Read this for a chance to win $3

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Mo

Read this for a chance to win $3

Post by Mo » 15 May 2017, 16:07

Why is Robby equating "a chance" to win $3 to getting $3? Giving someone $3 is pretty chintzy, but a chance to read $3 is even worse.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/05/15/study ... pay-people
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Re: Read this for a chance to win $3

Post by Highway » 15 May 2017, 16:14

Yeah, I'd have to believe that most people think "Entered in a drawing to win X dollars" means "Not getting any money at all." So the difference between not getting 7 dollars and not getting 10 dollars is vanishingly small. Given that setup, I'm surprised that there were even 1/3 of the people who went for the article they'd disagree with. I would think you'd need to control that with "Pick an article to read, the one you agree with or the one that you might not" without any monetary incentive (if you can call "entered in a drawing to win 10 bucks" an actual incentive) and see what the split is.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 May 2017, 16:16

I hate studies like that. The margins are all wrong to be relevant. $10 is literally zero for many people if effort of any kind is above zero. A chance to win $10? GTFO.

Sometimes I think the 3 well documented behavioral economics things have come at a cost of so much garbage research and overblown claims we might be better off never having heard about them.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 May 2017, 16:27

JasonL wrote:I hate studies like that. The margins are all wrong to be relevant. $10 is literally zero for many people if effort of any kind is above zero. A chance to win $10? GTFO.

Sometimes I think the 3 well documented behavioral economics things have come at a cost of so much garbage research and overblown claims we might be better off never having heard about them.
It's not even a chance to win $10, it's a chance to win $10 vs. a chance to win $7. So it's a chance to win $3 more. That's 2 free large McDonald's coffees.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 May 2017, 16:45

+Me on the pile on. I left a comment after I RTFA. This is really shoddy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 May 2017, 16:53

That said, the findings suit my biases and I completely believe the hurdle for reading something outside the echo chamber is depressingly high for lots of people. If you pay me $20 I might read a study that says otherwise.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 May 2017, 17:03

In addition, I think claiming ten minus seven equals four sums it up nicely. Full disclosure: To my deep and everlasting shame, I didn't catch that before I left my comment.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 May 2017, 17:49

Wow, that article was terrible. I sometimes patronize stores or restaurants where the receipt says something like "Fill out this online survey for the chance to win $100," but I never do since I figure my chances of actually winning are close to nil. According to the methodology of this article, that means "I'm too lazy to send five minutes online in exchange for $100." No: if I were guaranteed $100 -- or even five bucks, or a few-dollars-off coupon for my next purchase -- I'd probably fill out those surveys every time. But it's not worth filling out the survey when the payoff amounts to a low-odds lottery ticket.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 May 2017, 19:08

I clicked on the link and a Nigerian Prince sent me $14 million, I lost 40 pounds in three months, my hair grew back, my penis grew four inches and all the women are lining up to get in my bed. ;)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 May 2017, 22:39

Aresen wrote:I clicked on the link and a Nigerian Prince sent me $14 million, I lost 40 pounds in three months, my hair grew back, my penis grew four inches and all the women are lining up to get in my bed. ;)
Good things happen when you master your own body weight.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL