'Antifa Attack Peaceful Right-Wing Demonstrators in Berkeley'

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Aug 2017, 14:24

The thug's veto, this time from the far left.

If the proper answer to bad speech is more and better speech, the answer to violence that threatens the right of assembly is more and bigger assemblies dedicated to free speech and peaceful assembly.
I'm gonna have to disagree with Nick.

If being opposed to Antifa (and I am) means having to turn out in the streets and stand next to Nazis just to show I want to protect their rights to speech and peaceful assembly (and I do), I'm going to have to pass. I'm in the "The most disgusting speech needs the most protection" camp, but I don't want to actually rub shoulders with those disgusting people.

Seems to me, too many people have been getting too worked up and becoming too active for too long in this country. I think we should encourage people to stay home. The more people that sit it out, the better off we'll all be. I'm calling for a new slogan:
ARMCHAIRS FOR PEACE
Last edited by Warren on 28 Aug 2017, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: 'Antifa Attack Peaceful Right-Wing Demonstrators in Berkeley'

Post by Sandy » 28 Aug 2017, 14:52

The problem is that they're going to keep arming themselves for battle more on both sides and keep escalating. I'm just glad nobody in Antifa has decided to go the Truck of Peace route.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Aug 2017, 15:50

When it comes to a battle, my money's on the alt-right, since Antifa doesn't believe in the Second Amendment. :P

As for defending their right to free speech, I'm on Team Warren.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jake

Post by Jake » 30 Aug 2017, 15:29

Warren wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 14:24
If being opposed to Antifa (and I am) means having to turn out in the streets and stand next to Nazis just to show I want to protect their rights to speech and peaceful assembly (and I do), I'm going to have to pass. I'm in the "The most disgusting speech needs the most protection" camp, but I don't want to actually rub shoulders with those disgusting people.
I think the only way to do that would be to show up with a sign that says "I think these people have terrible, stupid, and evil ideas, but if we shut them down from speaking, we're bad too. Let's just let them speak and then mercilessly ridicule them."

Problem is, that'd have to be in a pretty small font. "Let's smash those bastards!" fits on a sign way better.
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Aug 2017, 15:40

"Let them speak, so we know who to make fun of"
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Aug 2017, 15:43

Mo wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 15:40
White Nationalists are Idiots

Let them speak so we know they are idiots
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Aug 2017, 15:57

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 15:43
Mo wrote:
White Nationalists are Idiots

Let them speak so we know they are idiots
This is what I've been saying. Also, let racists and homophobes be racist and homophobic in their private business and hiring practices, so we know who to avoid doing business with. Assholes have rights, freedom of association and dissociation should be among them.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 30 Aug 2017, 16:07

Mo wrote:
A bit lengthy for a sign, but: "Better to remain silent and thought a racist douchebag than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Aug 2017, 16:52

It would help in these situations if cops knew how to do their jobs without being cunts.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Aug 2017, 18:05

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 16:52
It would help in these situations if cops knew how to do their jobs without being cunts.
This is the thing. In Charlottesville, both sides (since they are both claiming victimhood) have complained about the police doing nothing. And yet if they had done something, it most assuredly would have still been a violent shitshow, just cops vs. everyone instead of nazis vs. antifa. If anyone has ever come up with a way for police to contain an out-of-control protest without accusations of inappropriate use of force, I haven't seen it. Or maybe it does happen, but without riots we wouldn't hear about it.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 30 Aug 2017, 19:07

"<---- I'm NOT with stupid ---->"
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Aug 2017, 19:11

could we just thunderdome the antifa and the nazis?
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Aug 2017, 19:20

Kwix wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 19:07
"<---- I'm NOT with stupid ---->"
Win
dhex wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 19:11
No. Because that would mean one of them gets to leave.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 30 Aug 2017, 19:52

The right to openly discuss ideas must be defended.

From a while ago.

"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 31 Aug 2017, 22:08

dhex wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 19:11
I'm good with this, but to placate Warren, I suggest we simply put them on a remote island and just let nature take its course. But with drone cameras.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Aug 2017, 22:30

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 31 Aug 2017, 22:40

Off topic but what's the "amp" I'm seeing in so many urls all of a sudden?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 31 Aug 2017, 22:46

Mo wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 22:30
This is good.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/538320/
How can I get paid big bucks to write obvious things using too many words?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 Aug 2017, 22:58

the innominate one wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 22:40
Off topic but what's the "amp" I'm seeing in so many urls all of a sudden?
It's a slimmed-down version of a link for mobile phones that can't necessarily handle lots of interactive or video stuff, compared to a regular computer.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 31 Aug 2017, 23:03

Why the replacement of m."url" so many pages already were using?

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Aug 2017, 23:04

31 Aug 2017, 22:46
Mo wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 22:30
This is good.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/538320/
How can I get paid big bucks to write obvious things using too many words?
As I've learned from corporate America, you can appear to be brilliant just by saying shit that people are a) too chickenshit b) politically bound to say. The right can't admit their bad people are worse and need to lump the left's scary black people with the bad people (partly to appease the non-violent side of their bad people*) and the young left people are a little envious of being able to viscerally lash out against bad people. Kevin Drum laid it out pretty simply, "Non-violent antifa = good, violent antifa = bad," but Conor lays out the distinctions pretty clearly and cogently.

I mean, we live in a world where people pay Sean Davis and Mollie Hemingway more than subsistence wages for their opinions and they're morons.

* Also, the state sponsored version of their violent bad people
Last edited by Mo on 31 Aug 2017, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 31 Aug 2017, 23:04

31 Aug 2017, 23:03
Why the replacement of m."url" so many pages already were using?
It's google's system.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 31 Aug 2017, 23:09

Thanks, all.

Mo, I'm sure you're right, but there's something else I haven't mastered because people sure don't seem to like it when I point out flaws and uncomfortable truths. Possibly the overuse of "fuck" in the process. Or just lack of political capital and stature at work. Or working for fucking idiots all the time.

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Aug 2017, 23:23

31 Aug 2017, 23:09
Thanks, all.

Mo, I'm sure you're right, but there's something else I haven't mastered because people sure don't seem to like it when I point out flaws and uncomfortable truths. Possibly the overuse of "fuck" in the process. Or just lack of political capital and stature at work. Or working for fucking idiots all the time.
It's the bolded stuff. I found success is knowing who to tell the uncomfortable truths to and who not to. Those people then give you capital and cover to tell it to more people. It's like a sense of humor. You can be funny early in your career, because you're young. You can be funny if you're senior, it makes you down to earth. But in the middle of your career, lots of people see you as immature.

Not to mention, being a partisan water carrier pays better. Like you can write memos justifying torture and a big 3 newspaper will still pay you as if your opinion on moral matters is actually relevant.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 02 Sep 2017, 00:54

Slip inside a sleeping bag.