Donald Trump and the Sad Triumph of Right-Wing Political Correctness

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Hugh Akston

Donald Trump and the Sad Triumph of Right-Wing Political Correctness

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Aug 2017, 12:47

Gillespie throws some hot shade at the Trumpling commentariat
Among the Trump faithful, there are never legitimate grounds upon which to disagree with anything the billionaire says or does. If Barack Obama's most strident defenders were sometimes quick to claim any criticism of him was racist, thereby delegitimating honest disagreement, Trump's supporters are equally quick to denounce any dissent as proof positive of secret membership in Antifa, a pro-Hillary voting record, or a desperate attempt to look good among the communists who run the much-discussed-yet-little-seen Washington, D.C. cocktail party circuit.
Confidence in major American institutions (including the presidency and Congress, held by the GOP) are at or near historic lows and Trump's brain farts on Twitter and at press conferences aren't the tonic needed to change any of that. You're forgetting that most Americans actively despise left-wing political correctness for all the ways that it chokes off even the possibility of meaningful debate about all sorts of issues that matter to us all. Far from wanting a right-wing variant that squelches discussions before they can even get going, we want a social sphere we can talk honestly, work toward common ground, and agree to disagree.

You're not offering any of that, which helps explain why your man in the White House's numbers are sinking. Nor are you offering a positive vision of the future. Instead, you're merely standing athwart over Confederate statues, free trade, and economic innovation, and continuing ethnic diversification yelling Stop! Good luck with all that, but when you fail, please remember not to blame anyone but yourselves. For a change.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Re: Donald Trump and the Sad Triumph of Right-Wing Political Correctness

Post by nicole » 18 Aug 2017, 13:01

That's the stuff.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 18 Aug 2017, 14:35

Correct.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 18 Aug 2017, 15:32

I do wonder about the perennial implication that this is all new. Still of course, yay team and the refs are always on the other team's side.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Aug 2017, 16:33

It's not so much that it's all new as uniquely ironic given that Trump was the "tell it like it is no more PC" candidate.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Aug 2017, 17:02

JasonL wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 16:33
It's not so much that it's all new as uniquely ironic given that Trump was the "tell it like it is no more PC" candidate.
Please see RSN's sig line to see my original take on the phenomenon.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 18 Aug 2017, 17:37

JasonL wrote:
Oh, well in that respect he's kind of both stretching and shifting the definition of PC, IMO. I certainly don't think of it as meaning anytime your team gets criticized the criticizer is a bad person who belongs to the enemy. It's more oriented toward identity politics than political teams per se, and it's kind of inherently a lefty thing, I mean just by definition, based on how people use and understand it. That said, it's true enough that in a broad sense it's really not so very different from team politics whose players are certainly no better than PC warriors in terms of open v. closed-mindedness and finger pointing and the like (enemy mongering?). And it's damn good to point that out. Whether the "see, you're PC, too!" gambit per se will work on anyone is anyone's guess. But were I the object of it myself I'd just say, no, I'm not PC, I'm just a dick in other, maybe similar ways, haha! (BTW, if one objects to my use of "team" cause Reds are largely red-faced over Trump right now, I think a "Team Trump" can be acknowledged whether or not that aligns all that perfectly with Team Red right at the moment....)

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Aug 2017, 17:44

JasonL wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 14:44
Ayup
Ditto
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 18 Aug 2017, 18:00

Mo wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 17:02
JasonL wrote:
Please see RSN's sig line to see my original take on the phenomenon.
*reads RSN's sig*

Heh, it's like people say about Larry David, the things that annoy him annoy me too!

Of course, no one ever mistook Larry David for a tough guy....

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 18 Aug 2017, 22:39

Fuckin' A, Nick.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 19 Aug 2017, 13:45

Unswerving alignment with Trump is a indicator that victim culture is the water that both SJ and the alt-right are swimming in. He's the perfect example of someone who is amazing at everything but foiled by his enemies at every turn amirite 'Murrica? We're the best and it's only these wreckers that are holding us back!