Pot gets a Boehner

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Aresen

Pot gets a Boehner

Post by Aresen » 11 Apr 2018, 13:49

Former House Speaker John Boehner Once Opposed Marijuana Legalization. Now He's a Pot Lobbyist.
John Boehner wrote:I’m joining the board of #AcreageHoldings because my thinking on cannabis has evolved. I’m convinced de-scheduling the drug is needed so we can do research, help our veterans, and reverse the opioid epidemic ravaging our communities.
I would like to think he is doing it on principle, but it's more likely for the pay.

JFMHC, I hate politicians who suddenly grow a pair after they are out of office.
Last edited by Aresen on 13 Apr 2018, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Re: Pot gets a Bhoener

Post by thoreau » 11 Apr 2018, 14:55

If a law enforcement lobbying group offered him a better compensation package he'd be a prohibitionist in a heartbeat.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Apr 2018, 15:16

Regarding people like this -- or the "I used to think gays were evil until my kid came out of the closet" or Nancy Reagan's "I used to think certain types of medical research should be illegal -- until Ronnie came down with those medical conditions in question" -- I really don't know if they even deserve "change of heart" credit, so much as "their bigotry only lasted until it hurt them." Something someone here pointed out once, IIRC; you do NOT see people saying things like "You know, I used to think serial killers were evil -- until my own son admitted he was one." The fact that no sane, decent person does this with serial killers or other no-shit hurting-people-criminals, whereas they DO pull such stunts with "I hated gays until someone I loved was one" or "I opposed research which could cure this horrible illness - until I or someone I cared about got it" -- IMO that shows that deep down, they knew all along how dishonest and vile their opposition was.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Apr 2018, 15:42

thoreau wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 14:55
If a law enforcement lobbying group offered him a better compensation package he'd be a prohibitionist in a heartbeat.
A real change of heart actually seems plausible to me. His son in law is a black Jamaican immigrant construction worker who was once busted for misdemeanor pot possession. He is now father to Boehner's grandkid. Exposure to an actual person who has had a run in with dumb law may have changed his mind.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Apr 2018, 16:50

Having a friend or family member, someone you know is a decent person, in a demonized group can make someone rethink their previous opinions. Especially given that many people opt to disown loved ones who turn out to be in some demonized out-group, up to and including kicking out their gay kids,, I prefer the people who go, "Dang, I was wrong."
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Apr 2018, 16:59

Eric the .5b wrote:Having a friend or family member, someone you know is a decent person, in a demonized group can make someone rethink their previous opinions. Especially given that many people opt to disown loved ones who turn out to be in some demonized out-group, up to and including kicking out their gay kids,, I prefer the people who go, "Dang, I was wrong."
Yeah there’s not as much credit as for people who are convinced without a loved one who are affected, but there are plenty who just make exceptions for their loved ones or who straight disown, so they could be worse.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Apr 2018, 17:26

I don't think we're giving enough credit to the idea that this isn't a change of heart at all. Rather his anti-pot position as a congressman was strictly a matter of political expediency.
My readings suggest that many congresscritters throughout the 70's - 00's towed the WOD lion without conviction.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2018, 18:56

Eric the .5b wrote:Having a friend or family member, someone you know is a decent person, in a demonized group can make someone rethink their previous opinions. Especially given that many people opt to disown loved ones who turn out to be in some demonized out-group, up to and including kicking out their gay kids,, I prefer the people who go, "Dang, I was wrong."
This. Sometimes seeing is believing
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Apr 2018, 19:01

It appears a similar phenomenin moved the needle on gays.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Apr 2018, 21:08

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 19:01
It appears a similar phenomenin moved the needle on gays.
IIRC the needle moved on gays as the new guard displaced the old guard. I don't remember any individuals actually changing their views on it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT