Who Posted Racist ‘America Is a White Nation’ Flyers? The Di

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
nicole

Who Posted Racist ‘America Is a White Nation’ Flyers? The Di

Post by nicole » 24 Mar 2017, 11:40

Robby Soave wrote:"Sometimes I walk around crowded theaters yelling 'fire!'" said one person in an online comment. "I do it because I want to create awareness; thus no punishment is warranted."

Of course, posting an offensive flyer is not like shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater. Hate speech is free speech, and if student social justice activists want to post obnoxious flyers—for whatever reason—they should be free to do so, as long as they respect campus rules about flyering.
http://reason.com/blog/2017/03/24/who-p ... -white-nat

Uhhh pamphlets were the original fire in a crowded theater.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

thoreau

Re: Who Posted Racist ‘America Is a White Nation’ Flyers? Th

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2017, 12:03

Social Justice has crawled so far up its own asshole that its forehead is protruding from its mouth.

Sent from a phone so their may be speling errors and autocorrect snafu's.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Mar 2017, 13:12

There's nobody who walks around being an asshole who thinks that they should be punished for being an asshole.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2017, 14:17

nicole wrote:
Robby Soave wrote:"Sometimes I walk around crowded theaters yelling 'fire!'" said one person in an online comment. "I do it because I want to create awareness; thus no punishment is warranted."

Of course, posting an offensive flyer is not like shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater. Hate speech is free speech, and if student social justice activists want to post obnoxious flyers—for whatever reason—they should be free to do so, as long as they respect campus rules about flyering.

Holmes was wrong and Robby is right. The Diversity Leadership Council was exercising their first amendment rights, and they did so in a way that makes them assholes. There's no reason any formal punishment should befall them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Mar 2017, 14:29

Robby isn't right, he's an idiot who is obviously unfamiliar with Schenk. He's the one implying Holmes wasn't a monster.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2017, 15:25

nicole wrote:Robby isn't right, he's an idiot who is obviously unfamiliar with Schenk. He's the one implying Holmes wasn't a monster.
He may well be unfamiliar with Schenk. And while he may accept shouting "fire" in a crowded theater as an acceptable limit on free speech. He is expressly stating that posting flyers is protected by the first amendment. Therefore he is clearly at odds with Schenk decision.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 24 Mar 2017, 15:28

nicole wrote:Robby isn't right, he's an idiot who is obviously unfamiliar with Schenk. He's the one implying Holmes wasn't a monster.
Ignorant, but since he came to the right conclusion, not an idiot.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Mar 2017, 17:59

Warren wrote:
nicole wrote:

Holmes was wrong and Robby is right. The Diversity Leadership Council was exercising their first amendment rights, and they did so in a way that makes them assholes. There's no reason any formal punishment should befall them.
I believe they should receive no more punishment or sanction than a fraternity or campus conservative club would receive if the pamphlet had come from one of them.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2017, 18:05

Aresen wrote:I believe they should receive no more punishment or sanction than a fraternity or campus conservative club would receive if the pamphlet had come from one of them.
Brilliant.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2017, 18:09

thoreau wrote:
Aresen wrote:I believe they should receive no more punishment or sanction than a fraternity or campus conservative club would receive if the pamphlet had come from one of them.
Brilliant.
No, the point is that in neither case should the college take any action. While there is much to be said for equality under the law, a law that oppresses everyone equally is still a bad law.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2017, 18:13

Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Brilliant.
No, the point is that in neither case should the college take any action. While there is much to be said for equality under the law, a law that oppresses everyone equally is still a bad law.
We agree on where we want to get to. Now the only question is how to get there. I submit that merely proposing these sanctions would lead to a whole lot of stammering about "Well, no, see, what we meant was..." And I'd like to get their stammering on record.
--Jake

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2017, 19:47

thoreau wrote:
Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Brilliant.
We agree on where we want to get to. Now the only question is how to get there. I submit that merely proposing these sanctions would lead to a whole lot of stammering about "Well, no, see, what we meant was..." And I'd like to get their stammering on record.
Except that is the whole point of the story. That the posters prompted a reaction demanding action, which elicited the stammering.
“I cannot thank you enough for the action that you have taken by filing a report and making sure that the incident was brought to the attention of the college,” VanHecke continued, saying that taking action “as a bystander demonstrates that Gustavus students care about each other and their collegiate environment and are willing to take a stand against hate and bias.”

We certainly don't need to be proposing things we don't actually support. They are perfectly capable of looking stupid without our help.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT