Columbia Students Interrupted a Sex and Gender Class to Protest a Professor They Disagree With

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
Warren

Columbia Students Interrupted a Sex and Gender Class to Protest a Professor They Disagree With

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2017, 09:36

Enough. I think of myself as a free speech extremist. But your right to free speech isn't a license to trespass or vandalize. We're past the point of civil discourse. These spoiled self-indulgent brats need to start being arrested and prosecuted.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Re: Columbia Students Interrupted a Sex and Gender Class to Protest a Professor They Disagree With

Post by Aresen » 09 Oct 2017, 10:49

"The World of the Social Justice Warrior" Chapter MMMDCCLXXVI

Maybe I'm jaded, but I've seen it too often to be surprised any more. Wake me when an Ivy League university actually takes a stand against that sort of thing.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Re: Columbia Students Interrupted a Sex and Gender Class to Protest a Professor They Disagree With

Post by thoreau » 09 Oct 2017, 11:02

Based on her CV, I'd say that this is the revolution eating its own.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2017, 11:07

Aresen wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 10:49
"The World of the Social Justice Warrior" Chapter MMMDCCLXXVI

Maybe I'm jaded, but I've seen it too often to be surprised any more. Wake me when an Ivy League university actually takes a stand against that sort of thing.
I'd settle for a Tier 3.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Oct 2017, 11:15

Tier 3 schools have fewer incidents like this, because these incidents are not just about ideology but also about spoiled upbringings. And kids who don't have jobs.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Oct 2017, 11:49

The rape allegations in the Buzzfeed article linked from H&R are pretty awful. The student alleges two violent rapes by an unknown assailant, one of which involved penetration with a hairbrush, scissors and a razor. And the Title IX people didn't care?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Oct 2017, 17:58

Columbia is a big place but not quite that big... Dunno. Could be a lot of explanations.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Oct 2017, 18:11

Why is this its own topic?
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Oct 2017, 19:48

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 18:11
The Hit & Run Over subforum is for us to link to H&R articles to discuss without having to be in the H&R comments section.

As distinct from the H&R-was-better-under-Postrel thread which is for meta-discussion of H&R and its commenters.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Oct 2017, 19:58

I'm an advocate of more topics even though I'm terrible at practicing what I preach.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Oct 2017, 20:30

Kolohe wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 19:58
I'm an advocate of more topics even though I'm terrible at practicing what I preach.
We could start a thread about people like Kolohe who are reluctant to start threads.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2017, 20:47

Hahaha!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Oct 2017, 13:52

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 19:48
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 18:11
The Hit & Run Over subforum is for us to link to H&R articles to discuss without having to be in the H&R comments section.

As distinct from the H&R-was-better-under-Postrel thread which is for meta-discussion of H&R and its commenters.
We have at least two threads about how SJW college kids will totes destroy the world..

Mind, I was violently raped and the school did nothing is a world of difference from the usual trigger of being painfully disagreed with.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Oct 2017, 14:30

Has Rolling Stone investigated yet?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Oct 2017, 14:47

Dangerman wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 14:30
Has Rolling Stone investigated yet?
Nice.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex