Fly the Friendly Skies...

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Warren

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Warren » 13 Jun 2018, 14:47

Kwix wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 14:20
Warren wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 11:57
I want price tied to usage. Cell phones should have a dollars per megabyte component. Air travel should have a dollars per pound component. You and all your luggage are weighed as you check in and your ticket price is adjusted accordingly.
If this could be done rapidly I would second this. On small planes (I'm talking Cessnas) they have to weigh everything and distribute it accordingly else bad things happen.
Nothing could be easier. The area in front of the check-in counter is a scale. When the person at the counter moves on, you step forward with all your luggage (as is already done). The cashier verifies all your stuff is within the designated area and software does the adjustment.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jun 2018, 16:07

Doesn’t according by for volume which is also a thing, but it’s a start

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jun 2018, 16:14

JasonL wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 16:07
Acknowledged.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jun 2018, 16:20

Warren wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 16:14
JasonL wrote:
Acknowledged.
Maybe a human version of the checked bag measure? Can you walk through this human shaped cut out? If you spill over into the yellow zone plus 10%, into the red zone +20%. There's no way that could go wrong. I should head up PR.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jun 2018, 16:28

JasonL wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 16:20
Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Acknowledged.
Maybe a human version of the checked bag measure? Can you walk through this human shaped cut out? If you spill over into the yellow zone plus 10%, into the red zone +20%. There's no way that could go wrong. I should head up PR.
Heh.
For passenger travel, the weight/volume distinction isn't necessary save for some upper limit on luggage volume.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Jun 2018, 19:01

Warren wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 14:47
Kwix wrote:
Warren wrote:
I want price tied to usage. Cell phones should have a dollars per megabyte component. Air travel should have a dollars per pound component. You and all your luggage are weighed as you check in and your ticket price is adjusted accordingly.
If this could be done rapidly I would second this. On small planes (I'm talking Cessnas) they have to weigh everything and distribute it accordingly else bad things happen.
Nothing could be easier. The area in front of the check-in counter is a scale. When the person at the counter moves on, you step forward with all your luggage (as is already done). The cashier verifies all your stuff is within the designated area and software does the adjustment.
...do people actually go to the check-in counter?

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Jun 2018, 19:03

JasonL wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 16:20
Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Acknowledged.
Lol this is exactly what I want
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jun 2018, 20:17

Jadagul wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 19:01
Warren wrote:
Kwix wrote:
Warren wrote:
Yes. Actual people do.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Jun 2018, 20:34

Warren wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 20:17
Jadagul wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 19:01
Warren wrote:
Kwix wrote:
Warren wrote:
Yes. Actual people do.
Why?

If you're not checking bags, you can get the boarding pass on your phone, or print it out before you leave. Or both. You get to the airport and go straight to security.

And even if I don't do that, I'm pretty much always checking it at a kiosk, not at the actual check-in counter. If I'm not checking bags I almost never talk to a staffer before I get to the gate.

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Jun 2018, 20:39

Cause a lot of people do check in bags. I do.

I count the kiosk as a counter, because you are stopping there to do stuff. It's a lot of counters, but that's just good staffing (because it doesn't need people).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jun 2018, 23:33

International flights frequently require a counter visit.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Jun 2018, 10:21

Nice petit man in the seat next to me heading home 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Jun 2018, 10:43

i'd be more amenable to the concept of pay by volume if they extended the seat spacing so i could put my feet down flat in most cases.

(newer southwest planes are much better on this but only in those door adjacent rows in the middle.)

eta: also accounting for room for folks in front who insist on putting their seats back. i'd insist on avoiding the "i'll keep throwing my bodyweight into the seat despite the guy behind me saying 'excuse me sir my knees are much like shakira's hips in that they do not tell falsehoods' and pretending i didn't hear his incredible witticisms which are covering up the murderous rage he now harbors for me" thing.

if you're gonna charge for volume you have to accommodate said volume. all knees matter.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Jun 2018, 10:49

Mo wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 23:33
International flights frequently require a counter visit.
Also traveling with babbies.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Jun 2018, 13:01

dhex wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 10:43
if you're gonna charge for volume you have to accommodate said volume. all knees matter.
True dat, although again I only fly airlines with an economy+ option with more legroom, Southwest excepted on shorter routes, but that has so far only counted for a total of ten or maybe 14 legs of flights in the past 30 years.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Jun 2018, 13:44

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 13:01
dhex wrote:
True dat, although again I only fly airlines with an economy+ option with more legroom, Southwest excepted on shorter routes, but that has so far only counted for a total of ten or maybe 14 legs of flights in the past 30 years.
That pretty much exceeds the total legs of flights I've had in the past 30 years.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2018, 13:47

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 13:01
dhex wrote:
I seldom even have an option for anything other than economy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 15 Jun 2018, 00:25

dhex wrote:
i'd insist on avoiding the "i'll keep throwing my bodyweight into the seat despite the guy behind me saying 'excuse me sir my knees are much like shakira's hips in that they do not tell falsehoods' and pretending i didn't hear his incredible witticisms which are covering up the murderous rage he now harbors for me" thing.
That guy was in front of me on a Frankfurt (not Frankfort) to Newark flight once! I did not rip off his head and stuff it into an overhead bin, which is why I expect to be canonized upon my death. (I merely threatened to do so, which is why I also expect my canonization to be mildly controversial.)
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jun 2018, 09:31

Jake wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 00:25
dhex wrote:
i'd insist on avoiding the "i'll keep throwing my bodyweight into the seat despite the guy behind me saying 'excuse me sir my knees are much like shakira's hips in that they do not tell falsehoods' and pretending i didn't hear his incredible witticisms which are covering up the murderous rage he now harbors for me" thing.
That guy was in front of me on a Frankfurt (not Frankfort) to Newark flight once! I did not rip off his head and stuff it into an overhead bin, which is why I expect to be canonized upon my death. (I merely threatened to do so, which is why I also expect my canonization to be mildly controversial.)
Really? I'd expect both you guys to fly as cargo. You know, just out of common courtesy.

lol jk?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 15 Jun 2018, 11:27

Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 09:31
Jake wrote:
dhex wrote:
Really? I'd expect both you guys to fly as cargo. You know, just out of common courtesy.

lol jk?
Shit. Wait until you're stuffed in the back of a C-141 with 160 guys as big as Jake and dhex and every last one of them has 100+ pounds of gear strapped to them. Commercial air is a picnic comparatively. Plus, you get to land with the plane!
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 15 Jun 2018, 11:40

tr0g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:27
Warren wrote:
Jake wrote:
dhex wrote:

lol jk?
Shit. Wait until you're stuffed in the back of a C-141 with 160 guys as big as Jake and dhex and every last one of them has 100+ pounds of gear strapped to them. Commercial air is a picnic comparatively. Plus, you get to land with the plane!
It can’t be worse than a C-140, in which jumpmasters seem to believe “Surely we can fit a couple more jumpers in here.”
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jun 2018, 11:44

tr0g wrote:
Warren wrote:
Jake wrote:
dhex wrote:

lol jk?
I've never exited the plane prior to landing, but I flew on C-130s. They issued ear plugs at check-in and there were no chairs per se. They just strapped you in with cargo netting.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 15 Jun 2018, 11:51

Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:44
tr0g wrote:
Warren wrote:
Jake wrote:
dhex wrote:

lol jk?
I've never exited the plane prior to landing, but I flew on C-130s. They issued ear plugs at check-in and there were no chairs per se. They just strapped you in with cargo netting.
There's nothing like being strapped in on an Air Force plane when the crew chief comes back and climbs over you to start pulling avionics boxes off the wall. At that point, you start thinking the option to exit the aircraft in flight is looking pretty good.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jun 2018, 11:55

tr0g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:51
There's nothing like being strapped in on an Air Force plane when the crew chief comes back and climbs over you to start pulling avionics boxes off the wall. At that point, you start thinking the option to exit the aircraft in flight is looking pretty good.
They didn't issue parachutes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 15 Jun 2018, 15:01

Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:55
tr0g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:51
They didn't issue parachutes.
That's because you were never dumb motivated enough to go to jump school and get on airborne status.