Search found 330 matches

by Solitudinarian
01 Feb 2018, 20:23
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: Sweets for the sweet
Replies: 21
Views: 303

Re: Sweets for the sweet

The local crack dealers AKA Girl Scouts unloaded ten boxes of Thin Mint cookies on me. I’m not sure which I hate more, their utter lack of morals or my utter lack of self-control.
by Solitudinarian
27 Jan 2018, 19:28
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: You Learn Something New Every Day
Replies: 4036
Views: 134153

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

ZZ Top was born out of the ashes of one of two Zombies impersonator bands touring the United States two years after the original Zombies broke up. I suspect Billy Gibbons, Dan Mitchell, and Lanier Grieg might take issue with your statement. It's a Frank and Dusty story. The article? Sure. But ZZ To...
by Solitudinarian
27 Jan 2018, 18:39
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: You Learn Something New Every Day
Replies: 4036
Views: 134153

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Warren wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 17:09
ZZ Top was born out of the ashes of one of two Zombies impersonator bands touring the United States two years after the original Zombies broke up.
I suspect Billy Gibbons, Dan Mitchell, and Lanier Grieg might take issue with your statement.
by Solitudinarian
24 Jan 2018, 17:49
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: This is the thread for people who died, died.
Replies: 2104
Views: 84127

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Mark E. Smith is dead at 60. Thank you, God.
by Solitudinarian
07 Jan 2018, 19:41
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: This Life is Absurd
Replies: 106
Views: 3578

Re: This Life is Absurd

the innominate one wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 15:48
Were the people at Oglaf involved in making that?
by Solitudinarian
24 Dec 2017, 20:11
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: JOYOUS SOLSTICE
Replies: 234
Views: 12735

Re: JOYOUS SOLSTICE

Aresen wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 17:43
Merry Christmas / Happy Hannukkah / Joyous Solstice / Good Saturnalia / Festive Festivus / Kool Kwanzaa, Awesome Alban Arthan, Joyeux Noël, Ein frohes Weihnachtsfest, Счастливого Рождества, etc
Why do you have to be so exclusive?
by Solitudinarian
23 Dec 2017, 20:13
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: Guns and Whatnot.
Replies: 345
Views: 16901

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

JasonL wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 20:09
I do not. I don’t carry much at home anymore either tbh. Glove box, nightstand, trunk kinda guy these days.
Interesting. What changed?
by Solitudinarian
23 Dec 2017, 20:02
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: Guns and Whatnot.
Replies: 345
Views: 16901

Re: Guns and Whatnot.

For all we know, there could be a huge amount of successful defensive firearm deployments where there are no shots fired at all. I am sure of it. But here's a question for the thread: Do you carry when traveling on vacation? Depending on destination and method of travel, I check my Big Book o' Stat...
by Solitudinarian
23 Dec 2017, 13:19
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Observations of the Random sort
Replies: 8714
Views: 246302

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Shem wrote:
23 Dec 2017, 13:09
I hear the airport is good if you want to leave Tuscon.
Good to know should they block the roads to prevent our departure.
by Solitudinarian
23 Dec 2017, 12:35
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Observations of the Random sort
Replies: 8714
Views: 246302

Re: Observations of the Random sort

On the basis of recommendations given to me here in April, the delightfully irascible Mrs. S and I now find ourselves in Tucson. Any suggestions for sightseeing or, even more importantly, dining?
by Solitudinarian
09 Dec 2017, 14:18
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Private Money!
Replies: 753
Views: 34083

Re: Private Money!

Warren wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 12:33
Mo wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 12:07
Warren wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 11:26
but they'll joo you on the price.
Image
Over the line?
Is there an acceptable turn of phrase that means that?
Are you kidding? No other phrase comes to mind except that one?
by Solitudinarian
07 Dec 2017, 11:12
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: How's the weather? v. 1.1
Replies: 3109
Views: 116349

Re: How's the weather? v. 1.1

El Paso receives a faint dusting of snow. Chaos ensues.
by Solitudinarian
04 Dec 2017, 22:38
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: You Learn Something New Every Day
Replies: 4036
Views: 134153

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

lunchstealer wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 21:43
(it doesn't explain the mystery of why anyone would intentionally watch anything by Rankin Bass, ever)
Because Christmas is the most magical, masochistic time of the year.
by Solitudinarian
30 Nov 2017, 15:52
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: Laura Ingalls Wilder/Rose Wilder Lane
Replies: 46
Views: 5117

Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder/Rose Wilder Lane

Jennifer wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 14:12
Libertarianism.org has an interesting take on that "Prairie Fires" book here:

https://www.libertarianism.org/columns/ ... ttle-house
Good article. Makes me think I've done myself an injustice by not reading the books before now.
by Solitudinarian
27 Nov 2017, 00:20
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: the list of those things which are not food
Replies: 891
Views: 31938

Re: the list of those things which are not food

thoreau wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 00:13
Mo, prepare to have a stroke.Image
There is a God. And apparently He hates us.
by Solitudinarian
20 Nov 2017, 02:16
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: This is the thread for people who died, died.
Replies: 2104
Views: 84127

Re: This is the thread for people who died, died.

Good riddance, Charlie Manson.
by Solitudinarian
19 Nov 2017, 11:58
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: No touching! - sexual impropriety thread
Replies: 499
Views: 10438

Re: No touching! - sexual impropriety thread

I see your point about Franken and incentives, but as a dude working in academia there's no goddamn way I'm making that argument. If women want to make it, go for it. Hang on, because I'm not sure I understand. Am I to assume that you won't make an argument on a fairly obscure libertarian forum bec...
by Solitudinarian
19 Nov 2017, 10:51
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: No touching! - sexual impropriety thread
Replies: 499
Views: 10438

Re: No touching! - sexual impropriety thread

I see your point about Franken and incentives, but as a dude working in academia there's no goddamn way I'm making that argument. If women want to make it, go for it. Hang on, because I'm not sure I understand. Am I to assume that you won't make an argument on a fairly obscure libertarian forum bec...
by Solitudinarian
17 Nov 2017, 16:20
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Inequality
Replies: 1035
Views: 34006

Re: Inequality

On the other hand, although money will not enable you to buy your way out of the human condition, it certainly can help make yourself more comfortable as you stand in line waiting to die.
by Solitudinarian
17 Nov 2017, 16:14
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: the list of those things which are not food
Replies: 891
Views: 31938

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Mary's nephew was selling krispy kreme for some school group he's in. We bought a dozen glazed and they arrived today. I ate one. It was a disgusting amalgamation of sucrose, fat, and starch. No actual flavor, just dopamine triggers. And now I want another one. These things aren't food they're culi...
by Solitudinarian
14 Nov 2017, 09:37
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Occam, Trump, and Russia
Replies: 599
Views: 13291

Re: Occam, Trump, and Russia

thoreau wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 00:56
Hey! Look! Over there!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/13/politics/ ... index.html
After all, just because crime and corruption may be involved with "over there" doesn't mean we should look into it.
by Solitudinarian
13 Nov 2017, 15:29
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Observations of the Random sort
Replies: 8714
Views: 246302

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 14:57
Reading something, it strikes me that the very people who most object to elected judges are the same ones who get the most indignant at the idea of someone avoiding jury duty.
Curious. Why do you think that might be?
by Solitudinarian
13 Nov 2017, 12:47
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: Ruin a thread for dhex
Replies: 32
Views: 861

Re: Ruin a thread for dhex

WHAT IF WE JUST STARTED WRITING IN ALL CAPS?
by Solitudinarian
13 Nov 2017, 12:43
Forum: The Joys of Life
Topic: the list of those things which are not food
Replies: 891
Views: 31938

Re: the list of those things which are not food

Ellie wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:21
Image
I always suspected that was the Harvey Weinstein of pizza.
by Solitudinarian
04 Nov 2017, 17:48
Forum: General Chatter
Topic: Random news finds
Replies: 1286
Views: 46519

Re: Random news finds

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 17:43
I don't think I could try seafood pizza though.
A pizza frutti di mare is a wonderful thing.