Search found 16334 matches

by JasonL
Today, 15:54
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: The Abortion Thread
Replies: 352
Views: 16323

Re: The Abortion Thread

I don't find DNA or species technical specs compelling either. I don't find morphology very compelling either to be honest. It has to do with the degree to which I think there is a self reflective mental space. I understand that may not be until way after birth in some views but I don't think we kno...
by JasonL
Today, 14:45
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: The Abortion Thread
Replies: 352
Views: 16323

Re: The Abortion Thread

I thought the Hughes article was pretty decent. It seems to me that the question of personhood taken seriously has to be mostly independent of something like Eric's slippery slope. It may matter in a practical political sense how strident the opposition is to any abortion under any circumstances, bu...
by JasonL
Yesterday, 16:27
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: The Abortion Thread
Replies: 352
Views: 16323

Re: The Abortion Thread

This thread (longer than two tweets) pretty much covers my take on the "is it about controlling women" question: https://twitter.com/willwilkinson/status/1128719530602237954 I don't generally buy that type of argument - the thing where you may not be actively seeking to control women but you would ...
by JasonL
Yesterday, 16:08
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

Tariffs are native trees and you are pretending they aren't.
by JasonL
Yesterday, 15:16
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: Home $weet Home
Replies: 1927
Views: 85289

Re: Home $weet Home

Pham Nuwen wrote:
20 May 2019, 22:28
Yo. Anyone have any thoughts on foreclosures in nicer areas? Are people still smashing everything to bits like supposedly happened in 08'?
Good inspector not cheap inspector.
by JasonL
Yesterday, 15:13
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: The Abortion Thread
Replies: 352
Views: 16323

Re: The Abortion Thread

By the way, I don't think all pro-life people are trying to control women's bodies, but I do think a portion of pro-life women buy into that subconsciously. That it's about making the "right" choices and having consequences if you don't. Like, look, I was a good woman and behaved myself so I didn't...
by JasonL
Yesterday, 10:49
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Inequality
Replies: 1420
Views: 54251

Re: Inequality

The use of "vice signalling" I've seen has a slightly different flavor. It's basically the argument that liberal people engage in displays of caring and so forth that signal their good standing to their group - we call that virtue signalling, but other people play the bad guys in outrage culture, co...
by JasonL
20 May 2019, 21:50
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: The Abortion Thread
Replies: 352
Views: 16323

Re: The Abortion Thread

Real talk because this has been a legitimate question in my mind - Do any and all here think that slavery is worse than or less awful than murder? I'm guessing the default is murder because it's irreversible, but I sometimes think that murder causes less suffering than slavery, so maybe slavery is ...
by JasonL
20 May 2019, 17:26
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: The Abortion Thread
Replies: 352
Views: 16323

Re: The Abortion Thread

They. Think. It. Is. Murder. The balancing of rights and interests in that view is murder vs. something less than murder.
by JasonL
20 May 2019, 15:59
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: The Abortion Thread
Replies: 352
Views: 16323

Re: The Abortion Thread

It’s not that hard if you put on the “it’s murder” hat. No yeah buts, just imagine you thought it was murder like if the child was killed after birth. I disagree with their view but I don’t find it confusing. They would say - there are 2 people with rights here one of them is going to be murdered.
by JasonL
20 May 2019, 15:54
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

And if those people voted for a mad dotard who will let himself be compromised by a foreign power, doesn't that have to be laid at their feet? Doesn't that call into question whether this is a case where the coequal legislative branch of government should exercise its constitutional authority to re...
by JasonL
20 May 2019, 15:37
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

My primary concerns with this line of suggesting / even saying "see I told you so" because trump has tariffs and ergo all the russia stooge stuff is true is, well, the main issue is 62.9 million people voted for this guy. Not because of russia. Not because of hacks. Not because of anything other tha...
by JasonL
20 May 2019, 14:55
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

I have repeatedly said that I don't think it is a high-dimensional chessboard. How many times do I have to keep repeating that disclaimer? I keep offering simple scenarios: Trump is an idiot who has helped Russians move dirty money, they used that to get close to him, they helped him, they flatter ...
by JasonL
20 May 2019, 14:52
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

Putin suggesting policies isn’t dumb guy crazy talk. Everyone suggests policies. All the time forever to any President. Saying that the reason we have tariffs on China is because is of Putin is dumb guy crazy talk. Calling that out doesn’t make me a defender of tariffs, a fan of trump, or best bros...
by JasonL
20 May 2019, 09:32
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)
Replies: 1221
Views: 44555

Re: A Game of ... THEY KILLED WHO?!?!? (hbo spoilers)

Mo wrote:
20 May 2019, 08:25
Bran 2020, he'll make Westeros regular again!
There's something to be said for that.
by JasonL
20 May 2019, 06:41
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Putin on the Writs

Putin suggesting policies isn’t dumb guy crazy talk. Everyone suggests policies. All the time forever to any President. Saying that the reason we have tariffs on China is because is of Putin is dumb guy crazy talk. Calling that out doesn’t make me a defender of tariffs, a fan of trump, or best bros ...
by JasonL
20 May 2019, 06:32
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

Taktix[emoji2400] wrote:Forsooth if we had only listened to the smart persons!
Who are those.
by JasonL
19 May 2019, 20:04
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

Of course Putin wanted trump to win. It is also obvious that he did a range of things to help the campaign. That’s not the eyerolly part. The “there’s a Russian stooge in the Whitehorse” thing using “look Chinese tariffs help Russia SEE????!!” as evidence is not a smart person take.
by JasonL
19 May 2019, 15:58
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: Home $weet Home
Replies: 1927
Views: 85289

Re: Home $weet Home

I attempted a sweeping decluttering of our spare room to turn it into a home office. Mainly what was in there was clean, perfectly nice clothes that never get worn for whatever reason (don't fit, not someone's style, etc.) A cold, rational assessment of my laziness revealed that if I decided to don...
by JasonL
19 May 2019, 08:31
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

Infiltrated AFL-CIO. IN PLAIN SIGHT.
by JasonL
19 May 2019, 08:27
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

Taktix[emoji2400] wrote:
JasonL wrote:
18 May 2019, 22:30
That’s so dumb.
Hard to argue with that. :roll:
JasonL wrote:
18 May 2019, 22:30
Bernie would be doing the same thing by his own campaign promises.
A socialist caucusing with the Democrats is bad on trade policy? Ya don't say.
Anyone who wants tariffs gets this outcome. You just made up the rest.
by JasonL
18 May 2019, 22:30
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

That’s so dumb. Bernie would be doing the same thing by his own campaign promises.
by JasonL
18 May 2019, 22:03
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Putin on the Writs
Replies: 628
Views: 28916

Re: Putin on the Writs

He ran on tariffs. His people want tariffs. On the Chinese. This is what that looks like.
by JasonL
16 May 2019, 15:28
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: The Abortion Thread
Replies: 352
Views: 16323

Re: The Abortion Thread

Right - there's only terrible politics and imagery. You'd better get ALL of the true believers out to vote because you lost 51% of everyone else