Hit and Run dies again

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Jasper

Re: Hit and Run dies again

Post by Jasper » 27 Feb 2017, 11:03

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
fyodor wrote:
MJGreen wrote: I wish luck to the new site, but I've got little interest in it.
Um, what new site?

And howdy!!
Glibertarians?

None of us could ever join that; we're all far too serious.
Exactly. Mayo, chain restaurants, teal as a clothing color for men, and tipping is serious stuff.

Welcome MJG.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 05 Mar 2017, 16:43

Greetings again, not sure if y’all would remember me, but I was one of the originals (so now maybe I could be called a new original, which pretty much makes me Spinal Tap). I left around I forget when, 2008 or 9 or so because I just couldn’t keep up and wanted to spend less time online. That eventually went by the wayside though for various reasons, and I’ve been commenting mainly on BoingBoing the last few years, at first mostly because there are a lot of great people there with a great wealth of cultural depth and breadth and it was a break from libertarian politics. I’d try to nudge politically once in a while, and while there are always reliable language/thought police after a while you realize most there are reasonable about context as long as they don’t think you’re a troll. There are a few interesting liberty minded people there, but still, it would be nice not to have to gear up for a fight every time I wanted to stick my neck up out of the foxhole, and they are pretty obsessed with keeping the baddies out. And the politics-to-interesting fun culture/tech stuff ratio has been off the charts since Trump.

Which leads to the topic at hand, I kept up with H&R and occasionally read the comments and watched as the new normal after we left gave way to the current wave of noxious jerks who are an embarrassment to freedom. I am kind of amused at the tantrums over Soave and all the foot stomping, and that made me remember about this lovely place (not that I ever forgot about y’all personally). I think H&R will be better for the self-purge and hopefully with the people who left not using up all the oxygen in the room will allow for a new generation of commenters to find liberty minded discussion.

Anyways, it's amazing and heartening to see this place still going with all the familiar names and I hope everyone's wildest dreams from the last time I saw you 10 years ago have come true.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 05 Mar 2017, 16:45

Welcome back, dead_elvis!!!!
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Mar 2017, 17:39

Welcome back dead Elvis. Sadly no wild dreams since then, just lots of babbies
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Mar 2017, 17:53

We would appreciate it, however, if you and all other recent and returned folks took a few moments to read the comments from all the threads for the last seven or eight years or so, just so we don't have to repeat ourselves.

If there's on thing we pride ourselves on here, it's not rehashing the same arguments over and over and over....

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Mar 2017, 18:13

Dead Elvis! Nice to see you're back. Especially after seeing your front.
HyOhhhhhh! :)
I thought you had finally rolled off that log. Now that you've washed ashore, pull up a chair and make yourself at home. You'll have to sit at the little table though. We gave your seat to tr0g.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Mar 2017, 21:01

Mo wrote:Welcome back dead Elvis. Sadly no wild dreams since then, just lots of babbies
To be honest, lots of Gryllbabbies pretty much WAS my wildest dream.

Welcome back! I'm so glad you're back!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Mar 2017, 21:17

Babbies? Oh, for some reason I read that as Baddies when Mo posted.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 05 Mar 2017, 23:55

Thanks y'all! And congrats on the hopefully-not baddie babbies.
Warren wrote:You'll have to sit at the little table though.
The kids table was always the most fun anyways!
D.A. Ridgely wrote:a few moments to read the comments from all the threads for the last seven or eight years or so,
I just have a few burning questions I compiled: Did Ellie ever land a job that would pay her in kittens? Did Number 6 master YYZ? Has Thoreau finally discovered the optics for imaging the human soul? Has Jennifer founded a free and independent media that doesn’t suck gov’t cock? Did Jadagul land a gig on Dancing with the Stars? Has dhex finally been named NYC’s poet laureate/DJ? And most of all, has anyone been fucked by Julian Sanchez?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Mar 2017, 00:44

dead_elvis wrote:Thanks y'all! And congrats on the hopefully-not baddie babbies.
Warren wrote:You'll have to sit at the little table though.
The kids table was always the most fun anyways!
D.A. Ridgely wrote:a few moments to read the comments from all the threads for the last seven or eight years or so,
I just have a few burning questions I compiled: Did Ellie ever land a job that would pay her in kittens? Did Number 6 master YYZ? Has Thoreau finally discovered the optics for imaging the human soul? Has Jennifer founded a free and independent media that doesn’t suck gov’t cock? Did Jadagul land a gig on Dancing with the Stars? Has dhex finally been named NYC’s poet laureate/DJ? And most of all, has anyone been fucked by Julian Sanchez?
Oh
My
You have been gone for a while haven't you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Mar 2017, 00:51

Mo wrote:Welcome back dead Elvis. Sadly no wild dreams since then, just lots of babbies
So many babies ....
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Mar 2017, 01:25

There will never be a more perfect opportunity to link to this video

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 06 Mar 2017, 04:44

dead_elvis wrote: Did Number 6 master YYZ?
Nope. Had a kid though. Well, not me...my wife at the time did. I was involved in the planning stages, but being more of a big picture guy, I submitted the blueprints and left the actual construction to her. She did well with that, and although we're no longer married, we share a freaking awesome kiddo.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Mar 2017, 10:43

*looks at six*
*looks at elephant*
*looks back at six*
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Mar 2017, 11:01

Yes, Number 6 became an EMT! Or wait, maybe that was before you left, d_e. I forget now.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 06 Mar 2017, 11:01

I have displaced someone? I would feel bad if I wasn't a borderline sociopath. The kids table may be more fun, dead_elvis, but all the booze is over here with the big people.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 06 Mar 2017, 11:04

Warren wrote: *looks at elephant*
I am certainly hoping that elephant doesn't involve something horrible or anyone dying (other than J sub D, who I read about at H&R, R.I.P.). I figure at some point if I start asking questions I'll step on a raw nerve ("how's the kid doing" "he got killed by a drunk driver" etc.), so apologies in advance.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 06 Mar 2017, 11:10

Number 6 wrote:
dead_elvis wrote: Did Number 6 master YYZ?
I submitted the blueprints and left the actual construction to her. She did well with that, and although we're no longer married, we share a freaking awesome kiddo.
Oh I remember Scout! Glad to hear she's (am I remembering that right?) awesome (totally expected it) and sorry about the marriage, I was rooting for you guys to make it, but I understand it doesn't always work out.
tr0g wrote:but all the booze is over here with the big people.
It's ok, I snuck in a flask. (pours a little into all the kids' sippy cups)

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Mar 2017, 11:20

Also, now dhex is the poet laureate/DJ of the Eastern shore of MD. Shit got weird.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Mar 2017, 12:36

Mo wrote:Also, now dhex is the poet laureate/DJ of the Eastern shore of MD. Shit got weird.
Though we hear he'd taking his act on the road these days.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Mar 2017, 14:40

Has Jennifer founded a free and independent media that doesn’t suck gov’t cock?
'Fraid not. As of nowadays I'm unhappily under-employed (though hoping to change that), happily married (and intending to keep that as is), and adjusting to life in a kudzu-infested suburb of Atlanta (not that Atlanta has any other kind).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Mar 2017, 20:52

Warren wrote:*looks at six*
*looks at elephant*
*looks back at six*
You shut your whore mouth. Right now! J/k

Or message peeps. However adults handle these things. Do that.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex