Page 12 of 13

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 15 Jun 2018, 15:36
by Warren
tr0g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 15:01
Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:55
tr0g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:51
There's nothing like being strapped in on an Air Force plane when the crew chief comes back and climbs over you to start pulling avionics boxes off the wall. At that point, you start thinking the option to exit the aircraft in flight is looking pretty good.
They didn't issue parachutes.
That's because you were never dumb motivated enough to go to jump school and get on airborne status.
That's not really a thing in the Navy. We use jarheads for that sort of work.
I suspect SEALs will sometimes jump out of perfectly good aircraft. They might not need a parachute though. I think they can fly by flapping their arms. I'm not sure it that's part of their training or not. They don't talk about it.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 19 Jun 2018, 20:14
by Kwix
dhex wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 10:43
i'd be more amenable to the concept of pay by volume if they extended the seat spacing so i could put my feet down flat in most cases.

(newer southwest planes are much better on this but only in those door adjacent rows in the middle.)
A few years ago Alaska Air redesigned it's seats to increase spacing in order squeeze an extra row in . Somehow they also managed to offer a block of Coach Plus (upgrade seats) on almost all flights. That extra 4" plus the redesigned seats with a knee well and seat backs that are separate of the table mean that as a 6' dude I can not only put my feet on the floor but also cross my legs if the person next to me is friendly. The downside is they outsourced foam production to the cheapest bidder and a lot of it is already dying.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 19 Jun 2018, 20:21
by Warren
Kwix wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 20:14
dhex wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 10:43
i'd be more amenable to the concept of pay by volume if they extended the seat spacing so i could put my feet down flat in most cases.

(newer southwest planes are much better on this but only in those door adjacent rows in the middle.)
A few years ago Alaska Air redesigned it's seats to increase spacing in order squeeze an extra row in . Somehow they also managed to offer a block of Coach Plus (upgrade seats) on almost all flights. That extra 4" plus the redesigned seats with a knee well and seat backs that are separate of the table mean that as a 6' dude I can not only put my feet on the floor but also cross my legs if the person next to me is friendly. The downside is they outsourced foam production to the cheapest bidder and a lot of it is already dying.
Carry-on reccomendation

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 20 Jun 2018, 10:48
by Dangerman
Instead of complying with severely limited carry-on requirements, I'm going to wear a huge overcoat and rig all my belongings to the inside, maximizing my personal space, creating a physical barrier against my neighbors, and allowing extra room for souvenirs in my bag on the way home.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 20 Jun 2018, 13:00
by Jasper
Dangerman wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 10:48
Instead of complying with severely limited carry-on requirements, I'm going to wear a huge overcoat and rig all my belongings to the inside, maximizing my personal space, creating a physical barrier against my neighbors, and allowing extra room for souvenirs in my bag on the way home.
I remember seeing a Kickstarter about a jacket or vest that was essentially a Coat of Many Pockets, designed so you fit all kinds of EDC gear in it.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 20 Jun 2018, 14:13
by Warren

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 20 Jun 2018, 19:19
by Eric the .5b
Maybe a decade ago, I read a blog post by someone who frequently used a tactical pouch belt, the sort you can unclip, run through an x-ray, then clip back on, for both everyday use and air travel. At least at the time, it didn't count as luggage, and so it was a handy way to carry a load of things on what amounted to a Batman-style utility belt. It was not a subtle look, but it wasn't as bad as wearing a fanny pack.

The writer did, sensibly, recommend using terms like "utility belt" rather than "tactical belt" to TSA agents. Sadly, I can't remember where I read this, or I'd point to the exact product.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 20 Jun 2018, 22:54
by tr0g
Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 19:19
Maybe a decade ago, I read a blog post by someone who frequently used a tactical pouch belt, the sort you can unclip, run through an x-ray, then clip back on, for both everyday use and air travel. At least at the time, it didn't count as luggage, and so it was a handy way to carry a load of things on what amounted to a Batman-style utility belt. It was not a subtle look, but it wasn't as bad as wearing a fanny pack.

The writer did, sensibly, recommend using terms like "utility belt" rather than "tactical belt" to TSA agents. Sadly, I can't remember where I read this, or I'd point to the exact product.
I think it was Bunny Huang, so maybe it's on his blog.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 20 Jun 2018, 23:01
by Eric the .5b
tr0g wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 22:54
I think it was Bunny Huang, so maybe it's on his blog.
I don't see it there, but I also think the poster was a skinny white guy.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 21 Jun 2018, 12:57
by Jasper
Warren wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 14:13
Boom
Yes, that's the one! For some reason, I thought it was a KS project.

Good Google-fu, Warren.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 21 Jun 2018, 14:38
by tr0g
I don't see any way how a vest (or jacket) with 25 pockets full of stuff doesn't end up making me look lumpier and fatter than I already am.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 22 Jun 2018, 09:36
by Dangerman
They aren't called 'beauty vests'.

I used to rock a milsurp 6x10" canvas shoulder/belt pouch for those kinds of occasions. More pockets in a garment isn't really the answer unless the question is "Am I a fly fisherman?".

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 22 Jun 2018, 11:09
by tr0g
Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 23:01
tr0g wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 22:54
I think it was Bunny Huang, so maybe it's on his blog.
I don't see it there, but I also think the poster was a skinny white guy.
I could swear I saw it in Make, but a couple of searches through the online archives didn't turn anything up. Maybe it was in the print mag.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 30 Jul 2018, 15:59
by JD
The TSA has launched a program called "Quiet Skies", which tracks specific air travelers because...well, I'm not sure why, actually.
The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is facing criticism for secretly tracking Americans on flights, US media report.

The "Quiet Skies" programme reportedly uses an unknown algorithm to flag flyers without any criminal record for surveillance on domestic flights.
...
Under "Quiet Skies", federal air marshals have been shadowing travellers on their flights and reporting any suspicious behaviour to TSA, the Boston Globe first reported on Sunday.

These travellers - who are in some cases American citizens - are not part of terrorist screening databases nor are they suspected of any wrongdoings, according to the newspaper.
...
The programme first uses an algorithm to analyse a passenger's travel pattern and any potential affiliations, according to US media.

Officials then look at the data and determine whether the passenger should be observed by air marshals.

"The purpose of this programme is to ensure passengers and flight crew are protected during air travel," TSA said in a statement to the BBC.

"The programme doesn't take into account race and religion, and it is not intended to surveil ordinary Americans."
So as far as I can tell, either they're following random people for no apparent reason, or they think they have some magic algorithm that will help them identify potential terrorists who haven't been identified any other way.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 30 Jul 2018, 19:42
by Warren
JD wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 15:59
The TSA has launched a program called "Quiet Skies", which tracks specific air travelers because...well, I'm not sure why, actually.
The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is facing criticism for secretly tracking Americans on flights, US media report.

The "Quiet Skies" programme reportedly uses an unknown algorithm to flag flyers without any criminal record for surveillance on domestic flights.
...
Under "Quiet Skies", federal air marshals have been shadowing travellers on their flights and reporting any suspicious behaviour to TSA, the Boston Globe first reported on Sunday.

These travellers - who are in some cases American citizens - are not part of terrorist screening databases nor are they suspected of any wrongdoings, according to the newspaper.
...
The programme first uses an algorithm to analyse a passenger's travel pattern and any potential affiliations, according to US media.

Officials then look at the data and determine whether the passenger should be observed by air marshals.

"The purpose of this programme is to ensure passengers and flight crew are protected during air travel," TSA said in a statement to the BBC.

"The programme doesn't take into account race and religion, and it is not intended to surveil ordinary Americans."
So as far as I can tell, either they're following random people for no apparent reason, or they think they have some magic algorithm that will help them identify potential terrorists who haven't been identified any other way.
Or they just need to protect their phony baloney jobs.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 31 Jul 2018, 00:14
by Aresen
JD wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 15:59
The TSA has launched a program called "Quiet Skies", which tracks specific air travelers because...well, I'm not sure why, actually.
The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is facing criticism for secretly tracking Americans on flights, US media report.

The "Quiet Skies" programme reportedly uses an unknown algorithm to flag flyers without any criminal record for surveillance on domestic flights.
...
Under "Quiet Skies", federal air marshals have been shadowing travellers on their flights and reporting any suspicious behaviour to TSA, the Boston Globe first reported on Sunday.

These travellers - who are in some cases American citizens - are not part of terrorist screening databases nor are they suspected of any wrongdoings, according to the newspaper.
...
The programme first uses an algorithm to analyse a passenger's travel pattern and any potential affiliations, according to US media.

Officials then look at the data and determine whether the passenger should be observed by air marshals.

"The purpose of this programme is to ensure passengers and flight crew are protected during air travel," TSA said in a statement to the BBC.

"The programme doesn't take into account race and religion, and it is not intended to surveil ordinary Americans."
So as far as I can tell, either they're following random people for no apparent reason, or they think they have some magic algorithm that will help them identify potential terrorists who haven't been identified any other way.
Excess melanin (but not too much excess) and indications of reluctance to respekt authoritah.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 11:21
by Dangerman
Threat matrices. It took a while to find this essay, but it's worth the read.

https://kieranhealy.org/blog/archives/2 ... ul-revere/

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 06 Aug 2018, 11:31
by JasonL
There is almost nothing that’s important to me but people care less about than the 4th amendment. It has no constituency.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 06 Aug 2018, 19:20
by Warren
JasonL wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 11:31
There is almost nothing that’s important to me but people care less about than the 4th amendment. It has no constituency.
Testify.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 06 Aug 2018, 19:40
by Jake
Warren wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 19:20
Testify.
No, no... that's the Fifth. ;)

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 06 Aug 2018, 19:46
by Warren
Jake wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 19:40
Warren wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 19:20
Testify.
No, no... that's the Fifth. ;)
heh

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 14 Oct 2018, 15:31
by dead_elvis
I think we might have finally reached pre-checkception. Over time I've noticed the lines getting longer and longer and flying today the TSA pre-check line was longer than the regular line. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted and at least you avoid the porno-scanner.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 14 Oct 2018, 15:38
by Aresen
dead_elvis wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 15:31
I think we might have finally reached pre-checkception. Over time I've noticed the lines getting longer and longer and flying today the TSA pre-check line was longer than the regular line. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted and at least you avoid the porno-scanner.
Obviously an opportunity to hire more cop rejects.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 15 Oct 2018, 01:24
by Kwix
dead_elvis wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 15:31
I think we might have finally reached pre-checkception. Over time I've noticed the lines getting longer and longer and flying today the TSA pre-check line was longer than the regular line. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted and at least you avoid the porno-scanner.
I almost always avoid the porno-scanner. TSA doesn't like me but they do a thorough pat down.

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Posted: 15 Oct 2018, 05:55
by Mo
dead_elvis wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 15:31
I think we might have finally reached pre-checkception. Over time I've noticed the lines getting longer and longer and flying today the TSA pre-check line was longer than the regular line. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted and at least you avoid the porno-scanner.
Longer, but faster