All This Impeachment Talk Is Pure Trump Derangement Syndrome

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Mo

Re: All This Impeachment Talk Is Pure Trump Derangement Synd

Post by Mo » 25 May 2017, 22:23

Warren wrote:I don't think any future politician is taking notes on what not to do. By the time all other politicians reaches the point they can run for POTUS as a major party candidate, they have become expert in finding pretexts to justify whatever power they wish to wield. The fact that Trump is sitting in the Oval Office and seemingly has zero such skills, counts in his favor as far as I'm concerned.
So the fact that he's trying to take more power, but too incompetent and incurious to do it correctly is a point in his favor? Thing is, if he were to win a second term his staff could figure out how to work around court rulings.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 25 May 2017, 23:29

I'm not quite convinced his staff is capable of learning. Or perhaps the administration organism is not capable of learning because of who comprise the cells.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 26 May 2017, 13:48

Without going all West Wing here, I think the root problem is Trump's particular sort of narcissism. It has not only resulted in his bringing in advisors who are as clueless about Washington as he is but also about his unwillingness to heed the ones who do know. I don't see that as a likely pattern for future POTUS's.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 May 2017, 17:48

Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:I don't think any future politician is taking notes on what not to do. By the time all other politicians reaches the point they can run for POTUS as a major party candidate, they have become expert in finding pretexts to justify whatever power they wish to wield. The fact that Trump is sitting in the Oval Office and seemingly has zero such skills, counts in his favor as far as I'm concerned.
So the fact that he's trying to take more power, but too incompetent and incurious to do it correctly is a point in his favor? Thing is, if he were to win a second term his staff could figure out how to work around court rulings.
And I'm really worried that their workaround will be "How many tank divisions does SCOTUS have?"
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 May 2017, 18:54

Mo wrote:
I only have so many shits to give. I don't want to waste them on Bozogate.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 May 2017, 19:05

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Without going all West Wing here, I think the root problem is Trump's particular sort of narcissism. It has not only resulted in his bringing in advisors who are as clueless about Washington as he is but also about his unwillingness to heed the ones who do know. I don't see that as a likely pattern for future POTUS's.
Or have we seen the future and it's Trump to Time's End?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 26 May 2017, 19:13

Aresen wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:Without going all West Wing here, I think the root problem is Trump's particular sort of narcissism. It has not only resulted in his bringing in advisors who are as clueless about Washington as he is but also about his unwillingness to heed the ones who do know. I don't see that as a likely pattern for future POTUS's.
Or have we seen the future and it's Trump to Time's End?
The Dems will win in 2020 because the black vote turnout will skyrocket, the Dems will have learned to pay closer attention to the EC and swing states and the candidate won't be Hillary Clinton. As a result, we'll have single payer health care by 2024, which may end up being a reasonable price to pay for no more Trump.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 May 2017, 19:24

D.A. Ridgely wrote:The Dems will win in 2020 because the black vote turnout will skyrocket,
It will? Why do you believe that?
D.A. Ridgely wrote:the Dems will have learned to pay closer attention to the EC and swing states
They will? Why do you believe that?
D.A. Ridgely wrote: the candidate won't be Hillary Clinton
She won't? No, she won't. The Democrats are already sick of her.
D.A. Ridgely wrote: As a result, we'll have single payer health care by 2024
Oh I hope not. But I don't doubt it.
D.A. Ridgely wrote:which may end up being a reasonable price to pay for no more Trump.
WTF? What is this terrible price we're paying now?
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 26 May 2017, 19:35

Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:The Dems will win in 2020 because the black vote turnout will skyrocket,
It will? Why do you believe that?
D.A. Ridgely wrote:the Dems will have learned to pay closer attention to the EC and swing states
They will? Why do you believe that?
D.A. Ridgely wrote: the candidate won't be Hillary Clinton
She won't? No, she won't. The Democrats are already sick of her.
D.A. Ridgely wrote: As a result, we'll have single payer health care by 2024
Oh I hope not. But I don't doubt it.
D.A. Ridgely wrote:which may end up being a reasonable price to pay for no more Trump.
WTF? What is this terrible price we're paying now?
First, because black voters as a bloc are frightened by the prospect of a second Trump term. Second, because electoral politics is about the only thing professional politicians ever do learn. Last, because Trump's presidency is genuinely frightening, especially if he finally starts figuring out how Washington actually works and starts getting what he wants. And because single payer is a psychological fait accompli already. More and more people believe health care is a basic human right that should be provided (for free!) by the state. There's no evidence that trend is going to change; the only question is how long it takes to get here.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 May 2017, 19:41

Team D.A.R., at least as far as 2020 goes.

A lot of Blue voters sat on their hands in 2016. Enough to have changed the outcome in the swing states. They were ambiguous about HRC but complacent that she would win without their vote. They hate Trump and will turn out against him - or the GOP candidate if it is not Trump - in 2020.

Further, Trump's promises will not come to fruition. There will be more Red stay at homes.

As for single payer, that depends more on the GOP's ability to block after 2020. We'll get a better read on that after November 6, 2018
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 26 May 2017, 19:48

It looks like there's a ten, maybe fifteen point on the outside swing in the congressional ballot.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 May 2017, 20:25

Not quite the same thing, but there are reports that the Senate Republicans will do away with the power of senators to block judicial nominees in their states. Whether you approve or disapprove of such blocks, the overall trend has been ton erode the traditional blocking procedures available in the Senate as people simultaneously make greater use of the ones that remain. This calls into question whether the US will continue to give the congressional minority blocking powers.

This is a very risky situation. On the one hand, it limits the ability of presidents to enact sweeping agendas when they have a congressional majority. That is a good thing. It also gives more power to presidents with congressional majorities. That is a bad thing. The net effect of those two opposing effects is wilder swings between energetic executives and stagnation. And besides instability being bad, if the executive can't get things done with congressional cooperation they will get it done via executive orders and creative interpretations of law. That is bad.

We are on a multigenerational slide toward the legislative branch being vestigial.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 May 2017, 20:35

D.A. Ridgely wrote:black voters as a bloc are frightened by the prospect of a second Trump term.
They are? I wasn't aware of that.
D.A. Ridgely wrote:electoral politics is about the only thing professional politicians ever do learn.
I suppose so. But I think it ill advised to discount their propensity for self immolation.
D.A. Ridgely wrote:Last, because Trump's presidency is genuinely frightening, especially if he finally starts figuring out how Washington actually works and starts getting what he wants.
booga booga
Part of "figuring out how Washington works" is leaning to want more of the same.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 May 2017, 03:04

What in the ever loving fuck is going on?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ion-report
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 May 2017, 16:45

McMaster's comments on this and the Israeli intel snafu seem to point that he's become the type of general he wrote his book about.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 May 2017, 22:58

Absolute Trump trumps absolutely.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 May 2017, 20:28

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 May 2017, 20:56

Mo wrote:Ooof
“We are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel,” said McMaster, President Trump’s national security adviser
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Is he really so unself-conscious as to actually use that phrase? It is enough to give boomers flashback. It was a running gag in 1970.

EDIT: Oh, fuck. I should have realized it is a satirical site.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 31 May 2017, 21:25

Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:Ooof
“We are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel,” said McMaster, President Trump’s national security adviser
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Is he really so unself-conscious as to actually use that phrase? It is enough to give boomers flashback. It was a running gag in 1970.

EDIT: Oh, fuck. I should have realized it is a satirical site.
Yeah Duffleblog is a good site but it's all satire.

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 May 2017, 22:16

Yup. But I do think it's represents a shift how McMaster is perceived. Less as a truth teller and more as a water carrier.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 31 May 2017, 22:50

It makes you wonder if all those people that didn't promote him when they had a chance were onto something.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 May 2017, 22:54

Kolohe wrote:It makes you wonder if all those people that didn't promote him when they had a chance were onto something.
Not sure of how Pentagon culture works, but I thought there was a consensus that you were either "up" or "out".

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 May 2017, 22:59

Kolohe wrote:It makes you wonder if all those people that didn't promote him when they had a chance were onto something.
The thing is, not getting promoted helps your rep as a truth-teller. Obviously, you're not getting promoted because you won't tow party lions.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 May 2017, 23:03

Mo wrote:
The thing is, not getting promoted helps your rep as a truth-teller. Obviously, you're not getting promoted because you won't tow party lions.
Believing in chemtrails and HAARP, doesn't help one's career prospects either. :lol:
(Unless, of course, you are a billionaire running for POTUS.)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 31 May 2017, 23:04

I'm re reading the wiki page now. My understanding was that he made colonel on time or early, but was passed over for general a few times (which is the most competitive advancement, by percentage)

Wiki follows this narrative, and that they gave a special look to a lot of colonels that were passed over by The System - and this screening gave McMaster his stars.

*but* wiki also says that the main year group (i.e. commissioning year) for the group of generals that were made contemporaneous with him was 1982 - and he was just the 2nd guy from his year (1984) to make general.

So it's not like he languished for long, and I'm thinking the narrative of his promotion is a bit a myth making i.e. he was probably going to make general within a year or two of when he did. He would have only hit high yea tenure and had to get out if he were still a colonel in 2014.