'Antifa Attack Peaceful Right-Wing Demonstrators in Berkeley'

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Warren

Re: 'Antifa Attack Peaceful Right-Wing Demonstrators in Berkeley'

Post by Warren » 02 Sep 2017, 01:07

dbcooper wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 00:54
What responses is he talking about. I trudged through as much of the comments as I could take. It's all left/right fecal flinging over whether Antifa are terrorists or whether neo-nazis are worse. I'm not seeing how "early 2016" enters into it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 02 Sep 2017, 01:22

Lots of people on the Twitters are saying things like "Donald Trump's administration has declared ANTIFA terrorists", or "Liberals have concerned trolled ANTIFA so much that they've been declared terrorists."
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Sep 2017, 01:25

dbcooper wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 01:22
Lots of people on the Twitters are saying things like "Donald Trump's administration has declared ANTIFA terrorists", or "Liberals have concerned trolled ANTIFA so much that they've been declared terrorists."
thx
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Sep 2017, 20:03

Jennifer wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 22:58
the innominate one wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 22:40
Off topic but what's the "amp" I'm seeing in so many urls all of a sudden?
It's a slimmed-down version of a link for mobile phones that can't necessarily handle lots of interactive or video stuff, compared to a regular computer.
And not a particularly great one. A Google initiative that a lot of outlets are actually moving away from.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Sep 2017, 20:16

Mo wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 23:04
As I've learned from corporate America, you can appear to be brilliant just by saying shit that people are a) too chickenshit b) politically bound to say. The right can't admit their bad people are worse and need to lump the left's scary black people with the bad people (partly to appease the non-violent side of their bad people*) and the young left people are a little envious of being able to viscerally lash out against bad people. Kevin Drum laid it out pretty simply, "Non-violent antifa = good, violent antifa = bad," but Conor lays out the distinctions pretty clearly and cogently.
And really, I'm not terribly concerned about people willing to resort to violence in self-defense and defense of others, if and when it comes to that. Neo-Nazis have been killing people for decades. If the antifa were remotely similar to them as a threat, there'd be a lot more blood on the streets, right now. There are non-violent protesters who've said they think they might be dead without the antifa around, and I'm inclined to believe them.

Now, the antifa who are open about being willing to use violence "if necessary" to try to keep their political enemies from so much as assembling and speaking? Yeah, I'm against those guys, because at the very least, there's no telling who their next targets will be. But they're lower on the problem list than white supremacists...and, I suspect, a lot of the left-wing fans of the antifa, who are getting suspectly fond, lately, of justifying violent action and dismissing liberal democracy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem