Hit and Run dies again

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
SugarFree

Hit and Run dies again

Post by SugarFree » 03 Feb 2017, 14:18

Just stopped in to see if any of you were watching/commenting the ongoing H&R commenter revolt. It's pretty interesting in a "truck full of diarrhea slams into school bus" sort of way.

I'm pretty done with it. Between the screeching of the Trumpkins and commenters leaving it's getting pretty grim in there.

Warren

Re: Hit and Run dies again

Post by Warren » 03 Feb 2017, 14:21

Just what we need, another Hit & Run thread. Oh, hey SugarFree.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » 03 Feb 2017, 14:27

There's talk of setting up something like this forum for the next set of refugees. I don't know if there are any you are interested in through a lifeline too, but now is the time to think about it.

A lot of people have announced they are leaving, but I'm just ghosting out. Too many people would cheer me leaving. And I might not be able to leave totally. It's an embarrassing addiction for me.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Feb 2017, 14:29

If only there were an existing forum they could all join...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Feb 2017, 14:31

Yeah, that's a great idea. Wish I thought of that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » 03 Feb 2017, 14:37

Andrew wrote:If only there were an existing forum they could all join...
Considering that the old-timers here fled H&R to get away from most of the people still on the board, I don't see how that would be too viable.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Feb 2017, 14:37

I was under the impression that some of the loudest idiots were the ones leaving. Wouldn't that improve the place, or at least free up some space from the shitposting?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 03 Feb 2017, 14:37

We're all still here (mostly) and still free (mostly).

You're cool, but we're going to need to set up camps temporary housing for the rest until they can be sorted and extremely vetted. Current dues are 3 cat pictures per week and the scalp of at least one member of Paul Krugman's extended family...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » 03 Feb 2017, 14:41

Hugh Akston wrote:I was under the impression that some of the loudest idiots were the ones leaving. Wouldn't that improve the place, or at least free up some space from the shitposting?
The Trumpkins leaving are no loss. They can fucking burn. But quite a few of the people leaving over sloopy's mom are normal humans.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Feb 2017, 14:44

SugarFree wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I was under the impression that some of the loudest idiots were the ones leaving. Wouldn't that improve the place, or at least free up some space from the shitposting?
The Trumpkins leaving are no loss. They can fucking burn. But quite a few of the people leaving over sloopy's mom are normal humans.
Who all is leaving over sloopysmomgate? I assume Sloopy and I know Riven said she was out.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » 03 Feb 2017, 14:50

Me, JW, Swiss Servator, tarran, (((Renegade))), Hamster of Doom, Banjos (of course). If we leave for good, Pro Libertate and Baked Penguin won't go back much, if at all. About 5 others who don't post much anymore.

I'm not gripped with rage about sloopy's mom, but me leaving as been building all through the election. It's just no fun anymore.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Feb 2017, 14:56

Hugh Akston wrote:
SugarFree wrote:
Who all is leaving over sloopysmomgate? I assume Sloopy and I know Riven said she was out.
What is that?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Feb 2017, 14:58

ProLib and BP haven't been around much anyway. Do you have contact info for some of those folks? I doubt Banjos would come over since sloopy holds this place in such disdain, but I'd like to see if I can talk to Hamster, tarran, or Renegade.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Feb 2017, 14:58

Me too also curious. I'm like 3 generations of H&R commentariat ago now. Maybe 4. Dang.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » 03 Feb 2017, 15:00

dbcooper wrote: What is that?

sloopy's mom was roughed up by the police and falsely despite pleas for Reason to look into the arrest and the very shoddy local journalism about it or--at a minimum--post an article about the situation, KMW turned him down.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Feb 2017, 15:01

I actually left more because the super adsy thing caused problems on the work machine, the layout hurt my eyes, and I felt like the articles were just too predictable in a libertarian 101 sense. That was probably ... pre Weigel?

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Feb 2017, 15:08

JasonL wrote:I actually left more because the super adsy thing caused problems on the work machine, the layout hurt my eyes, and I felt like the articles were just too predictable in a libertarian 101 sense. That was probably ... pre Weigel?
Pre Weigel? That's not four generations, that's more like four evolutionary steps.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 03 Feb 2017, 15:17

SugarFree wrote:
dbcooper wrote: What is that?

sloopy's mom was roughed up by the police and falsely despite pleas for Reason to look into the arrest and the very shoddy local journalism about it or--at a minimum--post an article about the situation, KMW turned him down.
Of course she did, it's interesting and timely...

"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Feb 2017, 15:41

I left around the time they started threading the comments, but seem to recall a vague hope a la "Surely, this Team Red business is only a response to there being a Dem in the White House -- next time we get a -(R), things will go back to normal, right?" Wrong.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jake

Post by Jake » 03 Feb 2017, 17:25

SugarFree! Good to see you again!

For what it's worth, I'd be perfectly fine with an influx of new blood. I need someone I can yell at to get off my lawn.
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Feb 2017, 19:46

Hey, SugarFree.

I really haven't paid attention for a long time. Back in 2013, I was apparently one of the few biters for a "Hey, please take this long survey on the site" and wrote them a book in the "Any suggestions?" box. They sent me an Amazon gift card for it, so there's that.

(Of course, my biggest suggestion was dear God, don't show the comments by default.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » 03 Feb 2017, 21:07

Eric the .5b wrote: dear God, don't show the comments by default.)
I'm not as mad at Reason as everyone else is; mostly just sick of the 70% of comments that are people bitching about the articles, bitching about past threads, bitching about a Tweet an editor sent, or just trolls and socks of trolls past.

The wheat to chaff ratio has just gotten out of whack. Short of them letting me permaban 10-15 idiots, bigots and Eddie all I can do is try to walk away.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 04 Feb 2017, 00:28

I'm honestly amazed anyone has stayed in that shitshow for this long. H&R was a large part of my loss of naïve faith in Libertarianism.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Feb 2017, 00:47

Number 6 wrote:I'm honestly amazed anyone has stayed in that shitshow for this long. H&R was a large part of my loss of naïve faith in Libertarianism.
Huh? H&R was just like every other cool thing. Nothing ruins a good thing like success. Most of the commenters wouldn't pass my libertarian purity test since the Bush administration.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 04 Feb 2017, 02:07

Warren wrote:
Number 6 wrote:I'm honestly amazed anyone has stayed in that shitshow for this long. H&R was a large part of my loss of naïve faith in Libertarianism.
Huh? H&R was just like every other cool thing. Nothing ruins a good thing like success. Most of the commenters wouldn't pass my libertarian purity test since the Bush administration.
I'm not interesting in purity tests. I'm interested in thoughtful, insightful comment, from whatever POV. There, it's howling and beating rocks together.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul