Your Government at Work: Trying to Prosecute Restaurateur fo

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Warren

Your Government at Work: Trying to Prosecute Restaurateur fo

Post by Warren » 07 Feb 2017, 23:22

Your Government at Work: Trying to Prosecute Restaurateur for Tweeting Photo of Underage Kids Who Tried to Buy Beer

Here's the part that gets me
Their police handlers feared that with them being identifiable on the internet, that future use of them in bars could result in possible violence against them.
They're afraid that if bar owners know the kids are working for the cops, they'll get beat up. Because if you're trying to run a bar, why wouldn't you beat up cops? What possible down side could there be?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Re: Your Government at Work: Trying to Prosecute Restaurateu

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Feb 2017, 23:48

Working for the cops might get the kids beat up by other kids. Other kids who want to get beat up by cops for beating up kids who work for the cops, I guess? I think it's a pretty gauzy fig leaf for FYTW.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Feb 2017, 00:14

Hugh Akston wrote: Other kids who want to get beat up by cops for beating up kids who work for the cops, I guess?
If getting beat up by cops is your fetish, I don't think you have to look that far.
I think it's a pretty gauzy fig leaf for FYTW.
I would not be surprised if there is a bit of a push from the parents, who want to ensure their young provocateurs are protected. FYTW definitely comes into it though, mostly in the way of "Don't mess with the Stasi."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2017, 02:16

Their police handlers feared that with them being identifiable on the internet, that future use of them in bars could result in possible violence against them.
And of course, "not using them in bars" clearly isn't an option....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Feb 2017, 07:35

I don't see how they have any right to privacy after working the sting. They're now state agents.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Feb 2017, 08:33

I didn't think it was legal to use actual underage (i.e. under 18) people in this sort of sting, instead of 19-20 year olds (which is how I've always seen it)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Feb 2017, 10:48

Kolohe wrote:I didn't think it was legal to use actual underage (i.e. under 18) people in this sort of sting, instead of 19-20 year olds (which is how I've always seen it)
Over the years I've seen news stories where the cops give actual kids obviously fake IDs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2017, 16:06

The good news is, the jury found the restaurateur not guilty.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b