Gender-reversed presidential debate reveals Trump's allure

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Kolohe

Re: Gender-reversed presidential debate reveals Trump's allu

Post by Kolohe » 10 Mar 2017, 15:17

nicole wrote:Personally I always found Trump's meandering style one of the most unusual things about his speeches. I watched a lot of the coverage of his rallies, and the way he would speak at those was so stream-of-consciousness...just not the way you expect even somewhat-prepared remarks to sound. I kept thinking it seemed really weird that that was working, because it seemed really uncompelling to me.

That whole style wasn't really evident in this clip, though. The closest it comes is the way Ms Trump interjects semi-disconnected phrases, but in context that is a perfectly intelligible (if somewhat aggressive) type of rebuttal.
Trump's extemporaneous style reminded me of stand-up comedy (pace DAR), but without the jokes. Collectively, any given speech was rambling and incoherent, but in small chunks (like, during all the live broadcasts on talk radio and cable news) each thought did flow into the next one, even if it was a tangent without a consistent point.

I've said this one before. Sometime in the early primary season (I think, pretty sure it wasn't the general campaign), I was in the car and the radio was broadcasting one of his speeches live. His spiel was basically:

Hey, it's great to be in New Hampshire again. It's so great here, I love it here. It's so beautiful, all the mountains are great and beautiful, all the trees are great and beautiful. But I know there are problems here. Big huge problems. People are using drugs, bad drugs. Heroin, it's such a epidemic. Huge epidemic. I don't understand how people can use drugs here, it's so beautiful here with the mountains and the trees. All these drugs, they're coming in over the border. We need to stop these drugs from coming in over the border

So like, it's complete bullshit, but I could see how people could go for it 1) flatter people 2) recognize that they have problems 3) blame some third party for those problems and claim to be able to fix it by doing something about that third party.

I could see how it could work, I just didn't think there would be more votes for pro-scapegoating than anti-scapegoating in key places on the map.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 10 Mar 2017, 15:21

You can probably find examples of extreme stupidity to prove me wrong, but I do think a lot of what he says is the usual political pablum but with no attempt to pretty up the language, or without political vagueness to avoid accusations of dishonesty. "They're not sending us their best" and "We're gonna build a wall, and they'll pay for it," is stupid and offensive, but it can easily be rewritten in a way that would sound less outrageous and would be deemed as Serious Politics coming from Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio. And it could still convey the same policy message: shut down immigration and implement a tax on imports from Mexico to pay for a wall.

Trump's meandering is a huge reason why I can't stand to listen to him; I get a headache listening to someone with ADD trying to talk policy. But, not to go all Scott Adams here, his meandering still hits the basic emotional beats that a savvy politician aims for: I'm great, I'm bigly, things are bad but I can fix them, positive positive positive.
Trump's extemporaneous style reminded me of stand-up comedy (pace DAR), but without the jokes.
Like this?

EDIT: And while I agree with Kolohe, and this is getting off topic of the candidates' speaking style, another Reason post makes an important point. Clinton's overall campaign strategy really ignored policy. Which is kinda understandable when you're running against Donald Trump, but there comes a point where, by comparison, Trump's rambling and outrageous proposals give the impression that he's the one talking about "the issues."
Guess I should find a funny sig, huh?

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Mar 2017, 15:46

Kolohe wrote:
nicole wrote:Personally I always found Trump's meandering style one of the most unusual things about his speeches. I watched a lot of the coverage of his rallies, and the way he would speak at those was so stream-of-consciousness...just not the way you expect even somewhat-prepared remarks to sound. I kept thinking it seemed really weird that that was working, because it seemed really uncompelling to me.

That whole style wasn't really evident in this clip, though. The closest it comes is the way Ms Trump interjects semi-disconnected phrases, but in context that is a perfectly intelligible (if somewhat aggressive) type of rebuttal.
Trump's extemporaneous style reminded me of stand-up comedy (pace DAR), but without the jokes. Collectively, any given speech was rambling and incoherent, but in small chunks (like, during all the live broadcasts on talk radio and cable news) each thought did flow into the next one, even if it was a tangent without a consistent point.
It's a good comparison.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman