Hit and Run dies again

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Taktix®

Re: Hit and Run dies again

Post by Taktix® » 17 Feb 2017, 23:46

Friday Links? Did that come with the template?

Bah!
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Feb 2017, 04:25

nicole wrote:They are "taking back" a slur lobbed by The Master Troll.
OFFS.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 Feb 2017, 13:13

Are they trying to meme with the glibertarian name?

Bah! Bah i say! They shall go wanting ...
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » 19 Feb 2017, 20:52

You guys are more than welcome to come over and hang out. We would love to here from you.

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 24 Feb 2017, 18:14

I guess I should finally post something, and I may as well start here. Hi all. I probably started lurking at HnR just as this place was started, and began regularly posting when I got a day job with time for diversions. I know there's been drama before, and it was probably due for another 'cleanse.' The various commenter narratives about libertarianism, Reason, the culture war, got overheated during the election, and did not improve after Trump's ascension. Unfortunately, some of the more fun people left, and the trolls and Trumpkins pounced. That said, save the occasional whining, things have started to settle down.

I realized things hadn't reset after the election drama when the first comments to Matt's post on the EO said that the green card ban was "an issue," or "quite concerning." The executive of the federal government abruptly sics some of the worst agencies upon hundreds of thousands of people, people who had endured an extensive govt process for assurances of residency and travel, and that's merely something we should maybe be concerned about, pending further review. Not something presumptively horrible and worth getting too worked up over. It's not a 3 cent titanium tax or anything, the kind of thing that should really anger a true libertarian.

I wish luck to the new site, but I've got little interest in it. I've always found the culture war pretty boring, and the way it's developed at HnR during Obama's tenure and the rise of leftist hashtag activism is even more tedious. This split is like a sub-culture-war within that, and I can't think of anything more tiresome than a war over a comments section.

But maybe I'll post here, where I'm at least ignorant of any battle lines. I need some way to get through slow work days.
Guess I should find a funny sig, huh?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Feb 2017, 18:21

MJGreen wrote:The executive of the federal government abruptly sics some of the worst agencies upon hundreds of thousands of people, people who had endured an extensive govt process for assurances of residency and travel, and that's merely something we should maybe be concerned about, pending further review. Not something presumptively horrible and worth getting too worked up over. It's not a 3 cent titanium tax or anything, the kind of thing that should really anger a true libertarian.
Ha! Welcome to the Gryll, Mean Joe (assuming that's who your name is meant to invoke). Most of us here have the same eye-rolling attitude you do toward such attitudes: "Yeah, Trump will increase police stop-n-frisk harassment of minorities, encode religious bigotry back into federal law, increase ICE's reach to terrorize harmless people and break up families, raise crony capitalism to an art form and do all he can to shit on the Bill of Rights ... but he probably won't raise federal income taxes, which makes him the True Libertarian Candidate."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 24 Feb 2017, 18:26

MJGreen wrote:But maybe I'll post here, where I'm at least ignorant of any battle lines.
Welcome to the site, MJGreen. How do you feel about mayonnaise? :twisted:

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Feb 2017, 18:34

Jennifer wrote:Ha! Welcome to the Gryll, Mean Joe (assuming that's who your name is meant to invoke). Most of us here have the same eye-rolling attitude you do toward such attitudes.
I'm actually blanking on who wouldn't, at least who still posts here.

Welcome aboard and have a Coke, MJGreen.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Feb 2017, 18:36

Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Ha! Welcome to the Gryll, Mean Joe (assuming that's who your name is meant to invoke). Most of us here have the same eye-rolling attitude you do toward such attitudes.
As do I, but I still hesitate to speak on behalf of "all" people here, unless it's something super-obvious a la "All of us think Communism is inherently doomed to failure no matter how it is implemented."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Feb 2017, 18:39

Jennifer wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
As do I, but I still hesitate to speak on behalf of "all" people here, unless it's something super-obvious a la "All of us think Communism is inherently doomed to failure no matter how it is implemented."
Oh, fair enough.

Well, at least depending on whether anarcho-syndicalists call themselves communists. ;)

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Feb 2017, 20:32

MJGreen wrote:I guess I should finally post something, and I may as well start here. Hi all. I probably started lurking at HnR just as this place was started, and began regularly posting when I got a day job with time for diversions. I know there's been drama before, and it was probably due for another 'cleanse.' The various commenter narratives about libertarianism, Reason, the culture war, got overheated during the election, and did not improve after Trump's ascension. Unfortunately, some of the more fun people left, and the trolls and Trumpkins pounced. That said, save the occasional whining, things have started to settle down.

I realized things hadn't reset after the election drama when the first comments to Matt's post on the EO said that the green card ban was "an issue," or "quite concerning." The executive of the federal government abruptly sics some of the worst agencies upon hundreds of thousands of people, people who had endured an extensive govt process for assurances of residency and travel, and that's merely something we should maybe be concerned about, pending further review. Not something presumptively horrible and worth getting too worked up over. It's not a 3 cent titanium tax or anything, the kind of thing that should really anger a true libertarian.

I wish luck to the new site, but I've got little interest in it. I've always found the culture war pretty boring, and the way it's developed at HnR during Obama's tenure and the rise of leftist hashtag activism is even more tedious. This split is like a sub-culture-war within that, and I can't think of anything more tiresome than a war over a comments section.

But maybe I'll post here, where I'm at least ignorant of any battle lines. I need some way to get through slow work days.
Welcome aboard. Fortunately, most of the SJW discussion is segregated into one thread and is therefore easily avoided. Unless you're a compulsive completist like me and must mark all the threads read. :?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Feb 2017, 00:42

Protip: there's a "mark forums read" link at the top right of the window.

Mellow greetings MJGreen. Anyone who includes a Futurama reference in his first post is more than welcome here.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 25 Feb 2017, 00:56

Thanks, all! And thanks to nicole for reaching out.

I feel like I've heard a few different mayonnaise inside-jokes... is this one regarding eggs in mayo? With or without eggs, not a fan of the stuff.

While I do enjoy making fun of a lot of "SJW" stuff, because so much of it is ridiculous, I have been interested in sketching out where it might go right. A concept like privilege is not 100% nonsense, but there's no hope of talking it out when you'll just be cast off as a progtard or accused of - one of the worst terms of the last year - virtue signalling.
Guess I should find a funny sig, huh?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Feb 2017, 01:03

Welcome MJG.

I can understand your feelings about H&R. My own posting there has slowed down. I think I may post about once per week now.

I think you will find a more nuanced debate here, but all of us have our hobbyhorses. (I tend to care more about the Kulturewar stuff than most here.)

Tow your lions in and join the debate.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Feb 2017, 01:08

MJGreen wrote: A concept like privilege is not 100% nonsense, but there's no hope of talking it out when you'll just be cast off as a progtard or accused of - one of the worst terms of the last year - virtue signalling.
There's no time limit before new members can start threads of their own! And yeah -- for all that the concept CAN be abused by assholes who only use it as a shorthand attempt to shut down any conversation, there is some merit behind the concept, and it is worth discussing in a sane forum

I agree that "virtue signalling" probably is one of the worst terms of the year, even though it's only February. The flip side of the "check your privilege" coin -- used to shut down useful conversations, by people on the other end of the political/social spectrum. Say, if you want to discuss how the drug war disproportionately hurts black Americans, on the one side you've got SJWs yelling "check your privilege, whitebread" while on the other side you've got the alt-righters accusing you of "virtue signaling" because, of course, you can't possibly care about the topic for its own sake.

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Feb 2017, 10:55

MJGreen wrote:Thanks, all! And thanks to nicole for reaching out.

I feel like I've heard a few different mayonnaise inside-jokes... is this one regarding eggs in mayo? With or without eggs, not a fan of the stuff.

While I do enjoy making fun of a lot of "SJW" stuff, because so much of it is ridiculous, I have been interested in sketching out where it might go right. A concept like privilege is not 100% nonsense, but there's no hope of talking it out when you'll just be cast off as a progtard or accused of - one of the worst terms of the last year - virtue signalling.
The thing I like about this place is that there are so many threads and varied interests here is that chances are someone will talk about it.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 25 Feb 2017, 12:09

MJGreen wrote:I feel like I've heard a few different mayonnaise inside-jokes... is this one regarding eggs in mayo? With or without eggs, not a fan of the stuff.
DIE, HEATHEN! Uh, wait, I mean: for some reason mayonnaise and the liking or disliking of it has been a topic argued with great vehemence here. I'm not really sure why. I'm not sure anyone is really sure why, except: libertarians.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Feb 2017, 12:13

Eric the .5b wrote:

Welcome aboard and have a Coke, MJGreen.
Not Marijuana?
Welcome either way.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 25 Feb 2017, 13:56

MJGreen wrote: I wish luck to the new site, but I've got little interest in it.
Um, what new site?

And howdy!!
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Feb 2017, 13:58

fyodor wrote:
MJGreen wrote: I wish luck to the new site, but I've got little interest in it.
Um, what new site?

And howdy!!
Glibertarians?

None of us could ever join that; we're all far too serious.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Feb 2017, 15:03

Welcome! We'll hold the initiation ritual as soon as the goat's been cleared by the vet. (The last n00b initiation went...a little overboard.)
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Feb 2017, 04:41

MJGreen wrote:Thanks, all! And thanks to nicole for reaching out.

Yeah, the general centerpoint of this bunch is in the 'critical theory does uncover some actual issues that could/should be addressed, but holy shit are they woefully wrong about economics and no really just because you have a point about privilege doesn't mean that we throw out the last 250 years of enlightenment liberal thinking on trifles like due process.'

There have been 200-post arguments about whether mayo is even acceptable on BLTs, much less burgers.

I think there is consensus, though, that aoli is just fucking mayonnaise and needs to get over itself.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Feb 2017, 09:31

lunchstealer wrote:I think there is consensus, though, that aoli is just fucking mayonnaise and needs to get over itself.
Not hardly. There's just a large contingent of the semi civilized.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Feb 2017, 10:29

MJGreen wrote:I guess I should finally post something, and I may as well start here. Hi all. I probably started lurking at HnR just as this place was started, and began regularly posting when I got a day job with time for diversions. I know there's been drama before, and it was probably due for another 'cleanse.' The various commenter narratives about libertarianism, Reason, the culture war, got overheated during the election, and did not improve after Trump's ascension. Unfortunately, some of the more fun people left, and the trolls and Trumpkins pounced. That said, save the occasional whining, things have started to settle down.

Welcome, welcome! Yeah, things at H&R definitely did not reset. The interesting thing to me about the latest split vs. the existence of grylliade is that grylliade arose to get away from commenters (at least, that's my understanding), while the new site arose to get away from the content...and took just about all the commenters with it. So all the things that I would consider problems at H&R over the past 18 months or so are still problems at the new site. The biggest of which IMO is a seeming confusion over the fact that "libertarian" does not mean "rightist misanthrope."
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Feb 2017, 10:35

nicole wrote:So all the things that I would consider problems at H&R over the past 18 months or so are still problems at the new site. The biggest of which IMO is a seeming confusion over the fact that "libertarian" does not mean "rightist misanthrope."
Prescriptivism vs descriptivsm

Sent from a phone so their may be speling errors and autocorrect snafu's.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake