Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8593
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by nicole » 31 Dec 2017, 11:19

Warren wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 11:11
My problem with holding the SWATer culpable for the death, is what if the SWAT team didn't shoot anybody? Is his crime less? I want competent police. We'll never get them so long as we keep giving them a free pass. I want the police held accountable for their actions, and I want people that falsely report crimes held accountable for theirs. And I don't think falsely reporting crimes is a lesser crime if the police aren't given a pass.
I mean attempted murder is a lesser crime than murder, yes.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21887
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by Jennifer » 31 Dec 2017, 13:25

The swatter-asshole already has a record for calling in a hoax bomb threat; was sentenced to IIRC around two years in prison for it, and apparently not a single lesson was learned by him. Plus, the Twitter account he'd had before it got suspended was something like @SWAuTistic .
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23584
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by Warren » 31 Dec 2017, 13:36

Jennifer wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 13:25
The swatter-asshole already has a record for calling in a hoax bomb threat; was sentenced to IIRC around two years in prison for it, and apparently not a single lesson was learned by him. Plus, the Twitter account he'd had before it got suspended was something like @SWAuTistic .
If that's true, I'd be very interested to hear what he has to say for himself.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21887
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by Jennifer » 31 Dec 2017, 13:42

Warren wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 13:36
Jennifer wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 13:25
The swatter-asshole already has a record for calling in a hoax bomb threat; was sentenced to IIRC around two years in prison for it, and apparently not a single lesson was learned by him. Plus, the Twitter account he'd had before it got suspended was something like @SWAuTistic .
If that's true, I'd be very interested to hear what he has to say for himself.
Google his name and you'll find plenty. After the murder but before his arrest he was still online arguing that it totally wasn't his fault. And before that, he has a fairly long history of either threatening to make swat or bomb threats, or bragging about having done so.

He's 25 years old right now; it's not even like you can say "Hmm, well, maybe he'll outgrow this once he finishes puberty and hopefully develops some empathy."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21887
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by Jennifer » 31 Dec 2017, 13:48

Here's some info Brian Krebs had before Burriss' arrest, including screenshots of him boasting on Twitter that the house he swatted is on the news.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/12/kan ... ng-attack/
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22467
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by Mo » 31 Dec 2017, 23:38

Warren wrote:My problem with holding the SWATer culpable for the death, is what if the SWAT team didn't shoot anybody? Is his crime less? I want competent police. We'll never get them so long as we keep giving them a free pass. I want the police held accountable for their actions, and I want people that falsely report crimes held accountable for theirs. And I don't think falsely reporting crimes is a lesser crime if the police aren't given a pass.
If you assault someone and they get a black eye, you get assault. If you assault someone in an identical manner and kill them, you get murder.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15475
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Jan 2018, 16:00

Aresen wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 19:05
Highway wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 13:34
I hold him to partial blame for the shooting as well. Someone being shot is a likely outcome of a SWAT raid. Not a rare outcome. A likely outcome, especially when it's a SWAT raid for a supposed shooting and hostage situation. You call that in, you hold responsibility for putting all the people there in danger. Is it murder? No. But is there culpability? Yes.
Team Highway. People who SWAT others know damn well that the cops are primed to over-react. The prank caller had to be aware of the possibility of deadly force being used. I'd put it on the level of a person driving at high speed whose car goes out of control and kills a pedestrian.
I would be unsurprised if a prosecutor could get an indictment on depraved-indifference homicide or at least manslaughter. And no jury is going to refuse to convict an asshole who gets someone killed over a fucking Call of Duty game.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15475
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Jan 2018, 16:03

Mo wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 23:38
Warren wrote:My problem with holding the SWATer culpable for the death, is what if the SWAT team didn't shoot anybody? Is his crime less? I want competent police. We'll never get them so long as we keep giving them a free pass. I want the police held accountable for their actions, and I want people that falsely report crimes held accountable for theirs. And I don't think falsely reporting crimes is a lesser crime if the police aren't given a pass.
If you assault someone and they get a black eye, you get assault. If you assault someone in an identical manner and kill them, you get murder.
Yeah, there are plenty of situations where a bad result drives up the crime. Reckless driving vs vehicular manslaughter, etc.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15475
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Jan 2018, 16:14

Highway wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 14:54
Would I like this to end with the double benefit of the cops disbanding or severely curtailing the use of SWAT teams? Yeah. We've seen that most of them are used for dubious deployments, for drug raids and non-violent offenders. Would that end up with an increase in the danger to cops? Yeah, it probably would. I personally don't think that's necessarily a bad trade, because that's what their job is supposed to be, what they repeatedly claim it is, yet what it rarely is. But as usual, how we get from here to there is the question there isn't a good answer for.
It won't result in reform because this is the one scenario that SWAT might be most legitimate. Hostage situations are one of the primary justifications of the original development of SWAT teams.

SWAT raids on mayors is what will maybe curtail SWAT, and almost nothing else.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 25596
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by thoreau » 01 Jan 2018, 16:43

"911, what's your emergency?"
"A man is threatening to set off a bomb if he doesn't get what he wants."
"Where are you calling from?"
"Mar Lago."
"Can you describe the hostage taker?"
"Orange, fat, elderly."
"And who is he threatening?"
"A fat Asian man in his 30's."
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 13888
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by Aresen » 12 Jan 2018, 18:00

So they have put manslaughter charges on the SWAT caller. Don't hold your breath for any cop to be accountable.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 21887
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jan 2018, 13:30

lunchstealer wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 16:14
Highway wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 14:54
Would I like this to end with the double benefit of the cops disbanding or severely curtailing the use of SWAT teams? Yeah. We've seen that most of them are used for dubious deployments, for drug raids and non-violent offenders. Would that end up with an increase in the danger to cops? Yeah, it probably would. I personally don't think that's necessarily a bad trade, because that's what their job is supposed to be, what they repeatedly claim it is, yet what it rarely is. But as usual, how we get from here to there is the question there isn't a good answer for.
It won't result in reform because this is the one scenario that SWAT might be most legitimate. Hostage situations are one of the primary justifications of the original development of SWAT teams.

SWAT raids on mayors is what will maybe curtail SWAT, and almost nothing else.
The hell of it is, even if the call were 100 percent legit the cop STILL fucked up -- shooting whoever answered the door the second it opened? That could've been the hostage opening the door while the bad guy held a gun to his head.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15475
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Prank SWAT Call May Have Led to Wichita Police Killing a Random Man on His Own Doorstep

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Jan 2018, 14:07

But for the proles, that’s a level of nuance that just won’t get past the Thin Blue Line apologists.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests