Fly the Friendly Skies...

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Aresen

Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Aresen » 10 Apr 2017, 17:17

Why Should Police Help United Airlines Cheat Its Customers?

Several commenters have posted the relevant section of the "Carriage Agreement":
"4. Compensation for Passengers Denied Boarding Involuntarily

a.For passengers traveling in interstate transportation between points within the United States, subject to the EXCEPTIONS in section d) below, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 200% of the fare to the Passenger's first Stopover or, if none, Destination, with a maximum of 675 USD if UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger's Destination or first Stopover more than one hour but less than two hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger's original flight. If UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger's Destination or first Stopover more than two hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger's original flight, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 400% of the fare to the Passenger's first Stopover or, if none, Destination with a maximum of 1350 USD. "
Aside from the fact that no one (well, almost no one) ever reads the carriage agreement, there seem to be a few problems here:

1) The guy was already on the plane. IOW, he had not been 'denied boarding'.
2) The compensation offered was in the form of a voucher. I am not sure this can be considered a USD payment.
3) The people who were being given the seats in question were UA employees, who were apparently needed as flight crew at the destination airport. Can this be counted in terms of the flight being 'oversold'? (i.e. They never bought a ticket.)

The police involvement in what is essentially a contractual dispute where no one's safety was at risk is questionable, unless the man's continued presence on the flight was a 'trespass'.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by thoreau » 10 Apr 2017, 17:28

I don't claim to know whether the use of police to drag him off the plane was legally valid, or who's in the right concerning the contract, but whichever manager made the decision to ask the police to do so should be fired for incompetence. Even if (for the sake of argument) it was a 100% legally valid move it was about the worst move possible from a PR and customer relations standpoint.

Then again, abject incompetence is the sort of thing that gets you promoted at United.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Apr 2017, 17:36

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Apr 2017, 17:37

If I were a cop pulling a nonviolent middleaged doctor out of a seat he paid for and off of a plane on his face, I might pause while kicking the shit out of him and think "am I on the right side of this?"
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Apr 2017, 17:38

I'm the hit & run commentator saying "well he was trespassing!"

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 10 Apr 2017, 17:43

Guys guys guys, did you know this is because of the unfettered free market that is air travel?

Or so say some people who don't stop to think even a second about it on Twitter.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Apr 2017, 18:05

Why don't the airlines ever seem to assault the people who deserve it is what I want to know, as a paying customer
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Apr 2017, 18:15

nicole wrote:Why don't the airlines ever seem to assault the people who deserve it is what I want to know, as a paying customer
I know that I would pay to see a few "Customer Service Representatives" beaten up.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Apr 2017, 18:27

Prepare to be shocked:
The officer -- one of three involved in the Sunday night incident -- did not follow protocol, according to a statement from the Chicago Department of Aviation, and as a result "has been placed on leave effective today pending a thorough review of the situation."

"The actions of the aviation security officer are obviously not condoned by the Department," the statement said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ual-p ... SKBN17C1VX

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Apr 2017, 18:49

nicole wrote:Prepare to be shocked:
The officer -- one of three involved in the Sunday night incident -- did not follow protocol, according to a statement from the Chicago Department of Aviation, and as a result "has been placed on leave effective today pending a thorough review of the situation."

"The actions of the aviation security officer are obviously not condoned by the Department," the statement said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ual-p ... SKBN17C1VX
Oh, god! That's brutal! Six weeks paid vacation! Part of the War on Cops, no doubt.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Apr 2017, 18:54

What's dumb is the flight was sufficiently delayed that getting car service for the 4 people on the 4 hour drive would have been faster and cheaper
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Apr 2017, 19:01

nicole wrote:Why don't the airlines ever seem to assault the people who deserve it is what I want to know, as a paying customer
Once again, Southwest sets the mark.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Apr 2017, 21:16

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Apr 2017, 21:25

dbcooper wrote:Image
Is that a joke?

If not, I hope Dan Hensley gets pulled over by an officer who feels Dan Hensley does not respect the cop's authority.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Apr 2017, 21:36

United's CEO said that the staff had "no choice" but to bring in goons. Apparently, there are no options between go above $800 and goon squad. Though is looks like goon squad will likely end up costing at least 3 to 4 orders of magnitude more.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Apr 2017, 21:42

Mo wrote:United's CEO said that the staff had "no choice" but to bring in goons. Apparently, there are no options between go above $800 and goon squad. Though is looks like goon squad will likely end up costing at least 3 to 4 orders of magnitude more.
(via popehat)

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 10 Apr 2017, 22:05

Also from popehat:
@RealDanHensley Are you on a hovercraft where the Eighth Amendment does not apply because you are torturing me right now
Guess I should find a funny sig, huh?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Apr 2017, 22:07

MJGreen wrote:Also from popehat:
@RealDanHensley Are you on a hovercraft where the Eighth Amendment does not apply because you are torturing me right now
Don't be a silly person! Torture isn't illegal!
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Apr 2017, 22:23

Popehat on Tapp‏ wrote:@Popehat
Question @united: can I pay $400 to have a passenger of my choice forcibly dragged from one of your flights? Because I would spring for that
Here:

(For once, the comments are worth reading.)

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2017, 08:56

OFFS, now National Review is dispirited that everyone just sat by as law enforcement roughed this guy up, yet is always the first to say, "X deserved to get killed because they were insufficiently respectful of the police." GFY.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2017, 10:48

Perhaps settlement talks are going poorly. United has decided to go with the smear campaign strategy.

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Apr 2017, 10:58

Mo wrote:Perhaps settlement talks are going poorly. United has decided to go with the smear campaign strategy.
Drugs, Mo. DRUGS.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2017, 11:40

And sex.

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Apr 2017, 11:51

Mo wrote:And sex.
It's relevant to his reason for wanting to stay on the plane

To pieces of shit, at least

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Apr 2017, 12:02

OFFS, die in a fire.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... -amer.html

Yeah, there's no possible way The Machine works any better than what United did here. No, dude, I hate United.