Fly the Friendly Skies...

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Warren

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Warren » 15 Jun 2018, 15:36

tr0g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 15:01
Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:55
tr0g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:51
There's nothing like being strapped in on an Air Force plane when the crew chief comes back and climbs over you to start pulling avionics boxes off the wall. At that point, you start thinking the option to exit the aircraft in flight is looking pretty good.
They didn't issue parachutes.
That's because you were never dumb motivated enough to go to jump school and get on airborne status.
That's not really a thing in the Navy. We use jarheads for that sort of work.
I suspect SEALs will sometimes jump out of perfectly good aircraft. They might not need a parachute though. I think they can fly by flapping their arms. I'm not sure it that's part of their training or not. They don't talk about it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 19 Jun 2018, 20:14

dhex wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 10:43
i'd be more amenable to the concept of pay by volume if they extended the seat spacing so i could put my feet down flat in most cases.

(newer southwest planes are much better on this but only in those door adjacent rows in the middle.)
A few years ago Alaska Air redesigned it's seats to increase spacing in order squeeze an extra row in . Somehow they also managed to offer a block of Coach Plus (upgrade seats) on almost all flights. That extra 4" plus the redesigned seats with a knee well and seat backs that are separate of the table mean that as a 6' dude I can not only put my feet on the floor but also cross my legs if the person next to me is friendly. The downside is they outsourced foam production to the cheapest bidder and a lot of it is already dying.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jun 2018, 20:21

Kwix wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 20:14
dhex wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 10:43
i'd be more amenable to the concept of pay by volume if they extended the seat spacing so i could put my feet down flat in most cases.

(newer southwest planes are much better on this but only in those door adjacent rows in the middle.)
A few years ago Alaska Air redesigned it's seats to increase spacing in order squeeze an extra row in . Somehow they also managed to offer a block of Coach Plus (upgrade seats) on almost all flights. That extra 4" plus the redesigned seats with a knee well and seat backs that are separate of the table mean that as a 6' dude I can not only put my feet on the floor but also cross my legs if the person next to me is friendly. The downside is they outsourced foam production to the cheapest bidder and a lot of it is already dying.
Carry-on reccomendation
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 20 Jun 2018, 10:48

Instead of complying with severely limited carry-on requirements, I'm going to wear a huge overcoat and rig all my belongings to the inside, maximizing my personal space, creating a physical barrier against my neighbors, and allowing extra room for souvenirs in my bag on the way home.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 20 Jun 2018, 13:00

Dangerman wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 10:48
Instead of complying with severely limited carry-on requirements, I'm going to wear a huge overcoat and rig all my belongings to the inside, maximizing my personal space, creating a physical barrier against my neighbors, and allowing extra room for souvenirs in my bag on the way home.
I remember seeing a Kickstarter about a jacket or vest that was essentially a Coat of Many Pockets, designed so you fit all kinds of EDC gear in it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Jun 2018, 14:13

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Jun 2018, 19:19

Maybe a decade ago, I read a blog post by someone who frequently used a tactical pouch belt, the sort you can unclip, run through an x-ray, then clip back on, for both everyday use and air travel. At least at the time, it didn't count as luggage, and so it was a handy way to carry a load of things on what amounted to a Batman-style utility belt. It was not a subtle look, but it wasn't as bad as wearing a fanny pack.

The writer did, sensibly, recommend using terms like "utility belt" rather than "tactical belt" to TSA agents. Sadly, I can't remember where I read this, or I'd point to the exact product.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 20 Jun 2018, 22:54

Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 19:19
Maybe a decade ago, I read a blog post by someone who frequently used a tactical pouch belt, the sort you can unclip, run through an x-ray, then clip back on, for both everyday use and air travel. At least at the time, it didn't count as luggage, and so it was a handy way to carry a load of things on what amounted to a Batman-style utility belt. It was not a subtle look, but it wasn't as bad as wearing a fanny pack.

The writer did, sensibly, recommend using terms like "utility belt" rather than "tactical belt" to TSA agents. Sadly, I can't remember where I read this, or I'd point to the exact product.
I think it was Bunny Huang, so maybe it's on his blog.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Jun 2018, 23:01

tr0g wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 22:54
I don't see it there, but I also think the poster was a skinny white guy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 21 Jun 2018, 12:57

Warren wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 14:13
Boom
Yes, that's the one! For some reason, I thought it was a KS project.

Good Google-fu, Warren.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 21 Jun 2018, 14:38

I don't see any way how a vest (or jacket) with 25 pockets full of stuff doesn't end up making me look lumpier and fatter than I already am.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 22 Jun 2018, 09:36

They aren't called 'beauty vests'.

I used to rock a milsurp 6x10" canvas shoulder/belt pouch for those kinds of occasions. More pockets in a garment isn't really the answer unless the question is "Am I a fly fisherman?".

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 22 Jun 2018, 11:09

Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 23:01
tr0g wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 22:54
I don't see it there, but I also think the poster was a skinny white guy.
I could swear I saw it in Make, but a couple of searches through the online archives didn't turn anything up. Maybe it was in the print mag.