I Am Beginning to Like Sonia Sotomayor

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Apr 2017, 14:06

Sonia Sotomayor Says SCOTUS Favors Police Officers Over Alleged Victims of Police Misconduct
Sonia Sotomayor wrote:Given that this case turns in large part on what Salazar-Limon did just before he was shot, it should be obvious that the parties' competing accounts of the event preclude the entry of summary judgment for [Officer] Thompson. Thompson attested in a deposition that he fired his gun only after he saw Salazar-Limon turn and "ma[k]e [a] motion towards his waistband area." Salazar-Limon, by contrast, attested that Thompson fired either "immediately" or "seconds" after telling Salazar-Limon to stop—and in any case before Salazar-Limon turned toward him. These accounts flatly contradict each other. On the one, Salazar-Limon provoked the use of force by turning and raising his hands toward his waistband. On the other, Thompson shot without being provoked. It is not for a judge to resolve these "differing versions of the truth" on summary judgment, that question is for a jury to decide at trial. [Citations omitted.]
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Re: I Am Beginning to Like Sonia Sotomayor

Post by nicole » 24 Apr 2017, 14:13

And that post didn't even mention she cited Radley Balko!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Apr 2017, 14:21

Just now? I've been fapping to her for years.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 Apr 2017, 14:40

Warren wrote:
Me too! I tried to start a South Florida Fapping to Sotomayor club, but I guess people just aren't that interested in politics...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Apr 2017, 15:12

Warren wrote:
This. I'll even excuse her Yankee fandom. She is the best SCOTUS justice on civil rights. She used her experience as a AG as a way to learn all the dirty tricks prosecutors and cops play.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Apr 2017, 15:49

Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
This. I'll even excuse her Yankee fandom. She is the best SCOTUS justice on civil rights. She used her experience as a AG as a way to learn all the dirty tricks prosecutors and cops play.
I'd say criminal justice rather than civil rights, because I suspect she's more lefty than I'd prefer on some aspects of more voluntary civil rights stuff like employment etc. Has SCOTUS seen any of the campus sex assault stuff to know where she stands on due process on campus?

Still, holy shit yeah, on criminal justice and related civil rights, she's what Scalia should've been if his originalism hadn't been overcome by his law-and-order conservatism a lot of the time.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL