All This Impeachment Talk Is Pure Trump Derangement Syndrome

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Warren

Post by Warren » 17 May 2017, 19:51

Team fuckin Nick.
In all my days I've never seen so much pants shitting over the comical antics of a talking ape.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Re: All This Impeachment Talk Is Pure Trump Derangement Synd

Post by Aresen » 17 May 2017, 20:18

Agree.

I may detest Trump, but there is no impeachment in the offing at this time. The Comey firing was stupid, but there is no real evidence at this time that Trump 'is a Russian agent'.

What we seen so far has been the Beltway Media equivalent of the guy who knows somebody whose aunt's gardner's son worked in Area 51 and can prove there are space aliens.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 17 May 2017, 21:50

D'accord.

Why so many people allow him to live rent free in their heads is a mystery to me. Maybe he's better at the real estate game than I thought.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 May 2017, 22:11

I agree that impeachment is not likely to be on the horizon, but I don't know if I'd call it "Trump derangement syndrome" so much as "giving congressional Republicans too much credit" syndrome. Trump's already broken far too many rules -- remember back when we-all here were certain his numerous breakings of the "emoluments clause" was going to be a common topic of American household discussion? -- but the Republicans aren't going to do jack or shit about any of Trump's behavior unless and until enough of hem worry he'll hurt them on their next election day.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 May 2017, 22:23

In decreasing order of likelihood, here are the ways I think the nation no longer suffers a President Trump:

1. Medical reasons, e.g, a serious stroke or heart attack,
2. Assassination,
3. He loses in 2020,
4. He resigns, who cares why,
5. The 25th Amendment is triggered by something short of number one,
6. He leaves in 2025 when the next president is sworn in.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 May 2017, 22:29

D.A. Ridgely wrote:In decreasing order of likelihood, here are the ways I think the nation no longer suffers a President Trump:

2. Assassination,
3. He loses in 2020,
I suspect the 25th amendment on "dude's crazy" grounds is as unlikely as impeachment, and for the same reason -- the Republicans in Congress and the Senate would never go for it, no matter what Trump says or does. Better to wreck the country than admit any Democrat might be right about something.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 17 May 2017, 23:01

Jennifer wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:In decreasing order of likelihood, here are the ways I think the nation no longer suffers a President Trump:

2. Assassination,
3. He loses in 2020,
I suspect the 25th amendment on "dude's crazy" grounds is as unlikely as impeachment, and for the same reason -- the Republicans in Congress and the Senate would never go for it, no matter what Trump says or does. Better to wreck the country than admit any Democrat might be right about something.
Admittedly, the bar has already been set so low that it's hard to imagine how aberrant Trump's behavior would have to be, but if there are, e.g., clear signs of Alzheimer's, I think there would be enough responsible Republicans to force the issue. To work, however, they'd have to get the Democrats to promise to shut the fuck up long enough for it to appear to be a completely Republican decision.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 17 May 2017, 23:13

As it happens, I think the Comey thing is probably legitimately impeachable. But it won't happen, and everyone in DC knows it. Trump could shoot a baby on 5th avenue while raping a disabled veteran and using a crucifix as a sex toy, finish by wiping his dick on the flag, and his support among team red wouldn't suffer more than a slight blip. I wish the Democrats in Congress would just shut up and stop pretending that anything is going to happen.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 May 2017, 07:23

2. Assassination,
3. He loses in 2020,
#2 is last on that list for me. #3 is the most likely.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 May 2017, 10:09

#1. Possible - I would prefer something like shingles or uncontrollable bowel incontinence.
#2. FSM forbid. I do not want him a martyr. All his worst policies would be sanctified.
#3. Very likely. The drama when he refuses to leave the White House January 20, 2021 would be comedy gold.
#4. With his ego? Are you kidding?
#5. Who will bell the cat?
#6. Assuming there is still any Constitution left at that time.

Impeachment is possible between January 3, 2019 and November 3, 2020. (Actually, if the GOP takes big losses in the 2018 mid-terms, Team Blue might deliberately avoid impeachment just to rack up a veto-proof congress for Michelle Obama's first term.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 May 2017, 10:12

The worst of moderately plausible outcomes to me is the one where Trump exits under impeachment or scandal and there is a full court press to "undo" the election because it was invalid tampering something something. That would be a nightmare.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 18 May 2017, 10:12

Kolohe wrote:

2. Assassination,
3. He loses in 2020,
#2 is last on that list for me. #3 is the most likely.
My list would be from most likely to least likely

1. He leaves in 2025 when the next president is sworn in.
2. Medical reasons, e.g, a serious stroke or heart attack,
3. He loses in 2020,

That's it. He would never, ever, ever, ever resign. The ego is too intense.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 May 2017, 10:19

C'mon, we all know he's going to die in office sometime in his 3rd or 4th term. ;)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 May 2017, 12:50

we are living in a fundamentally Libertarian Moment
OFFS
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 May 2017, 13:09

Mo wrote:
OFFS
Yeah, I don't see that AT ALL. More like peak "this proves you have to get the RIGHT PEOPLE in office for all that centralized power to be justified."
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 May 2017, 13:36

Ellie wrote:
Mo wrote:
OFFS
Yeah, I don't see that AT ALL. More like peak "this proves you have to get the RIGHT PEOPLE in office for all that centralized power to be justified."
How is that not fundamental to the last 50 years of libertarian existence?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 May 2017, 13:39

Mo wrote:
OFFS
Maybe that means this moment is completely representative of libertarian irrelevance to big moments in history?

JD

Post by JD » 18 May 2017, 14:21

Personally I think the 25th Amendment talk is even more Trump Derangement-inspired than even impeachment talk. IANAConstitutionalLawyer, but IMO, use of the 25th Amendment in anything short of a "the President is now in a coma" or "is now literally flinging feces and declaring that he is Jesus Christ" situation is a clear attempt to get what is effectively an impeachment by non-impeachment means.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 18 May 2017, 14:26

JD wrote:Personally I think the 25th Amendment talk is even more Trump Derangement-inspired than even impeachment talk. IANAConstitutionalLawyer, but IMO, use of the 25th Amendment in anything short of a "the President is now in a coma" or "is now literally flinging feces and declaring that he is Jesus Christ" situation is a clear attempt to get what is effectively an impeachment by non-impeachment means.
The bar to activating the 25th amendment process is actually higher than the bar to impeachment.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 May 2017, 14:44

Concur, but I don't think impeachment is all that unlikely. There keeps being more 'there' there with this Russia thing. I give it about a 25% chance in the next two years, now that there's a special prosecutor. Regardless of whether there's any way to prove an improper link to Russia, I just don't think Trump has the temperament NOT to try to obstruct that investigation. Once enough of his people are either in jail or flipping on him to stay out, he'd go down, even with a GOP majority.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 18 May 2017, 14:48

Likelihood of it actually happening aside, I thought the suggestion to Comey to ease up or whatever on the Russia probe was probably the most impeachable actual revelation so far. Wasn't that akin to the "smoking gun" that finally sunk Nixon (i.e., made impeachment so likely that he resigned)? I suppose Trump's request may have stopped short of an outright order, though I would also think a decent attorney could easily blur that distinction in the context of who said it to whom.

Obviously, the only way impeachment happens is if the Elephants think it's in their interest, and things would have to swing pretty far south for that to be the case. But then, I don't know if that's so implausible as everyone else seems to think considering how things have been swinging thus far. I wouldn't bet on it and we're clearly not there now, but just sayin' the current trajectory suggests it's not so completely out of the question.

(Written before seeing lunchstealer's post.)
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 May 2017, 15:20

JD wrote: "is now literally flinging feces and declaring that he is Jesus Christ"
So, 3 to 6 months? :P

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 May 2017, 15:40

Jadagul wrote:
JD wrote:Personally I think the 25th Amendment talk is even more Trump Derangement-inspired than even impeachment talk. IANAConstitutionalLawyer, but IMO, use of the 25th Amendment in anything short of a "the President is now in a coma" or "is now literally flinging feces and declaring that he is Jesus Christ" situation is a clear attempt to get what is effectively an impeachment by non-impeachment means.
The bar to activating the 25th amendment process is actually higher than the bar to impeachment.
To be precise, the bar for *completing* the 25th amendment process for removing a Prez is higher than impeachment.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 18 May 2017, 15:44

Kolohe wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
To be precise, the bar for *completing* the 25th amendment process for removing a Prez is higher than impeachment.
Yeah.

It's easy to trigger in the sense of "declaring the president is out of commission, I'm running things right now."

But if the President challenges the removal, the bar in Congress to make it stick is much higher.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 May 2017, 16:26

lunchstealer wrote:Concur, but I don't think impeachment is all that unlikely. There keeps being more 'there' there with this Russia thing. I give it about a 25% chance in the next two years, now that there's a special prosecutor. Regardless of whether there's any way to prove an improper link to Russia, I just don't think Trump has the temperament NOT to try to obstruct that investigation. Once enough of his people are either in jail or flipping on him to stay out, he'd go down, even with a GOP majority.
This.

I think it's quite likely that Trump is simply the most useful idiot in the world (or at least the most idiotic idiot in the world) when it comes to Russia. He might honestly believe that the only reason so many people in his circle have ties to Russia is that Russians are smart and know a winner when they see one and know how to join the right team and there's no way any of this has any connection to Russian investors being involved in his real estate. He's sufficiently egotistical for that.

But there's no way that everyone in his circle is equally oblivious; some of them surely knew that they were either breaking rules or at least playing in the grayest of gray areas, and a special prosecutor will go after that. And Trump won't like that. So he'll try to obstruct. And in the process he'll cross a line from "Too stupid to have a guilty mind" to "Just plain guilty."
Aresen wrote:
JD wrote: "is now literally flinging feces and declaring that he is Jesus Christ"
So, 3 to 6 months? :P
Basically.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake