Fly the Friendly Skies...

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
nicole

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by nicole » 20 Apr 2017, 14:59

JasonL wrote:That doesn't make it any less baffling to me. I mean we aren't infinite beings of unconstrained choice above physics and history and duh?
And...we're unhappy because we aren't.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Apr 2017, 15:07

nicole wrote:
JasonL wrote:That doesn't make it any less baffling to me. I mean we aren't infinite beings of unconstrained choice above physics and history and duh?
And...we're unhappy because we aren't.
I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound petulant to you when you say it out loud? Like, to an absurd degree? If I can't snap my fingers and get exactly what I want the very instant I want it, if there exists any other human will that could possibly seek an outcome other than my first most favoritest thing in the world, I am a creature of suffering and sorrow and I must play My Chemical Romance forever?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Apr 2017, 15:42

JasonL wrote: I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound petulant to you when you say it out loud? Like, to an absurd degree? If I can't snap my fingers and get exactly what I want the very instant I want it, if there exists any other human will that could possibly seek an outcome other than my first most favoritest thing in the world, I am a creature of suffering and sorrow and I must play My Chemical Romance forever?
There's a big difference between "Wanting the service I bought and paid for [the ability to take off on a given flight, in the Dao case]" and "wanting to snap my fingers and get exactly what I want the very instant I want it."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Apr 2017, 15:58

Yes but Nicole is making a philosophical argument that is the latter not the former. Her argument is that the root cause of this and all suffering is that there are other considerations than her will AT ALL. The argument is that this is what we all really desire and anything short of it is suffering and we go through a bunch of kabuki pretending like it's okay that other people exist but it isn't.

JD

Post by JD » 20 Apr 2017, 17:35

This thread has gotten weirdly metaphysical.

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Apr 2017, 17:44

JD wrote:This thread has gotten weirdly metaphysical.
As opposed to the mundanely metaphysical?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Apr 2017, 17:50

Once SOMEONE mentions Heidegger or Wittgenstein, a thread is doomed.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Apr 2017, 18:05

JasonL wrote:Yes but Nicole is making a philosophical argument that is the latter not the former. Her argument is that the root cause of this and all suffering is that there are other considerations than her will AT ALL. The argument is that this is what we all really desire and anything short of it is suffering and we go through a bunch of kabuki pretending like it's okay that other people exist but it isn't.
she's not wrong. but neither are you.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 20 Apr 2017, 18:45

Aresen wrote:
Guess that explains Morrison!!
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Apr 2017, 19:26

fyodor wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Jim Morrison?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 21 Apr 2017, 14:19

Warren wrote:
fyodor wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Jim Morrison?
The lines I quoted from "Riders on the Storm" were influenced by a class JM took on philosophy, including Heidegger.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jul 2017, 11:01

For how Delta Airlines has treated Ann Coulter, they have earned my eternal loyalty.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Jul 2017, 11:13

Mo wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 11:01
For how Delta Airlines has treated Ann Coulter, they have earned my eternal loyalty.
What exactly did they do? Move her to a different seat? Bump her off the plane? It wasn't clear from what I was reading.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 17 Jul 2017, 11:41

Highway wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 11:13
Mo wrote:
What exactly did they do? Move her to a different seat? Bump her off the plane? It wasn't clear from what I was reading.
From what I can tell, apparently she was moved to a different seat on the same row on the flight so a family could sit together. She lost her window seat and was on the aisle, and this apparently caused her to...continue to be bug fucking nuts.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jul 2017, 12:55

Highway wrote:
Mo wrote:
Bump her off the plane?
Pls pls pls pls pls pls let this have happened at 35,000 feet
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Jul 2017, 15:50

dead_elvis wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 12:55
Highway wrote:
Mo wrote:
Bump her off the plane?
Pls pls pls pls pls pls let this have happened at 35,000 feet
That was my first thought when I saw the story.

True fact: When horses are transported by plane, the owner has to sign a waiver permitting the attendants accompanying the horse to euthanize it if the animal becomes a danger to the plane.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Jul 2017, 16:17

Sandy wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 11:41
Highway wrote:
Mo wrote:
From what I can tell, apparently she was moved to a different seat on the same row on the flight so a family could sit together. She lost her window seat and was on the aisle, and this apparently caused her to...continue to be bug fucking nuts.
Fuckin Ann. Anyone that's flown more than twice knows the aisle is 2x better than window.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Jul 2017, 16:21

Warren wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 16:17
Sandy wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 11:41
Highway wrote:
Mo wrote:
Fuckin Ann. Anyone that's flown more than twice knows the aisle is 2x better than window.
I imagine that when you pay extra for fancy seats and you're skeletally thin, the window seat is just fine.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Jul 2017, 16:23

You have a point.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Jul 2017, 16:32

Her whole thing was she had paid for extra leg room because she's tall and that's what she lost out on. She was especially miffed because the lady who got her seat was short.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2017, 16:39

I don't blame her for being annoyed if she paid extra for a particular seat and did not get it, but tweeting out a picture of the family who WAS seated there is beyond the pale, IMO.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Jul 2017, 17:07

nicole wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 16:32
Her whole thing was she had paid for extra leg room because she's tall and that's what she lost out on. She was especially miffed because the lady who got her seat was short.
Then she must have been moved from aisle to window. Or else it's some kind of 1st class seating arrangement I haven't seen before.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by JasonL » 17 Jul 2017, 17:15

It does suck if you did aisle on purpose and should have gotten aisle. Super rude is middle seat asking for your aisle seat because reasons.

ETA : doesn't suck bad enough to do a coulter tho
Last edited by JasonL on 17 Jul 2017, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jul 2017, 17:18

Hugh Akston wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 16:21
and you're skeletally thin, the window seat is just fine.
If she needs to get out to use the restroom, she can use her spindly spider legs to crawl over the top of the seats without disturbing anyone.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Jul 2017, 17:22

Warren wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 17:07
nicole wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 16:32
Then she must have been moved from aisle to window. Or else it's some kind of 1st class seating arrangement I haven't seen before.
It's some economy plus shit. She wasn't even trying to fly first class.