Ross Ulbricht Loses His Appeal Over Conviction and Sentenci

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Warren

Ross Ulbricht Loses His Appeal Over Conviction and Sentenci

Post by Warren » 01 Jun 2017, 10:21

Ross Ulbricht Loses His Appeal Over Conviction and Sentencing in Silk Road Case

Fuuuuuuuu

America's three greatest living heroes
1 Ed Snowden
2 Ross Ulbricht
3 Chelsea Manning
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Re: Ross Ulbricht Loses His Appeal Over Conviction and Sente

Post by Aresen » 01 Jun 2017, 10:36

Until the whole WoD is ended, the drug warriors are going to be looking for poster villains, even if they have to make them up.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Jun 2017, 10:42

The bit about needing to punish him extra specifically because he dared question the law also came up in his initial sentencing. It's impressively disgusting, and guess what, most of your neighbors approve.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jun 2017, 10:43

Aresen wrote:Until the whole WoD is ended, the drug warriors are going to be looking for poster villains, even if they have to make them up.
Ulbricht really puts a bow on it with an opinion that says, We're going to fuck you extra hard for taking away the justifications we were using to fuck the likes of you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Jun 2017, 11:27

The first part of the opinion is the Catch 22 appellate stuff that I love so much.

"We find that everything favorable to the defense or harmful to the government's case that the trial judge excluded was completely in the judge's discretion. Even if it was wrong to exclude, it doesn't matter because the defendant was obviously guilty and our magic ball says the jury wouldn't have cared about all that evidence."
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Jun 2017, 13:12

Everyone else is scum in this story, but he did almost assuredly try to hire a murderer. So, not a lot of sympathy.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Jun 2017, 13:16

Uh yeah let us not gloss the murder for hire.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Jun 2017, 13:16

Dangerman wrote:Everyone else is scum in this story, but he did almost assuredly try to hire a murderer. So, not a lot of sympathy.
The last I read, made it sound like that was total BS the government made up to kill any support/sympathy he might have gotten. What are you reading?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Jun 2017, 14:41

Warren wrote:
Dangerman wrote:Everyone else is scum in this story, but he did almost assuredly try to hire a murderer. So, not a lot of sympathy.
The last I read, made it sound like that was total BS the government made up to kill any support/sympathy he might have gotten. What are you reading?
This was my understanding as well.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Jun 2017, 14:54

Andrew wrote:
Warren wrote:
I'm certainly more inclined to believe Ulbricht than the fucking feds.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Jun 2017, 15:01

nicole wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Warren wrote:
I'm certainly more inclined to believe Ulbricht than the fucking feds.
Well according to those feds Ulbricht is definitely a cold-blooded killerman, which is why he should be denied bail. But uh why bother to actually charge him?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Jun 2017, 15:03

Well googling for rational discussion of that particular evidence yielded a bunch of nothing.

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 01 Jun 2017, 15:04

Not a lot of sympathy for life without parole?
Guess I should find a funny sig, huh?

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Jun 2017, 15:34

So I spent an hour diving in, and yeah, I can't find anything solid to justify why I thought the murder charge was so certain. Guess I'll retract that.

Shit's fucked. If DPR is only guilty of drug law violations, a life sentence is an abomination.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 01 Jun 2017, 15:50

Dangerman wrote:So I spent an hour diving in, and yeah, I can't find anything solid to justify why I thought the murder charge was so certain. Guess I'll retract that.

Shit's fucked. If DPR is only guilty of drug law violations, a life sentence is an abomination.
A life sentence for running a website. Code monkeys beware, I guess.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Jun 2017, 21:13

It seems to me that there should be some sort of redress for cases that are clearly meant to make an example of someone, which violates the essential basic concept of equal treatment under the law. This ruling is completely outrageous, and a good example of why the Democrats lost my vote permanently after '92:
wikipedia wrote:Gerard Edmund Lynch... after previously having been appointed in 2000 by President Bill Clinton to serve on the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. Judge Lynch was the first appeals-court judge nominated by President Barack Obama to win confirmation from the United States Senate.
Judge Evil wrote:n this case, a reminder of the consequences of facilitating such transactions was perhaps more necessary, particularly because Ulbricht claimed that his site actually made the drug trade safer, and he appeared to contest the legitimacy of the laws he violated.
I realize judges have a lot of discretion over what gets said at trial, but how the fuck is this not 1A protected political speech.
"No federal judge needs to be reminded of the tragic consequences of the traffic in dangerous substances on the lives of users and addicts, or of the risks of overdose and other ramifications of the most dangerous of illegal drugs," Lynch wrote, implying that Judge Forrest could just presume that Silk Road's existence had lots of horrible collateral damage for which Ulbricht should be rightly punished.
And this is a danger to democracy. Get more punishment because someone *thinks* you might have committed another crime. That's just completely unmoored from jurisprudence (not to mention common sense). Not that this doesn't happen on occasion, I'm sure, but I guess now it's official.

And the smear-frame up for the murder-for-hire looks so ham handed it just makes me think the government doesn't think it has to even try anymore.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jason

Post by Jason » 13 Jun 2017, 18:28

dead_elvis wrote:It seems to me that there should be some sort of redress for cases that are clearly meant to make an example of someone, which violates the essential basic concept of equal treatment under the law.
How about "cruel and unusual"?

There is a method of redress because I recall a while ago a judge lost a nomination of higher office because he had reduced the sentence of someone convicted of a hate crime to match that of his codefendents.
This message should not be used for any purposes in the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.