving our children autism with their toxic vaccines? And the mystical healing properties of Kale extract diluted 101010?

Product claims should be subject to fraud and anti vaxxers should be subject to liability. You don't control that at the speech level per se.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Oct 2017, 17:17

JasonL wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 17:14
Warren wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 16:55
JasonL wrote:

Product claims should be subject to fraud and anti vaxxers should be subject to liability. You don't control that at the speech level per se.
Oh ho ho.
I find your liability reasoning to be spurious.

JasonL

Re: Is That Poll That Found College Students Don't Value Free Speech Really 'Junk Science'? Not So Fast

Post by JasonL » 02 Oct 2017, 17:20

If you don't vax your kid and my vax allergic kid gets measles, we can demonstrate contact and subpoena a test for the virus and the size of the damages should make your great grandchildren weep at your foolishness.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Oct 2017, 19:32

Mo wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 14:05
dhex wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 13:51
attitudes do vary by age
Right. Nobody controls these surveys for "shit that actually offends the people responding".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem